Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a top end set for a '91 Indy 500 that I am trying to get going from a local sled shop. It consisted of full gasket set, bored cylinders (exchange for my old cylinders), and SPI Pistons. Setup was only $250 which I didn't think was too bad of a deal. First question is what is the ring gap? Next question is the rings don't seem to fit too well in the piston grooves. I measured them and the rings are about .0025" bigger than the grove on the piston. They won't even slide in without alittle force (which I have not done yet). Any idea's on this?

Thanks in advance,

Jason

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just measured the ring gap and it seems to be at .008". I also remeasured the ring width to piston groove difference and it seems to be more like .0015 difference again with the ring being too big. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
File the gaps to their proper size. SPI's a notorious for having tight gaps. I like to put a small chamfer on the ring end. In addition, make sure that the small, almost invisable mark on the ring is facing up. You'll find the mark near the end gap. If you're half blind like me, use a maginfying glass. Reading glasses work good too. :)

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
IT"S ALIVE!!!! Got it put together tonight. I put this motor together using 3 different motors so I had alot of parts to sort through. Seems to run fairly good with no unusual noises. I let it warm up before I shut it off. I usually do this a couple of times to help break in. Might not do anything but has always seemed to work for me. I still have to finish going through it. I do believe that I have it sold though which is sweet. The prospective buyer (my neighbor) came over tonight to snowblow my driveway and hear the 500 run. He was impressed even though it was alittle boggy and smokes like hell (mixed gas and used probably a cup of 2 stroke oil during assembly). Thanks again for help guys.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.