Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got caught by the radar trap on the trail north of Barrie on Saturday. I got caught doing 50km over the speed limit on the radar. The officer was somewhat understanding seeing that I only pinned it on a straightway when there was no one in sight. Still doesn't make it right, nor do I want to discuss the ethics of it in the post because I know I am guilty and wrong for my actions. The officer wrote up the ticket telling me there are no points against my driver's record and just a fine of $110. However now that I read the ticket it says speeding in access of 50km/h on public trail? I am concerned that this is going to kill my insurance rates and my driver's record? It was my first time out all season and 15 mins on the trail with a new sled I was trying to break in and it ruined my day riding. Any feedback from anyone who has been in this situtation would be greatly appreciated?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Man that sucks...I don't have much insight for you...a buddy and I were out our second ride of the season on our new sleds and we got stopped by the OPP...They were very good with us and let us off with a warning after checking our registartion etc..... Thankfully he only locked us in at 64 km/h.....but from my understanding it should only be the fine that you are worried about in this case

·
Registered
7 Posts
A friend of mine got stopped in Vermont going 80 mph in a 35 mph zone. The officer checked his information and let him go. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't :/. That sucks man.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I got caught by the radar trap on the trail north of Barrie on Saturday. I got caught doing 50km over the speed limit on the radar. The officer was somewhat understanding seeing that I only pinned it on a straightway when there was no one in sight. Still doesn't make it right, nor do I want to discuss the ethics of it in the post because I know I am guilty and wrong for my actions. The officer wrote up the ticket telling me there are no points against my driver's record and just a fine of $110. However now that I read the ticket it says speeding in access of 50km/h on public trail? I am concerned that this is going to kill my insurance rates and my driver's record? It was my first time out all season and 15 mins on the trail with a new sled I was trying to break in and it ruined my day riding. Any feedback from anyone who has been in this situtation would be greatly appreciated?
I ride in distict 5, and never see opp, but i am sure they are out there. i will get popped one of these days...I should say i am glad it does not affect out insurance... Wonder if a cronic speeder that gets popped several times in a year, what will happen to him or her...politically correct!!!:rofl:

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Myself and a couple others got dinged last year ... same thing, $110, no points, no nothing, no hit to the insurance ... it's MSVA, not HTA. This has been discussed on here many times before, and confirmed by "friends in the know" :thumbsup:.

Sorry about your luck, but it's just a "pay-to-play" system :rolleyes:.

·
Registered
53 Posts
No points, no insurance hit, just a pain in the ass fine. My friends and I, we just split the ticket cost and carry on. It's too bad that the only places you usually find the speed traps are on the wide open trails where 50k/h is just dumb. It is a good income for them. Every type of sledder gets tickets with these set-ups, it doesn't solve any problems. You want to do some good with a police presence on the trails? Then set up your traps at dangerous sections of the trail where you get the idiots going mach-stupid on the wrong side of the trail in the blind corner. (just have an observer with a radio watching the corner, make the stop down the trail)

I've never been run into the rhubarb by anyone doing whatever speed on a straight stretch.

·
Registered
856 Posts
(5) Speed limits prescribed by this section or any regulation made or by-law passed under this section do not apply to a motorized snow vehicle operated by a police officer or conservation officer in the lawful performance of his or her duties. R.S.O. 1990, c. M.44, s. 14 (5).

is this fair?

/

·
Registered
856 Posts
Escape by flight
(3) If a person is convicted of an offence under subsection (2) and the court is satisfied on the evidence that the person wilfully continued to avoid police when a police officer gave pursuit,
(a) the person is liable to a fine of not less than $5,000 and not more than $25,000, instead of the fine described in clause (2) (a);
(b) the court shall make an order imprisoning the person for a term of not less than 14 days and not more than six months, instead of the term described in clause (2) (b); and
(c) the court shall make an order suspending the person’s driver’s licence or motorized snow vehicle’s operator’s licence,
(i) for a period of five years, unless subclause (ii) applies, or
(ii) for a period of not less than 10 years, if the court is satisfied on the evidence that the person’s conduct or the pursuit resulted in the death of or bodily harm to any person. 2000, c. 30, s. 8.
Lifetime suspension
(4) An order under subclause (3) (c) (ii) may suspend the person’s driver’s licence or motorized snow vehicle operator’s licence for the remainder of the person’s life. 2000, c. 30, s. 8.
This is not a good idea...need my licence

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I really appreciate all of the feedback from everyone and I am feeling better now that I won't lose my license or have an issue with my driving record. Been a tough a week for me because I also found out that I got let go at work due to restructuring. I guess when it rains it pours. Praying for more snow so that I can enjoy the sledding season with all the extra time off I guess. Be safe out there!

·
Registered
1988 Polaris indy classic trail, 1999 ZR 800 CC, 2008 F-1000 ,2016 Pro S 800, 2020 Assault 800
1,053 Posts
no problem, no insurance problem, last place you can drive fast for now
is not linked to insurance or abstract

·
Registered
764 Posts
fuck that noise. It's still a field! Speed limits in a corn field!! HAHAHAHAHAAAA!!! Even funnier is thinking the pricks belong there, and defending them! Hilarious is not telling them they're douchebags, and giving them the finger on the way by. Makes me want to rush right out and drop $250 so I can get a fine in a cornfield shoved in my cornhole.

·
Registered
6 Posts
fuck that noise. It's still a field! Speed limits in a corn field!! HAHAHAHAHAAAA!!! Even funnier is thinking the pricks belong there, and defending them! Hilarious is not telling them they're douchebags, and giving them the finger on the way by. Makes me want to rush right out and drop $250 so I can get a fine in a cornfield shoved in my cornhole.
Then how about "Tresspassing" or Destruction of property...those sound better than speeding tickets.
Stay on marked trails, go whatever speed you want..but pay the consequences, simple.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts