Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I almost forgot to put out a post about putting on my Snowstuff skidplate. This skidplate is somewhat thinner a bit wider and somewhat longer than the Holeshot plate. It is also less expensive.

I purchased my Snowstuff skidplate at the Novi snowmobile expo in Novi michigan along with some other toys. The skidplate I purchased was RED because I wanted to make the front end of my Patriot completely red. To some the contrast of a black front on red would be better. I decided to get rid of the black (stock look which also looks good).

My friend purchased a Holeshot plate. The Holeshot plate is licensed to AC and can't be sold by third party accessory dealers, it is only available through AC dealers. The Holeshot plate doesn't cover the entire front of the sled, but after seeing the plate on my friends sled (a black Team with yellow skid plate) I must say the Holeshot looks cool. Maybe even better than if it covered the entire front of the sled.

Another advantage of the Holeshot plate is, it is thicker and will offer more protection. The SnowStuff plate will offer slightly more protection around the bottom A-Arm but that's it.

WHEN INSTALLING/FIT and FINISH

The Holeshot plate is much nicer than my SnowStuff plate. There are several problems with the SnowStuff plate as it's designed in my opinion. First although the Snowstuff skid plate does cover the entire front belly pan area, it COVERS to much. It actually hangs over the edge and if you attempt to use the preset holes on the plate you would find they are in the wrong position. The holes predimpled to be drilled out are almost all in the wrong or inferior position on the SnoStuff plate. I drilled a few extra holes (spares, yikes) INTO my sled because these holes were in the wrong place in the SnoStuff plate.

First the topmost front hole is located in the wrong postition. You need to drill a hole higher (if I remember correctly I don't have the sled in front of me and it's been a few weeks since install.) Carefully consider where the hole will go before putting it in. If you use the stock suggested position on the Snowstuff plate, the frontmost hole will end up going into an area where the rivet won't even fit correctly. It will be to close to the screw connector that holds the airbox in place.

Next the side holes on each side of the front of the plate are to far on each side. They won't even go into the sled or will be dangerously close to the corner. So you might as well line up the plate and put new holes in a logical position (about 1 inch in closer from each side.)

These aren't even the first holes put into the sled with the SnoStuff plate. The first holes I put in were lining up the rear of the plate underneath the sled. The marked holes on the SnoStuff plate for the two rearmost holes are close together. No need to worry about these default holes doing any damage to the engine or hoses, because they don't even go through metal, just the back of the bottom plastic back cover under the belly pan. I have a problem with that idea. I don't want to rivet the back of my Skidplate to another piece of plastic underneath. I want to rivet it to the metal body. So I found different hole positions and ignored these hole positions. This after realizing that one of the holes didn't "hit metal". So now I have a convinient drainhole in the bottom of my engine compartment that is going through two pieces of plastic.

The bottom cover has to be taken off so you can inspect the position of the new holes your drilling through the frame of the snowmobile. If you don't check it, you could choose a location or drill through a part of the carb or coolant hose. It's a must do item to check and takes a few more minutes, but is worth the effort.

Finally since the front of the plate is to wide on the Snostuff plate, it will not fit up to the edge of your old plastic but fits over the edge and extra plastic is visable overhanging the old edge. With a hot knife you might be able to trim the plate once installed. (I haven't done this fix yet on the plate, to much in a hurry to get other things complete and ride the thing for now.)

Overall it's a plate that will work, but requires more careful planning on hole placement. Your better off leaving all the dimple holes left as dimples in this plate if you decide to get it and find your own better rivet positions.

I would seriously consider spending the extra money for a Holeshot plate instead.
My next skidplate will be a Holeshot.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Nice write-up,thanks for the info,Ive ordered a AC Holeshot in red,but of course its on back order!

·
Registered
614 Posts
Yeah, I'm the guy with the Black Team F7 and helped Atomicat install that piece of crap. All I could think (I did not say, so as not to bum my friend out) was that I'm so glad I put out for the Holeshot; it is such a superior product. When you compare the two, you see right away the one to have. The guy that designed the SnoStuff skidplate was on some stuff himself!! Good Job Holeshot!

·
Registered
154 Posts
i also had the same experience with the snow stuff plate it fit like crap on my 700 wayyyy back in 95, have put on 5 holeshot plates since and have never been dissapointed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts