Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 183 Posts

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it's December 13th, 2017 and we all have the itchy throttle thumb and it needs to be scratched.

So Sam and I take off out of Moorhead and head towards what we think is snow on the snow coverage maps. We head up to Crookston, then on to Red Lake Falls just to find that the previous night's rain left us with a skating rink for a highway and no rideable snow!

So Instead of heading to Thief River Falls, we turn the truck around and head to the Bermuda Triangle of snow! We find dozens of anglers on the lake pre-fishing for the National Panfish tournament this coming weekend. They are reporting 9-11" of ice! WOW! (note the pickup on the ice in the last few seconds!)

So after 250 miles in the truck we actually get in roughly 40 miles on the sled. Side trails were pretty rocky, but the roads had been packed well by the deer hunters over the previous month. And now the main roads were very rideable and a blast.

We expect to see more snow over the coming days, and are heading back this weekend!

Enjoy!

·
Registered
8,357 Posts
Nice way to go. If we get any kind of snow tonight I'm doing some shakedown riding from home this weekend, why not!

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
So the snow is ok in the Bermuda Triangle of snow! Might need to head south AND CHECK IT OUT

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are reports yesterday from the sled clubs in Thief River falls that they are grooming. But those are primarily around town.

I did see an update that they are all groomed on up to the next club North of TRF as well. We just stopped outside of Red Lake Falls, as we were deflated that we could not run the river trails. Anything further North was long straight ditch.

On that note though, if you want to shake down a new sled, or mods, a long straight ditch with groomed snow is all you need.

I know that this 40 miles in the trees settled my soul. Sometimes you just need an attitude adjustment. I would say the main roads in the triangle are good as they were packed from wheel traffic. The side trails were a Click-fest on the skis. Put on the old skis/carbides.

The lakes were covered by just enough to lubricate and cool the sled well. I would have never dropped on if it had not been for all the fisherman giving us an ice report. That dude putting his truck on the ice probably had to unload his balls out of the back with a Tommy Lift!!!

·
Registered
325 Posts
I know that this 40 miles in the trees settled my soul. Sometimes you just need an attitude adjustment.

:bc: One of the best things about this hobby. The adrenaline is great... but helmet/windshield time, scenery, and solitude can be very cathartic.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
not enough yet.
I will thank you in advance for keeping the traffic to a minimum while I shoot episode #2 tomorrow.

I won't claim how much is up there, or where it happens to be as it may sound argumentative. I will just let the video do the talking.

More to come......

·
Registered
7,863 Posts
I will thank you in advance for keeping the traffic to a minimum while I shoot episode #2 tomorrow.

I won't claim how much is up there, or where it happens to be as it may sound argumentative. I will just let the video do the talking.

More to come......
You are going to like what you find:whistle:

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Stay home, nobody wants you north of 694:thumbsup:
Come on up North, we will show you how to put miles on the pretty Pee green sled, or offer to buy it off of you. As it deserves a good home that will ride it.

I hope it came with matching trailer. But honestly after tomorrow/Saturday, you will have closer riding to the south. That next wave of snow has name attached to it. That must mean something.

But the offer is open to buy that low mileage sled!

·
Registered
114 Posts
This morning I rode from Osage to Two Inlets. Trails looked nice with 6+ inches of powdery snow but there is no base and I lost track of counting rock hits. I filled up and went back to Osage. My plan was to get the the Triangle but not at the expense of beating the death out of my sled.. I spoke to the groomer in Two Inlets and he won't run the groomer till there is some more substantial to make base with. I may need to trailer over there at this point.

·
Registered
614 Posts
This morning I rode from Osage to Two Inlets. Trails looked nice with 6+ inches of powdery snow but there is no base and I lost track of counting rock hits. I filled up and went back to Osage. My plan was to get the the Triangle but not at the expense of beating the death out of my sled.. I spoke to the groomer in Two Inlets and he won't run the groomer till there is some more substantial to make base with. I may need to trailer over there at this point.
yep, gotta get a few kids out on there old iron to set a track or two down the trails... any rolling of trails up that way? We're close boys!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So we got word that there was 8" of fresh snow. The club also posted photos of the groomer panning the trails. So we packed up and headed to the Bermuda Triangle of snow.

I would have had more video, but within the first 10 miles, I branch ripped the GoPro right off my new helmet. We were lucky to recover the camera before the groomer ran it over.

120 miles on the day, a good lunch at the resort and a few sore muscles.

This clip has no music, as the engine sound, and table top trails is all a guy needs!!

And yes, we are doing it all over again tomorrow!

·
Registered
347 Posts
We road the triangle yesterday as well. Trails were decent and quite a bit of the area had been groomed. A little more snow and the area should be good to go for the season.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Nevis, MN 8.5"
Ha! Think somebody was using the centimeter scale on their ruler !

I live 2 mi from nevis. About 5.5 here. Fluffy stuff.

..... but maybe the storm hit harder in town... LOL!

I got 30 miles on here towing kids on sled down the ditches and heatland trail.... skis a clattering all the way.

·
Registered
675 Posts
So we got word that there was 8" of fresh snow. The club also posted photos of the groomer panning the trails. So we packed up and headed to the Bermuda Triangle of snow.

I would have had more video, but within the first 10 miles, I branch ripped the GoPro right off my new helmet. We were lucky to recover the camera before the groomer ran it over.

120 miles on the day, a good lunch at the resort and a few sore muscles.

This clip has no music, as the engine sound, and table top trails is all a guy needs!!

And yes, we are doing it all over again tomorrow!

Love those go-pros biff!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 183 Posts