Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a used 2006 C6 the speedo is wacked showing about 3 times the actual speed that I'm doing racking up miles like crazy. Changed the speedp sensor tried out a brand new speedo . no fix. Local dealer is stumped. Waiting to hear from Cat. The sled just came off warranty. Help???

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
You probably know about the kilometer setting

Also inside your gearcase is an magnetic retainer - The speedo sensor picks up signals from this - Speedo sensor is mounted on the outside of gearcase

Did your dealer take the gearcase apart ???

·
Registered
98 Posts
Thats really weird you said that. I brought my sled into the dealer today for the exact same thing. Mine the "speedo" and "trip" were way off and in some cases reading 4 times the actual speed/miles. The funny thing was is that the rpm's were accurate. I'll let you know what the dealer's fix is when I get it back.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have 06 X-fire 600 and having the same problem. I replaced the speed sensor, but it still seems that the speedo is way off, tach is fine.
Have to say what a rush it was flying at 285mph, even though it really didn't feel like it!

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
My buddy had the exact same problem with his Firecat last year... It took the dealer all season to find the problem, now it's fixed but he has over 5000 miles on his sled and they won't set it back. Anyways, they ended up switching the hood wiring and that fixed it. I guess something happened that a wiring harness from a reverse sled got installed on his DD sled by accident. I'm not sure if thats the same thing with yours, but the symptoms sound similar, So it's something to check out!!!

:beerchug:

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I ordered up the wiring harness should get it on Friday I'll let everyone know. The cat tech told the dealer to change the speedo sensor again. The sensor tested ok had the DD apart everything ok. I guess they don't have a clue so they'll say anything. THANKS CAT STARTING TO LEAVE A SOUR TASTE IN MY MOUTH

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Hope that fixes it for you. My buddy is gonna have to ride all this season with his speedo disconnected just to get his miles down to what they should be. I wish there was some other way to set it back, being digital, I'm sure there is but there not sayin!!!

:beerchug:

·
Registered
705 Posts
I have the same problem. Sounds very wide spread. Mine is stuck in KPH and saw 412 kph last week! Tach was fine for awhile then everything went wacko. Tach would start at 9999 and then go down as real RPM's increased. Now it flashes lights and switches modes buy itself while the needle does sweeps arcross the whole gauge. I have no idea whats going on. Hope to hear that a wiring harness would be the fix.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tried the wiring harness no fix. Ordered a magnet plate and trying another speed sensor. Still no help from cat GREAT SERVICE!!!! Maybe I'l try changing the right ski.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Make sure the part numbers for the gauge & Hood harness are correct for the sled model. To check the speed switch, connect a continuity tester to the switch and rotate the track shaft one revolution.
On '06 models the speed switch should open and close 3 times per one revolution of the track shaft.
If the speedo reads 3 times the actual speed, it is likely the gauge is set for a speed calibration of 1 pulse per rev.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The retainer magnet ring did not work. I mentioned earlier that I tested a new speedo it was part number 0620-292 for some reason xfire has part number 0620-300 ??? My sled has a 292 in it probably from new, what is the difference? the 292 ran in the 06 firecat. I'm trying out a brand new 300 gauge to see if that is the problem. If the gauge is the problem is there a way to make the 292 gauge work in my xfire.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Listen to this I tried a 0620-300 gauge and it works the 0620-292 reads 3 times the speed. The dealer figures the early build 06 Crossfires came with a 300 gauge and the later builds came with a 292. What's the diff no one can tell me???I guess my gauge has been changed somewhere along the road.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts