Hardcore Sledder banner

161 - 180 of 183 Posts

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
Pretty sure i saw you just north of Nevis heading west. Group of 3, led by Yamaha with gopro? I'm guessing we were right behind you on the Scout Trail.
Orange F6? We passed about three groups, but had a pair tailing us.

Those trails were near mint. The sweepers on Steamboat and the straights on scout trail were a hoot.

I am editing clips as we speak. My new GoPro Max sits up a bit higher, so yes, it stands out.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Orange F6? We passed about three groups, but had a pair tailing us.

Those trails were near mint. The sweepers on Steamboat and the straights on scout trail were a hoot.

I am editing clips as we speak. My new GoPro Max sits up a bit higher, so yes, it stands out.
ha, yep it was you. go pro was about a foot above your helmet.

sleds were Rush, 1200, 850 doo and 900 gade.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #163
Ok, that group, yes, I remember seeing you. There was a pair chasing us down that I was referring to.

It was so cool being out when it was that cold, as everyone in the bars was just giddy, that we were out abusing such a beautiful day, when others may have found it too cold.

Honestly, my fingertips were cold when we first set out. But once the blood started pumping, I was more than comfortable all day.

Bluebird skies cannot be wasted.

Yup the new GoPro stands up a bit, but the extension is only 4", but the cam itself is another 3" on top of that. But man, the footage is so cool.

Attachments

·
Registered
614 Posts
yes, blue bird days are not to be wasted. When we left at 8am, my buddy rode down to the lake and had his arms out soaking in the rays. as he was idling the sled steam rose up about 40ft, and there was a pile of slush infront of him steaming in the negative temps. i would have taken a picture but i didn't want to take my hands out of the gloves. ha ha.

We rode from our place on Long Lake, down to Huntersville, up to Nevis, over to Longville, up to Walker through the Paul Bunyan over to Emmeville and back down to Long Lake.

·
Registered
675 Posts
We rode from our place on Long Lake, down to Huntersville, up to Nevis, over to Longville, up to Walker through the Paul Bunyan over to Emmeville and back down to Long Lake.

Did you ride the trail from US 71 East to Huntersville? We were there last week and came down from Nevis but turned around as we were told the trails west of Huntersville had swamp problems and hadn’t been groomed since Dec. Going back up Thursday and may try to loop thru Huntersville and up 71 towards PR. Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
614 Posts
Did you ride the trail from US 71 East to Huntersville? We were there last week and came down from Nevis but turned around as we were told the trails west of Huntersville had swamp problems and hadn’t been groomed since Dec. Going back up Thursday and may try to loop thru Huntersville and up 71 towards PR. Thanks!!

We cross country it from Hubbard to Huntersville. Pick our way across the farm fields via minimum maint roads and ditches.

we did run into quite a few areas un groomed south of Walker due to swamps though. Hopefully after this week they are able to get out and smooth those areas out.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Kinda figured that’s how you get there. Cold is good and just a little snow will help. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
Here is a quick clip of Steamboat.

So we just finished lunch at the Stompin Grounds North of Aikley, and are headed back through the Nevis Trailblazers trails on to the Forest Riders trails.

This run is called Steamboat. And it is home to wide grooming and big sweeping corners. You would have to intentionally try to blow out a corner they are so gradual. This is one of the main artery trails in the Trailblazer system.

This trail turns into the Scout Trail once you cross over into Forest Rider country.

It’s an amazing good time and you should come up and enjoy all the clubs hard work!

PS: I tried to do some Matrix "bullet cam" magic on the oncoming traffic. Throw a "like" if you see yourself. I'm still learning.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #173
Biff was that field of powder at -19 actually a lake?
No, it was actually above the highway and ditchline trail. So we happened upon it by accident. We were climbing the ditch cornices and landed in it.

Normally, I don't condone off trail in any part of MN. We happened to be with a local.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #174 (Edited)
on a side note, Biff.org, can post a picture of your helmet setup?
As far as the cam or goggle?

