Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
02 ZL 6 efi esr. Just started this winter, noticeable out of the hole up to say 15-20mph. Sled is stock except it has a 121 Car CC track on it & its clutched.--all done last year & no issues last year. Trying to determine if its Track ratcheting now or if its possible the chain is jumpin. The chain still has the spring loaded tensioner on it. So what should I do ? I could get the parts for a manual chain adjuster & try that. ( Maybe somebody could fill me in on parts needed & yr to cross reference) & or new drivers. Now on the drivers The part # for my Zl is different than for the ZR . I realize the ZR's run the extra wheels & if thats the best idea than I don't mind spending the few extra dollars for that provided it would work & the drive axel is the same dia so the system would work with my axel. Any thoughts ? Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
You should be able to hear either of those things, they sound pretty distinctive. Check your track tension as per the manual, and if you're concerned about the chain slipping, pull the cover off and check for metal shavings in the bottom.

What symptoms led you to conclude that something is slipping?

·
Registered
740 Posts
Check your drive shaft bearings (speedo side in particular). Common part to go and create the ratcheting sounds you're experiencing

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok thank you guys for your thoughts so far. My Track tension is within spec but I did try tightening it another full turn & can't say it helped. All upper and lower axel bearings have about 500 miles on them so its a possibility but would be surprising. Sled was gone through & I mean REALLY GONE THRU about 500miles ago like 2$$$.00. Spedo shows 6900 miles now. But it is on original drivers. My guess its in the lower driveline somewhere. I can hear it ratchet & I feel a noticeable sharp vibration thru my boot when its on the footwell when it happins.. I don't know what the normal life expectancy of drivers on these are but having switched to a CC Track I'm leanings to the idea maybe these plastic drivers were warn into the original track & this CC track is just enough different that has kind of warn them in a way thats taken them out of tolerance. I can take it easy on it out of the hole & prolly get by for what little winter we have left (40 degrees today.) You guys see any problem if I decide to run the same year ZR drivers or ZR cc drivers with the extra wheels if I have to replace the original drivers ?

·
Premium Member
20,350 Posts
You can run a zr style axle setup, but you really should not need to, at all. I’d look at your drivers. They need to be pretty worn before they will skip. Tighten track more 3-4 turns, and see. Check belt. Check oil in gearcase for metal.

·
Premium Member
20,350 Posts
Broken secondary spring is rare, and idthink you’d notice a drop in rpm, but Ive seen it happen and then the belt slips and vibrates the whole sled too

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great, Thats stuff I can ck & or Do without tearing deep into it. Thanks I do appreciate it !

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well Latest update.. Ck Spring in driven & its not broke but I probably will replace as its rusty & may be original. Tightened track a full 2 1/2 turns more for 3 1/2 past spec. Still got the noise but this helped isolate it further & it sounds like its coming from the chain case. So with about 10 days of warm coming I'm tearing into it today. Fun on these with Ele Start & Reverse- .lots of stuff to take off to get the chain cover off.. lol So new chain for sure++? Was wondering if it would be OK to go with a manual chain tensioner with this having Reverse ? & Thoughts on Parts needed if I can go that way. Thanks.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Another update, Chain out, nothing appears to be out of the m/l normal.????? Jackshaft spins fine & is tight. Pulled Suspension, Track looks normal. Drivers have for sure 3/16 worn off on the bottom of the side lug (Driver part) where they first make the angled contact with the track lugs. So in other words the Drivers normally are sort of a /\ shape .. In this case on the forward ( Going forward) Pulling side of the driver its more like I\ . Other than that I have not found any issue yet that I recognize . Feel free to make suggestions, its about 1/2 apart at this point. .

·
Premium Member
20,350 Posts
Drivers have to be pretty worn before they will start slipping on the track. Look at the lower gear, the reverse portion. Was there any metal in the oil? The lower gear has pins in it that are spring-loaded they can wear off on the ends and round over, slipping/grinding

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep, the slip pins are rounded, all three ! I guess I didn't understand that those affect forward movement as well as Reverse. If thats the case then you found my problem !!!
Stronger if you ever retire off this site I better go buy an Electric snowmobile lol. Thanks a Ton again for rescuing me one more time.

·
Premium Member
20,350 Posts
You're welcome. Yes, they drive the forward. Unless in remembering incorrectly, as I haven’t actually worked on one of those in a while. (Should make sense once you study it. Post pic if you can.....since I’m questioning myself now). Also......that might be difficult to find parts for.....that gear deal is all one piece as an assembly.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok here is a picture of the worst one but the other two are not a whole lot better. . I cked online with Country Cat on these dowels & they are on "Back Order". Will try other dealers today just in case. Apparently its going to be tough sledin gettin this apart to get the dowels out. 6 Allen head bolts with some kind of sunk in locknut. that you can't get a socket on. I tried Map Gas & tinkin the nut with a flat chisel & nope. My Allen wrench wouldn't budge them so my next thought is to try to find the correct Allen that would fit in my shock / hammer tool . Always something .

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2014 XF800 137
4,288 Posts
Should it not look like this? Don't they just pull out and have a spring behind them? Part number 0602-133

·
Premium Member
20,350 Posts
I believe so, that is how I am remembering it however I have not actually held one in at least 15 years, skidoos used to be the same way and had the same problem

·
Premium Member
2014 XF800 137
4,288 Posts
Found a pic of opposite side, I bet this is allen bolts he is talking about.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Yep thats what the other side looks like. You think they just pull out ? I tried that a little & didn't think that was how they came out. The parts schematic on those is pretty pathetic but I dunno you could be right..
I opened up my full manual on these & got a better look at this "Slip Dowel" . It appears to be a two step dowel. Wider at the backside & then a shelf to the smaller Dia dowel that you see sticking out. So yea I think the Screws have to come out to replace. Any thoughts on the "Rockwell" or what ever you call it of the steel in these dowels' ? We have 4 2002 Cats with reverse & I probably got a family member who could make some up if I knew what grade of steel to use.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
I probably got a family member who could make some up if I knew what grade of steel to use.
Both the reverse gear and slip pins wear. Cat slip pins are 45$ for three. Reverse gear is 330$. Which one do you want to wear faster? Looking at the new parts (if available yet) add up to a big chunk of dough to repair a tore up chain case.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts