Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2021 VR1 850, 18 Tiger 8000, 17 RS 6000, 16 ZR 6000, 12 F1100T, 11 EXT 800, 09 Z1 Turbo, 05 ZR 900
10,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys and girls I had a new magnet and voltage regulator put in last week went riding this weekend and my lights and speedo would go out after a pull to 70 or 80 mph and then would flash back on when I hit the brake. Also at this time and this may be worth noting here my tail light was out when all the lights, brake light and speedo were working, so now I'm assuming the VR puked out the tail light, so when I get home I pull the sled out of the trailer and in to the barn, and the damn tail light is working WTF, so I pull the seat, and the connector for the rear tail light harness near the gas tank is covered in ice and now I'm thinking maybe this is causing a short and then for some reason when I hit the brakes it some how clears the short. Is this because maybe when I'm accelerating on a long pull the ice I found may be water when the sled is running and floods the connector and when I hit the brakes the water rolls foward away from the connector? I'm looking for some insight I mean this sucks I can't ride at night and then I can only test ride on trips as there is no snow in Illinois.

·
Registered
69 Posts
That's interesting Skull - Last week Wednesday I just started to get the ice build-up under the seat. Saturday the speedo went haywire - working when it wanted to. If that connector is getting shorted I guess I'll replace it with a sealed connector. I think I have a few 2 conductor pachard style connectors in the shop - they should do the trick. I have resealed the tunnel/heat exchanger seal twice now - to telling when it will let go again.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I beleive my voltage regulator is either shot, or there is a severe short in my sled. The headlights are all blown and do not work and the speedo/tach only works at low rpms. I hate electical problems. Hard to track down. Tonight I will try to test the voltage regultor. I beleive it is supposed to be outputting 14.2 volts at 3000 rpms. If it is higher, then I will assume it is shot. If it is lower, then I guess the fun begins of figuring out where the short may be.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Skull-- my issues sound similar to yours. I have an appt with my dealer tomorrow afternoon, I will let you know what they find.

·
Registered
69 Posts
My dealer called today! They found a connector behind the speedo was loose, cleaned it and reassembled. Seems to work fine now, I guess only miles will tell. If that was the problem, I feel like a dumb a$$ - I never thought to look at that connector. Keeping my fingers crossed ;) .

·
Registered
2021 VR1 850, 18 Tiger 8000, 17 RS 6000, 16 ZR 6000, 12 F1100T, 11 EXT 800, 09 Z1 Turbo, 05 ZR 900
10,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Messick, I had the VR changed last week, and the it did show signs of wear from the speedo magnet I hoped this would be the end of my problems. I also sealed the heat exchanger with RTV which eliminated the frozen waterfalls on each side of the tunnel. I will be going thru the sled tonite myself and when I'm done I'll post what I found or didn't find, the real bitch tho is I really can't test till the weekend because there is snow here.

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bilbat did you notice if your lights went out when speedo did?

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I found a couple of problems tonight, #1 The Magnet on the end of the driveshaft right behind the VR was 80% toast and was chewing into the VR note all this stuff was replaced last week by the dealer. #2 Here's the kicker when the mechanic replaced the VR I think he should have ran the wiring and connertors coming from the VR between the footrest and the bulkhead this is where the coolant hose runs down to the running board I'm not sure about this as I don't have another F7 to look at right now, but the reason I think this is so, is the VR connectors and the main wiring harness have been F**KING :angry: destroyed by the secondary. BTW if any one wants too would you check out the routing of wiring coming out of the VR to confirm my suspicions. Thanks :)

VR= Voltage Regulator

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I wish I would have read your post before I left home and I could have helped you with the wiring. So you are looking at another VR and magnet, plus repairing the wiring? Any thoughts as to why they failed the second time?

·
Registered
69 Posts
The head lights were working fine. I was riding at night when the first failure occured.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Guys, dealer put in new lights and VR yesterday and I was able to ride 60 miles on a river last night and everything worked great. Hopefully it stays that way.

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by F7 SkullCat@Feb 11 2003, 11:20 PM
Well I found a couple of problems tonight, #1 The Magnet on the end of the driveshaft right behind the VR was 80% toast and was chewing into the VR note all this stuff was replaced last week by the dealer. #2 Here's  the kicker when the mechanic replaced the VR I think he should have ran the wiring and connertors coming from the VR between the footrest and the bulkhead this is where the coolant hose runs down to the running board I'm not sure about this as I don't have another F7 to look at right now, but the reason I think this is so, is the VR connectors and the main wiring harness have been F**KING :angry:  destroyed by the secondary. BTW if any one wants too would you check out the routing of wiring coming out of the VR to confirm my suspicions. Thanks :)

VR= Voltage Regulator
I don't know why the magnet failed, but I guess it must be a problem for others as the part has been on backorder for over a week. As far as the wiring harness well it wasn't routed properly, but it will be next time as I'm doing it myself.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts