Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently returned to snowmobiling after a 12 year absence, Years ago, the parks would be the only place to ride/set up a sled prior to the opening of the trail system(when snow levels permitted).
Has this practice stopped for some reason?
Are the parks not allowing snowmobiling till the trail system opens even if they have over a foot of snow?
New sled.....always counted on the parks to blow the dust out....and after a dozen years I have alot of dust.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Chestnut Ridge has "changed" .
From my past experiences, you could always go to the Ridge and ride when there was enough snow, NY legal limit is ....???... what 3" . But if there was enough snow, you could buzz around the park.
Lot of guys went there.
Until a couple seasons ago, where we got good early snow in late November and early December, guys were going to the Ridge and riding out of the park on the trails.

Hamburg Club maintains them, they must have been getting calls about guys riding, probably coming from the Ridge, and i'm guessing, they pressured the park guys to say no riding in the park until all the trails open,,,, like Dec 21 or such.
Hamburg club was blowing up their Facebook page when that was happening.

Now.... That doesn't mean you can't go to Emery Park ( at the end of the 400 ) or down to Sprague Brook, as you mentioned.
Hamburg doesn't maintain that area, so those ( 2 ) parks you can ride around in. At least , i haven't heard otherwise.

I've ridden Sprague Brook on Thanksgiving day and like April 9th from a freak Nor'easter we got.
That's a good Park to get a shake down run in and make sure all your stuff is working and in order.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hate when public land usage gets throttled back, the whole reason the trails don't open till a certain date is because of the hunters, seeing that hunting is not allowed in the parks, snowmobilers should be allowed to use them when plentiful snow permits, like they have been in the past for decades.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Back in the day, one of my best friends lived in a house right inside of Chesnut Ridge County Park (his father was the on-site park manager), and the park was our personal playground. Back when leaf spring chariots ruled the winter, we thought riding from Chesnut Ridge to Kissing Bridge and back was "a big day".

I remember when there was snow, riding 3-wheeled ATCs in the park was legal. Are ATCs and ATVs still allowed in the park when there is adequate snow???

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'm in the Hamburg club and I used to enjoy the pre-season rip around the ridge too. They changed it a couple of years ago because scofflaws went around the closed signs and the gates as well to get out on trails before they opened. The landowners then call the club and threaten to revoke permission to use their land.

Not sure about ATV's. I don't think they are allowed. ATC's are definitely not allowed as they can't be registered.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
ATC's are definitely not allowed as they can't be registered.
No, 2-wheeled dirt bikes and 3-wheeled ATCs can still be legally registered as ATVs in New York State. I think you can even legally register an Argo 8X8 as an ATV in New York State.

3-wheeled ATCs are no longer legal for AMA-sanctioned and insured events though.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I went to the park Thursday, a couple of park trucks drove by me but left me alone. Unloaded my new Pantera and proceeded with the breakin process, easy 25 miles on the belt, burnished the pads and ended up putting on 45 miles in a park that I had all to myself. Been along time since I have rode. Packed down about of foot of fresh snow, when I got done it looked like a fleet of sleds went through. Best day I've had in a long time. Thaw coming, hoping to plan a getaway up in onterio when conditions are prime for touring.
2019 Pantera 6000 is exceeding my expectations so far, my first rider forward sled, so lots to get used to.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
A bit late of a reply..... it did you run over any dog walkers..???

Why they walk on the sno mo side of the Park is beyond me.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A bit late of a reply..... it did you run over any dog walkers..???

Why they walk on the sno mo side of the Park is beyond me.
Seen one dog walker and one snow shoe person. I tried to run through some of the trails but too tough to make out where they are exactly. but ran from one side to the other with not hardly seeing anyone for 2 hours.....good day......now waiting for the real thing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts