Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have received multiple pm's about the condition of the areas surrounding the Laramie, WY area. If you need additional info on the area feel free to PM me, I don't mind. I just thought I would make a post about it for general info.

I have not been up to the range since elk season. At that time, October 15-21st, the highway department closed down Hwy 230 for seasonal closure. The snow amount was about 18". I talked to others that have said it now holds about 2-3ft. I personally would not travel long distances just yet as you will be disappointed and tempted to go off trail and will damage your sled. This area has many large rocks and stumps that definitely need time to be covered up. The smart sledders usually wait until Thanksgiving weekend to even attempt taking their sleds up there. If I were to travel long distances I would wait until aftr christmas.

If there is any posts on this topic wishing for me to continue updates on the area I will do so periodically.

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
I have received multiple pm's about the condition of the areas surrounding the Laramie, WY area. If you need additional info on the area feel free to PM me, I don't mind. I just thought I would make a post about it for general info.

I have not been up to the range since elk season. At that time, October 15-21st, the highway department closed down Hwy 230 for seasonal closure. The snow amount was about 18". I talked to others that have said it now holds about 2-3ft. I personally would not travel long distances just yet as you will be disappointed and tempted to go off trail and will damage your sled. This area has many large rocks and stumps that definitely need time to be covered up. The smart sledders usually wait until Thanksgiving weekend to even attempt taking their sleds up there. If I were to travel long distances I would wait until aftr christmas.

If there is any posts on this topic wishing for me to continue updates on the area I will do so periodically.[/b]

Thank you for any update period! I PM'd you last week about heading to Albany next week. I see "The Range" has snow forecasted for this weekend. I think we will make the call next Mon or Tues if we are leaving. Please give an update if you hear any reports, good or bad.
Thank you very much!
Jeff

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update 11/11/06

Well took the sleds out today up to Centennial (Snowy Range) We completed 10 miserable miles. The snow is minimal. There are many open places that you need to cross that are completely bare due to high winds. The trails otherwise were not to bad. It was just getting across the bare spots. The highway was even bare in many spots even though the plowing has stopped. I don't know about you but I don't want to ride two $10K sleds in the dirt and over rocks for extended periods of time.

I talked to the local shop guys and they have ridden over the top and said it isn't so bad over there. Making a decision to get there is the problem.

As far as an Albany Lodge report: Looking over that way there is no snow to be seen. Because of the trees it may not be bad up top. My dad rode his motorcycle with some guys over there last weekend to have breakfast and his report was pretty bad. He said that the parking lot was completely bare and dry. He said there were trailers and sleds there but with no snow in site they still rode up the rode. So don't know what is up there.

I will give another update when I try for myself again or hear of another report from someone else. The forcast is promising though. Tonight and tomorrow is supposed to snow up to a foot up there.

STAY TUNED

·
Registered
442 Posts
i was wondering what places are there to stay in the snowies. about a group of 8 coming from nd in the beginning of january. we would like to stay along the trail and not have to trailer to where we would ride.
thanks

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i was wondering what places are there to stay in the snowies. about a group of 8 coming from nd in the beginning of january. we would like to stay along the trail and not have to trailer to where we would ride.
thanks[/b]
Look into Snowy Mountain Lodge, Mountain Meadows Cabins, Albany Lodge. You may be a little late as they book fast and early but it would be worth a shot. A lot of people stay in Laramie when they are booked because of the vast motels. 30 mile pull one way.

·
Registered
1 Posts
well im new to the hcs forums but have been on the snowest forums for 6 years anyways ill be up turkey day weekend hopefully the snow will be good it might just be a make sure your sled runs good trip.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Since you live in Cheyenne you dont have a whole lot to lose trying it out even if it sucks. I don't think people coming from Iowa, Minnesota, and North Dakota would get their moneys worth just yet.

Got some good snow this week though but as poor as it was last weekend I think it will take many more. I was talking to a friend and she said that the ski resort is opening up Turkey weekend and I don't see how as the runs were bare last weekend.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Keep the reports coming. Many planning on going Thanksgiving. Reports from lodges say the riding is good but they always say that. Thanks

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I never made it up this weekend and will be out of town for Turkey weekend. Post up how it is if you go. I heard it is getting better from locals but I still think far from "GOOD RIDING"

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Thanks for the updates, im looking forward to coming out there!

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Anybody with Thanksgiving weekend Reports? I was out of town so I don't have one. Will go up this coming up weekend though.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
A group from Iowa went to Albany. I had to work so I couldn't make it but I have the story. The "backside" is good with good snow. They broke alot of trails Friday along with some fire roads. "Frontside" is not near as nice with lots of bare spots. The report is not all good though because the base is still not deep enough. They rode off trail and a couple new Cats got one ski ripped off apiece from hitting rocks. Sounds like it is rideable but not great!!

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
12/2/06 Report

Went up and what a difference the two storms that came through made. The front side makes easy unloading by Snowy Range Lodge at the normal loading zone now. It is not a lot of snow on the front side but there was no snirt riding. Highway was completely covered. The only downside is that this year the old contract for grooming was up and the State of Wyoming is going to groom it this year and they have not started. If you don't know where you are going it is easy to get lost as there are no really main trails right now. The highway is completely bumpy and beats you to death.

Once on the backside there was tremendously deep powder. Only downfall is there is no base to it. There are a lot of dangers below this deep powder as once again saw a few sleds that had hit big rocks.

So the snow is here for us to get a base started and the snow is plentiful on the backside but it is still pretty dangerous without a base.

12/2/06

Heard from a family friend that Albany is also pretty good right now because of the amount of trails on that side. Off trail riding still has hidden dangers on that side too.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Just got back from Centennial last night. Rode Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Riding was great but needed to use caution. West side had lots of snow and east side was not bad for the most part. Still hidden dangers but no damage to any of our sleds. It was well worth the 16 hour drive. Can not say enough good things about Snowy Mountain Lodge. Very accomodating and great people. Treated us out of towners like family. Would recommend to anyone looking for lodging.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just wondering if anyone has an updated snow report. Taking off for Snowy Mountain Lodge on thursday with six guys from northern Minnesota. Also what are the gas prices at the lodge.

Thanks Josh

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Never made it up last weekend and probably not this weekend either as we have two christmas party's to go to. but I look up there every day and yesterday looked as though it snowed all day long up that way. End of last week was rather warm so hopefully the snow settled to start a base when the new snow arrived.

Let us know how it is.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts