Hardcore Sledder banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Mxz 600 etec and 2020 Indy XC 800 129
71 Posts
Take the comment about cottage with a grain of salt. This is CTV new's interpretation, not a government issued statement. Within the guidelines provided by the government; cabins, lodges hotels and cottages are allowed to operate. It doesn't say anything specifically about private cottages or secondary residences from what I can tell. But my own interpretation is that if a commercially operated cottage can stay open, I feel comfortable visiting my own property - especially when i bring my own food. The only risk of any spread is at a gas station and ill just fill up at the same pumps i normally do. Luckily my cottage is in the same health unit as my home... so I'm not crossing any health unit boarders. Police won't be setting up any "RIDE" programs, be safe, be smart, use common sense and noone will give you a hard time/noone will get sick.

my $0.02
We did the same last year, brought own groceries, didn't go to town, etc. Using common sense indeed, too bad it's not common enough lol.
I did read that short term rentals could only be used if occupied by someone that has no other residence...
Apparently there will be more info released today.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Take the comment about cottage with a grain of salt. This is CTV new's interpretation, not a government issued statement. Within the guidelines provided by the government; cabins, lodges hotels and cottages are allowed to operate. It doesn't say anything specifically about private cottages or secondary residences from what I can tell. But my own interpretation is that if a commercially operated cottage can stay open, I feel comfortable visiting my own property - especially when i bring my own food. The only risk of any spread is at a gas station and ill just fill up at the same pumps i normally do. Luckily my cottage is in the same health unit as my home... so I'm not crossing any health unit boarders. Police won't be setting up any "RIDE" programs, be safe, be smart, use common sense and noone will give you a hard time/noone will get sick.

my $0.02
exactly. This answer is provided by CTV news, not by regulated document or lawmaker. Unless the law says thou shall not go to secondary residence, you should be fine. whether its right or wrong as essential to go is a different topic, but the fact is, with the statement of "shouldn't go, unless" leaves it quite open. The fine print of the regulation/order is where the actual rules lay, not Fords blanket statement which is obviously what is is wanted, "we order everyone stay home" but isn't quite the exact law. If people just only hear 'stay home order' then they may be fear mongered, and not look into what is actually prohibited vs what is technically not. Just like non-essential business can operate for curbside, but only go out for essential things.

anyway obviously a lot to clear up- I do hope they keep them open, riding group less than 5, any can travel to residence you own from A to B.

cheers all,

·
Registered
6 Posts
The Ontario government website (https://www.ontario.ca/page/covid-19-provincewide-shutdown) last updated Jan 13 says this:
"Outdoor recreational amenities permitted to open include:
  • Snowmobile, cross country, dogsledding, ice-skating and snow-shoe trails".
Don't see anything about travel to secondary residences.
They say that - then they put the fear of gawd in ya for non-essential travel...my daughter and her BF wanted to go riding on friday - how do we GET to the trails - will cops be all pissypants with us cuz i am pulling a trailer? Waiting for the 1:30 Doug Ford update. lol

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thank you for all the comments… I think having health dialogue on these public forums show the organizations that we need clarity and direction, especially that tomorrow is Thursday.

GTA riders are getting trailers ready to load tomorrow morning to start coming North bound.

so OPP, Doug Ford, OFSC better start to get your ducks in an order the convoys are comin.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The document that CTV News refers to is now online. It DOES state that snowmobile trails are permitted to stay open.... Fingers crossed for more snow!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I sent an email to the president of my local club (Orillia) asking for clarity. I know it is not his accountability for enforcement but they could and should support us in terms of broadcasting what they understand the situation to be, whether trails are expected to be open, communicating with law enforcement, etc.

I haven’t yet heard from him.

·
Registered
779 Posts
The "Notwithstanding " clause overrides the violation of CCRF above

Section 33 - Exception where express declaration
33. (1) Parliament or the legislature of a province may expressly declare in an Act of Parliament or of the legislature, as the case may be, that the Act or a provision thereof shall operate notwithstanding a provision included in section 2 or sections 7 to 15 of this Charter
Operation of exception
  • (2) An Act or a provision of an Act in respect of which a declaration made under this section is in effect shall have such operation as it would have but for the provision of this Charter referred to in the declaration.
Five year limitation
  • (3) A declaration made under subsection (1) shall cease to have effect five years after it comes into force or on such earlier date as may be specified in the declaration.
Re-enactment
  • (4) Parliament or a legislature of a province may re-enact a declaration made under subsection (1).
Five year limitation
  • (5) Subsection (3) applies in respect of a re-enactment made under subsection (4).
The purpose of section 33 is to require a government that wishes to pass laws that limit Charter rights to say clearly what it is doing and accept the political consequences.
Section 33 is sometimes referred to as the "notwithstanding clause". It gives Parliament and provincial and territorial legislatures limited power to pass laws that may limit certain Charter rights – namely fundamental freedoms, legal and equality rights.
They can only do this if they clearly state that a particular law is exempt from the Charter. An exemption from the Charter lasts a maximum of five years, but may be re-enacted by Parliament or the legislature concerned.
To date, provincial or territorial legislatures have rarely used this section. It has never been used by the federal Parliament.

·
Registered
451 Posts
No change of this time
Just out the OFSC will continue to allow trails and grooming to commence we will not open trails between health units
questions pertaining to provincial legislation and enforcement should be directed to your local law enforcement agency .
it is grey and murky, But if your not living on the edge your taking up to much space

·
Registered
137 Posts
Heads Up!!! Haliburton Forest called me today and cancelled my Booking for next week! Said they are not doing accommodation till further notice!!
Falkers!!

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I guess were living on the edge of the law enforcement fines day by day.

how about the local Municipalities in the Northern Regions can they send Bylaw officers out to lay fines for nonessential snowmobile travel?

just wondering what would be coming at us if we are out of our area in hotel for recreational activities?

thoughts?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I mentioned earlier that I got a $800 ticket for letting my dog off leash in our park, during the early days of Toronto’s lockdown, because off leash parks had been deemed an amenity.

I am still waiting for my court date because I think the ticket is bogus for a bunch of reasons, but I am NOT taking any chances going forward. Going to court is always a toss-up, but what is not a toss-up is having to lose a day of work.

And considering I am likely riding with my wife and two kids on three sleds, I can’t afford to get hit with a bunch of big fines.

·
Registered
23 Posts
This notice from the OFSC was posted on the Orillia club’s website, which I have excerpted below the link:

As of this date, snowmobiling is a permitted recreational activity, provided that the participants comply with all other provincial and local public health unit directives.

This means that snowmobilers with valid trail permits are permitted to access any available (GREEN) or limited availability (YELLOW) trails at this time, but in doing so, must remember that the Province is not recommending travel from one public health region to another. However, as the regulations supporting this announcement have not yet been released, the OFSC cannot yet comment on what legal measures may be enacted to enforce this restriction.

As per the previously released Flex Trail Plan, the OFSC will continue to keep feeder trails between public health regions unavailable (RED) and are urging all snowmobilers to stay close to home,

All questions pertaining to provincial legislation and enforcement should be directed to your local law enforcement agency

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
This notice from the OFSC was posted on the Orillia club’s website, which I have excerpted below the link:

As of this date, snowmobiling is a permitted recreational activity, provided that the participants comply with all other provincial and local public health unit directives.

This means that snowmobilers with valid trail permits are permitted to access any available (GREEN) or limited availability (YELLOW) trails at this time, but in doing so, must remember that the Province is not recommending travel from one public health region to another. However, as the regulations supporting this announcement have not yet been released, the OFSC cannot yet comment on what legal measures may be enacted to enforce this restriction.

As per the previously released Flex Trail Plan, the OFSC will continue to keep feeder trails between public health regions unavailable (RED) and are urging all snowmobilers to stay close to home,

All questions pertaining to provincial legislation and enforcement should be directed to your local law enforcement agency
Thank you!

·
Registered
23 Posts

From the article:
On Wednesday, the provincial government released a 10-page document elaborating on the new regulations. According to the document, people travelling to a cottage or secondary residence are allowed to do so if the individual intends to be at the property for less than 24 hours or if they intend to reside at the property for at least 14 days.

The mayors Cottage Life spoke to recognize that the regulations do not ban cottagers from travelling to their properties, but they’ve asked that cottagers respect the regulations to help stop the spread of the virus.

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
The interesting thing is GTA rider staying at hotel/motel and on the way up on route is checked at check point and says he is checking in on his cottage or a bunch of other excuses, and then is at the lodging area with 50 other GTA rigs that came up for and with ODR’s (One Day Riders) how are the OPP and ByLaw enforcement going to deal with that?

21 - 37 of 37 Posts