Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I own a ZR 700 and can only get 95 mph out of it. Got a buddy with a ZR580 that keeps up with me easily and another with a Polaris 700 that blows the track off me. I have a heel clicker clutch on it which helps me lift the skis about a foot n' half but no top speed. Also breaks the clutch spring every trip.

Looking for help to make this thing catch up?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No I haven't try stock clutch. I bought it like this. The heel clicker clutch is a set of different weights. I didn't want to mess with it. THe belt is practically new. I've been told that the clicker puts all the torque at the track...this is why it lifts so easily.

I thought there might be some magic to get me more horse power to produce more speed. I'm sure this beast must be able to go faster than 95. Dealer suggested different reeds and before I spend $200 I wanted to know if it works. Somebody also mentioned changing the exhaust!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I had a similar problem with my 93 580Z had a couple of cracked engine mounts once I got those reweled and got my alignment done I was doing 97mph on a stock 580Z.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Who installed the Heel clickers?? I hope they notched the clutch cause if not the weights will hit and limit travel or full shift out. That could be why the spring keeps breaking?? What RPM is it at when it's doing 95? :cn:

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Take CA$500.00 and your ZR700 up to Arnies CatHouse and let Arnie do his thing.
My '99 ZR700 radared at 107.9 mph (2000') carrying my 285# load along for the ride.

-Heads cut.
-Airbox gutted and vented.
-Arnies Clutching set-up (???)
-Jetting

Arnie will get it flying.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
your 700 is piston port not case reed. it does have something similar to a reed petal but it's made of metal.

·
Registered
400 Posts
It sounds to me like you have issues with your clutches (possibly gearing). I don't think you need to do any engine mods to get it to do what its already supposed to do. Just figure out where the problem is. Do the black marker/pencil line trick on the clutch sheaves to see if it's shifting out, go from there.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
heel clickers are your problem...trash them...no top end what soever.

they are great for holeshots...get a set of supertips weights and clutch accordingly. you will be much happier...im going to be running them this year....

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
btw, the reeds for our sled is only 50 bucks....boyesens...there are no vforce or anything like that for the 700. just boyesens....which are better....but it's in your clutching....

·
Registered
11,320 Posts
Put everything back to stock and start from there, 99'needed updates, find out if they were done.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I'll second the vote on throwing out the heelclickers, I lost 7 mph top end when I put the heelclickers in.
Yeah, it launches nice and gets out front, but the top end loss wasn't worth it to me.

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
Can I suggest a newer ZR or an F-7. The money you will save in gas with an efi or power valve sled plus what you have to spend to go faster, might make it worth it.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Originally posted by zrnewf@Oct 14 2005, 08:49 AM
btw,  the reeds for our sled is only 50 bucks....boyesens...there are no vforce or anything like that for the 700.  just boyesens....which are better....but it's in your clutching....
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=929104
[/quote]

I believe CarbonTech also offer reeds for the ZR700. Royal Distributing can help there. Check there online catalog. But see Arnie first.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
yes carbon tech makes them too but I like the dual stage of the boyesens and personal experince goes along way I ahve them and they work...my buddy had carbon techs and they broke. as for the dude above sugesting a different sled...i get 12 mpg no problem and my sleds a rocket now.

·
Registered
431 Posts
95 on the speedo, and 95 on radar is a totally different thing, by my speedo I should be running about 125 but really its more like 102, on radar.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Originally posted by Hooper700@Oct 14 2005, 11:13 PM
95 on the speedo, and 95 on radar is a totally different thing, by my speedo I should be running about 125 but really its more like 102, on radar.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=930852
[/quote]
Yes, the AC speedos are one of the most innacurate speedos back in those days.

Even my buds '03' ZR900 at 80mph on GPS, reads well over the 100mph mark on his speedo.

95mph on radar or GPS for the old-school piston port 700, is not that bad. They barely made 110hp on the dyno.

Hoopers 700's on the other hand.......140+hp and they go like stink!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Arnie Swemmer as well as all the other big names are at Toronto raceway this weekend for an asphault shootout. This used to be called cayuga. Take a trip down and talk to the guys, most of them are very open and will share their thoughts with you. :beerchug:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts