Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey I wanted to some opinions of other people that ride ofsc. In each of the last 2 years i've ridden the trails, I've at some point in time ventured onto the trails on an idle tuesday or thursday, and found myself with a ticket for going to fast down a trail with no one on it ( read: not one sled in the 1-1 1/2 I was out riding). and of course its not just one cop, its like 5 of them, which only adds to the frustration.

anyway I wanted to see hwo its going for other riders, what they do to cope? is there anywhere riders can post reports on speed traps? any other ways to avoid?

anyone just not stop at ride checks or blow off speed traps?

what abotu gettign a bunch of riders to put in 10-20$ each. first and second to get a ticket gets it paid for (after havign it reduced). everyone else is then wise to the locations of speed traps and such and have some prediction?

Its about time when i have to think about shelling nearly 200$ for a trail pass but i can't afford that if they're gonna gouge me 2 months into the season.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I've run across several radar traps in the MSR. They seem to favour the C trail in and around Bracebridge.
Fortunitely some fool on a fartcan equipped sled has usually roared into the trap before me and drawn all their wrath. Some say "loud sleds save lives" which of course is bull but those loud sleds have sure saved me from some tickets. LOL.
So, how much is the flat rate speeding ticket we've heard about?

·
Registered
206 Posts
I've been caught red handed speeding but they have always let me off with a warning . They were usually aroung Wingham B108. They seem happy I stopped and had all my paper work.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lol i'm up in Sault ste. Marie standard rate is 110$

i got one coming around a sweeping curve, but lots of room, just saw a group stopped on the trail it was after i saw them beside. and the [email protected] tried to get me to stop my sled in the middle of the trail!!

last year they were 1/4 down the trail, across a street, on top of a hill behind a railway crossing. it was a thursday around 2:00 and like 5 of them were there! so then i loose 1/2 an hour, and then they bug me abotu the can i had on (which was there when i bought it and at that time i couldn't get the stock can for it. needless to say as soon as i got around the bend, out of sight but well within earshot, BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP!!!!

but anyway my point is that we all know ofsc is having a hard time with insurance. 50 km/h, which can be dead slow, is a liability thing. theres times when thats all you can do safely, but others where you can easily double that. It's the riders responsability to excercise some judgment. and they should let us. On weekends/nights etc, I slow down. but when the trail is empty, and i've got a clear view, i'll open up. By patrolling on idle weekdays, they are filling hours, but they come into contact with a significantly reduced number of riders. thus they are much less effective. And that means the focus of them there shifts from SAFTEY to TAXATION! its a money grab. it doesn't do anythign good. and 5 guys out there on a thursday afternoon?! what a blatant waste of resources!!!!

my dilema.

ride from home. 180$ to ofsc. ~60% of gas money goes to gov't. 110 a year goes to gov't crap. = 290+gas

Ride michigan= 33$ canadian for trail pass. gas is cheaper there. rail grade trails, safe to ride faster. =33$ + gas. sure i loose some convenience, but even if i get ticket, i'm still better off. therefor ridign michigan i have a good $$$ buffer.

·
Registered
21,087 Posts
i I usually see them out by whitman dam raod going out of search mont. They have seen me going go full tilt on my sled. I just stop and bull shit with them and have never gotten a ticket. Most of them are pretty cool guys.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok so you know where i'm talking about then, rigth after you cross 4th line?...

maybe i just have bad luck, or maybe its one of those prejudices. being 19 with an 800 with a can. they saw me doing 115k and when they asked me about it i just kinda shrugged. lol i think i mentioned soemthign abotu how it was empty, and then they got into this "oh well what if someone was comging the other way drunk in a corner and you'd be at fault" and i was just think" yeah ok thats really the situation here................" then they gave me some bull abotu how one of them knew my parents like 20 years ago and how they'd hate to see me wad up my sled or something....

·
Registered
876 Posts
I have yet to see a cop on the trails yet...i am lucky as well i did not have insurance or ownership this year i only got to start to run my sled was in january..so there was no point..not worth it..they usualy only come out on friday nights..i have seen..so i stayed away from friday riding last year..this year i will be insured and all! :banana:

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
I've never been stopped for speeding myself, only for ownership and insurance.

I agree with the use your judgement rule, obviously on a tighter twisty trail on a saturday you should slow down, but anytime you can see up ahead, let her loose, wheres the problem with that, cops would do it too.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
While we're on the topic,
I've twice been forced off the trail by oncoming out-of-control, trail hogging S.T.O.P. officers and their cling-on buddy's. It would seem that being a stop office must be a license to speed and ride on the left side through the twisties. :dunno:

And they just give blank "who me" stares and denials when I bring that up as the reason I refuse to buy their fund-raising raffle tickets at the Toronto Snowmobile Show.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Originally posted by MUSKOKA800@Aug 23 2005, 10:17 AM
While we're on the topic,
I've twice been forced off the trail by oncoming out-of-control, trail hogging S.T.O.P. officers and their cling-on buddy's. It would seem that being a stop office must be a license to speed and ride on the left side through the twisties.  :dunno:

And they just give blank "who me" stares and denials when I bring that up as the reason I refuse to buy their fund-raising raffle tickets at the Toronto Snowmobile Show.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=844606
[/quote]good for you!just seem to have ride programs down here in eastern ontario.i have never been pulled over on the trail.

·
Super Advanced Lummox
17,767 Posts
Nate quit your whining

That situation you are talking about has more to do with the SAULT_STE_MARIE POLICE then to do with the OFSC

People in that area you described probably complained about loud speeding sleds to the SSM Police departement hence the radar

Our clubs up here have NO control on when the Sudbury Police or OPP go out,mind ya I have yet to hear of a radar trap around here,but they are out there collecting fines for their own pockets that NEVER find there way back into the trails

Don't blame the local club nor the OFSC blame the OPP or SSM Police

BTW hope to meet ya next feb :div20:

·
Premium Member
15,688 Posts
If you're on a main TOPS trail anywhere near a town there is always the possibility of radar or speed traps. I haven't seen anyone in the absolute boonies though.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by FreezerBurnt@Aug 23 2005, 05:35 PM
Nate quit your whining

That situation you are talking about has more to do with the SAULT_STE_MARIE POLICE then to do with the OFSC

People in that area you described probably complained about loud speeding sleds to the SSM Police departement hence the radar

Our clubs up here have NO control on when the Sudbury Police or OPP go out,mind ya I have yet to hear of a radar trap around here,but they are out there collecting fines for their own pockets that NEVER find there way back into the trails

Don't blame the local club nor the OFSC blame the OPP or SSM Police
BTW hope to meet ya next feb :div20:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=844995
[/quote]

lol! freeze your everywhere. Ah, what can i say, long summer. damn opp. by the way theres like no houses in the area at all. If you make it this way i will def. see you in feb.

cheers

jamie, that thing looks sweet. if only i could afford it!

·
Registered
738 Posts
I've saw four speed traps in all my time riding. Three of them were on the Seguin. They sure love to smack people on that rail bed. Actually saw two in one day there, about 2-3 km from each other. Have never saw one up in the Searchmont area though.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I agree, I have been stopped (RADAR)on the seguin around Burks falls at the end of the railway line...I have also been stopped at night on lake simcoe, the police just checked ownership and insurance. They said that there is a sled stolen once a week on the lake. It is funny to see the flashing lights on a snowmobile at night, you think it is a joke until you get close to them.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I find that the Bracebridge area has to be one of the worst. It is not uncommon to get stopped 4 times in one day and that does not include speeding.

I find that when you see the signs on the trail that say"radar enforced" you SLOW DOWN.

In the north Timmins etc just make sure you slow down when you come into the town limits and you will be OK

Utopia

·
Registered
298 Posts
1 - 20 of 157 Posts