Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been covered many times, but it was always without any diffinitive conclusion.
Before I punch holes in my F7 SnoPro track I am trying to figure out whether or not I need the 144 Megabites for aggressive trail riding or not. I don't do lake drags..............not yet anyway.
I know a few of you have run the 102 double digger pattern down the middle. And still others are running 144 and even more.
Obviously 102 is less weight for the track to sling, and it should give pretty good traction for the trails, but am I increasing the risk of a tear out with that number of studs.
Sorry to rehash this again, but I don't want to put in more than I really need.

Thanks,

Kevin :unsure:

·
Registered
516 Posts
Hey Kev i'm gonna put 102 stainless with single green plastic plate backers using the stud boy template. Of the 260 some miles i've ridden so far this sno pro track really hooks up nice on the hard packed trail. There were only a few times i missed not having them in yet, an icy corner and the slick snow covered roads leading to the trails. I'm sure 102 would dig enough in those instances, if not i'm under the impression you can add more with the 102 pattern. As far as tear out, i'm not sure either but i've had my wifes sled's in the past with 96 patterns and never had any problems.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I put in 170 1.075 in the standard track and was getting beat bad out of the hole by other on the lake. I put in carbide so there not really for lake racing but thought it would be better than it is. There also was no snow on the lake so that didnt help none.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Kevin I was running 144 in the Woody's double digger pattern when we rode together. As for 102 vs 144 I think it's a matter of how aggressive you intend to be on the hard pack or ice while accelerating. On those hard pack roads that we rode on even with 144 I couldn't hook up real well at WOT. My .02 cents. Good luck!

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Catman,

Nice to know your still around. That was some good riding that day. This past weekend was a bomb, so we got in on the best this season so far.
I am not as concerned with eliminating all the track spin, as I am with avoiding doing acrobatics again to stay up with you and your brother turning off the hard packed road. :lol:
I am leaning toward 102 double diggers, and then add if I need to. I may be older than you, I just don't want to ride like it.................. B) B) B)

Kevin

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Jeff,

By the way. Did your brother trade his new Poo in for and F7 yet?

Kevin

·
Registered
83 Posts
Remember this is a 140 hp sled or so, minimum of 144, I will be putting 170 in , My experience is more is better, less bend and less tear out, just my 2cns worth.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
B) I just orderd 153 from Dan at Outdoor shop.. Great guy.. and very good prices.. give him a call!

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Kevin, I did a 3-2 home made pattern in my track with all single backers for a total of 128 studs in the standard track. Mocked it off the woodys template. have a friend in the area who did the woodys pattern to a 'T' with double backers for ~ 156 studs and it looks NICE. I would recommend the woodys pattern with the double backers. I simply used the single plates because they were left overs. If 128 is not enough there is always room to add more later.

·
Registered
100 Posts
If you don't want to lose studs when riding on ice/hardpack,
never go with less than 1 per HP.

I put 144 in, Woodys pattern, looks great.
-kj

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks guys, Friday I drill holes, and Saturday..............................................................I ride...............................................I hope...........
:unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have 170 gold diggers and my f7 will still bake the track on ice. Every one wants to race you because you have the hot new sled, so do yourself a favor and put as many studs as you can in or you may be sorry later.102 or 144 is not gonna cut it,good luck.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Just don't race then. If they all wanna line up it's because they think they might be able to beat the "hot new sled" which means they don't think theirs is as fast, let them suffer :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts