Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 202 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 250 before gear. I've heard conflicting thoughts on springs for the rear - stock is fine and need to go heavier. Thinking I need to order up a set of heavy springs for my XCR. What did you bigger boys do on your VR-1's last year and were you happy with the results?

·
Registered
15 Pro-S/15 8RR/21 850 XRS
1,848 Posts
If you do change them. Don’t cheap out and not revalve the shocks. Just the springs alone won’t fix it. Shocks must be revalved to match the weight and rebound also must be matched for heavier springs.

·
Premium Member
MY21 650 SBA 146, ES, ICE Storm 1.5
6,316 Posts
I'm 250 before gear. I've heard conflicting thoughts on springs for the rear - stock is fine and need to go heavier. Thinking I need to order up a set of heavy springs for my XCR. What did you bigger boys do on your VR-1's last year and were you happy with the results?
The MY22 XCR runs the same Torsion Spring
7045190-329SPRING-TOR,.359S,80,11#,LH BLK [STD]

Rear Torsion spring as the MY21-22 VR1. It also uses the same Front Track Shock coilover spring as the MY21-22 VR1.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The MY22 XCR runs the same Torsion Spring
7045190-329SPRING-TOR,.359S,80,11#,LH BLK [STD]

Rear Torsion spring as the MY21-22 VR1. It also uses the same Front Track Shock coilover spring as the MY21-22 VR1.
Yes, I was aware of that. That's why I wondering if anyone had exprience going heavier on their '21 VR-1.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Im probably 285 before gear. I’ve never upgraded to heavier springs on any of my sleds. Ride mostly good trails tho in northern Wisconsin and some ditches if we get good snow around home. I may try heavier springs this year on my 22 VR1 though.

·
Registered
2021 VR1 850 129" with 1.5 Storm
28 Posts
I am 230 before gear, have a 21 VR1 and found stock to be too soft for aggressive riding. At the end of last season I purchased and will be soon installing the HD Torsion Springs for this season along with a full Hygear suspension upgrade.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am 230 before gear, have a 21 VR1 and found stock to be too soft for aggressive riding. At the end of last season I purchased and will be soon installing the HD Torsion Springs for this season along with a full Hygear suspension upgrade.
Likely what I will do, too. Being that the 2" Hi-Lo WE's are new to me, I'll probably run those as is first to get a feel and then send 'em out to Hygear for next year.

·
Registered
2021 Matryx VR1 650 Blue and Silver; 2002 Indy 500; 1993 Indy Trail Deluxe (original owner)
34 Posts
I rode a VR1 850 for a weekend last year - I go 230 geared up - Med setting on stock torsions with the rear clicker at 3 from soft and only had 2 "soft" bottom outs on a couple of deep dips.
The trails were pretty smooth for the most part and I was riding semi aggressively.
I will be trying my VR1 650 with the stock springs to start the season, but may jack it up to high for more aggressive riding on worse trails.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
692 Posts
I rode a VR1 850 for a weekend last year - I go 230 geared up - Med setting on stock torsions with the rear clicker at 3 from soft and only had 2 "soft" bottom outs on a couple of deep dips.
The trails were pretty smooth for the most part and I was riding semi aggressively.
I will be trying my VR1 650 with the stock springs to start the season, but may jack it up to high for more aggressive riding on worse trails.
Good info. Thank you.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
457 Posts
Your new XCR should be fine in the rough stuff, it will a more comfortable
if you pass through the rough sections like a jockey does riding a horse
or motocross rider going through the whoops, there never sitting on the
seat......

·
Premium Member
2021 Matryx VR1 850 137 Storm
2,208 Posts
I'm over 250 with gear. No spring upgrade needed with the 2022 XCR. I have enough miles on this sled to confirm this. Never went past medium on the torsion setting. The WE shocks were valved perfectly for my weight. If you are 300+, buy the next size bigger torsion spring.

1 - 20 of 202 Posts