I have a 509 Altitude Chris Burhandt Carbon Fiber. I broke the flimsy gopro mount off three times and went to the standard glue on mounts.

Since moving to the GoPro Max 360 this fall when I got my pre-order from GoPro, i mounted it on a 4" stem to get it a little above my bucket. (I posted this photo before, but here it is again)

it looks as if a drone were following me as the two 180 degree cams in the Max stitch the two videos together in cam. That's why you see a stitch line in the video where they come together.

You notice it more in low light, or hazy days. Or if I get splashed with powder.

I am trying to edit with less of that fish eye, as it makes some viewers sick. But capturing more of the sled, or my buddies around me is pretty cool. For now anyway. It's just different than the normal gopro angle that most guys have got.

Being able to pick my shots in post production is kinda fun though. Catching things happening beside me, or behind me without turning my head is fun.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #176 (Edited)
helmet/goggle setup.
Looks like you have a fairly low windshield also?

The videos are fantastic btw.
Nah, stock Apex XTX windshield which gives great chest and hand protection. It's just that the cam is high enough that it looks low.

I have handguards more for the mirrors in the corner of them.

My helmet goggle setup is noted on the fogging glasses thread. I use a 509 Altitude Carbon Fiber Chris Burandt helmet, with 509 Sinister Ignite heated goggles and RX inserts. (quick edit) To handle the wide range of temps we ride in, I have used the Klim Arctic for most riding. It will make most any helmet warm enough to ride down to -25 or so. -20 is kinda my limit. Our finger tips were a bit cold to start out. But once that blood starts pumping, we were good for they day. One bonus of Apex rear exhaust, you always have two handwarmers close by at intersections.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Here is a quick clip of Steamboat.

So we just finished lunch at the Stompin Grounds North of Aikley, and are headed back through the Nevis Trailblazers trails on to the Forest Riders trails.

This run is called Steamboat. And it is home to wide grooming and big sweeping corners. You would have to intentionally try to blow out a corner they are so gradual. This is one of the main artery trails in the Trailblazer system.

This trail turns into the Scout Trail once you cross over into Forest Rider country.

It’s an amazing good time and you should come up and enjoy all the clubs hard work!

PS: I tried to do some Matrix "bullet cam" magic on the oncoming traffic. Throw a "like" if you see yourself. I'm still learning.

Very interesting viewpoint in an awesome clip!!!! That’s a great run as are the interconnecting fire roads. Heading to Longville this week then to Walker on Monday. I’m sure we’ll find them in the same condition especially if we get the snow that’s predicted

·
Premium Member
837 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Didn’t know that, great info. We’ll stay clear, thanks. May not get that far west til Monday. Hope there don’t ruin ‘em!!!

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #180 (Edited)
Yesterday was one of those days we like to refer to as Slot-Car Snow. It was nearly perfect out, other than overcast and flat light. So we hit the woods.

We had tWo Mississippi Headwaters virgins in our foursome, so we made off for Itasca. And with all the traffic hitting North-Central MN, you see Itasca early in the weekend.

We decide to avoid the traffic and beat up trails around DL at the end of the day, so we drop North of DL at Okeson’s Off Trail.

We rip the few lakes on up to Elbow Lake and catch the corner of White Earth State Forest into Itasca. The Western Trails of Itasca were in the best condition I have ever seen. Forest Riders are Killin it!! Of course many of the park tourists, don’t venture that far West.

We make our way down the East side to find loads of traffic flooding the park. Just in time to get to Clancy’s at Vacationaire for fuel and lunch.

We take a more Southern route back to Two Inlets and across the Ponsford prairie for a quick bump at Ice Cracking.

80 miles before lunch and 160 miles on the day. What a great ride! Apex performed flawlessly on the trails and the lakes covered in a crazy amount of snow!

Attachments

161 - 180 of 183 Posts