Hardcore Sledder banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Biggest problem with riding in Quebec is, your truck and trailer will be gone when you get back.
That has not been my personal experience or the experience of several people I know who actually have been snowmobiling in Quebec for the last 30 years. But I am not saying it doesn't ever happen. Although, I know people who have had their snowmobiles, ORVs, and trucks stolen in my home state of New York ... maybe I should move to rural Quebec where I am less likely to have my stuff stolen?

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Biggest problem with riding in Quebec is, your truck and trailer will be gone when you get back.
I've been to quebec. Left 3 trucks and 3 trailers at hotel for 4 days...guess what they were still there when we got back. I also have had a sled stolen right out of my front yard in Northern Ontario...guess it's safer to move to Quebec. Theft happens everywhere....and I love a good excuse to buy new vehicles/trailers. If I ever got back from a sled ride and my truck and trailer gone...I would just keep riding while starting my insurance claim with the app on my phone.

·
Registered
40,806 Posts
I think it depends more where you stay, and show up with all new iron. I've have been on many many trips since the 70's, and never had anything stolen but friends with new factory race sleds were stolen right out of the trailer that thieves broke into, and that was in a motel right off the freeway in a larger city than we'd usually stay at. You need to be smart, and lock your stuff up good, not advertise it before your ready to hit the trails. I've left my truck and trailer parked right off the main drag in la tuque with other vehicles for a week many times. No one ever bothered it.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
I've had more stuff stolen in Millinocket than I have in Quebec. However, I will say this... I did not encounter any trails or terrain that made me more impressed with the riding in Quebec than what can be had in Aroostock Cty. Maine. It was good, but not not mind blowing.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I've had more stuff stolen in Millinocket than I have in Quebec. However, I will say this... I did not encounter any trails or terrain that made me more impressed with the riding in Quebec than what can be had in Aroostock Cty. Maine. It was good, but not not mind blowing.
Where did you ride in Quebec?

I wish Aroostock County wasn't so far away.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Yes, stuff gets stolen everywhere, but Quebec takes the cake. The most corrupt province in Canada- cops and politicians are all on the take. Notice how the murders of Al and Danny at Le Refuge (coolest old little sled stop) have never been "solved", yet everyone knows who did it? It's too bad as there are nice trails in QC. But corrupt to the core.

·
Registered
40,806 Posts
Yes, stuff gets stolen everywhere, but Quebec takes the cake. The most corrupt province in Canada- cops and politicians are all on the take. Notice how the murders of Al and Danny at Le Refuge (coolest old little sled stop) have never been "solved", yet everyone knows who did it? It's too bad as there are nice trails in QC. But corrupt to the core.
As far as those murders, and who did it has been already discussed before, and debunked. Imo, you leave new sleds that aren't secured out in the open to be seen by everyone in a populated area down here in the states, sooner or later you won't have it either.

·
Registered
40,806 Posts
Obviously you never rode throughout the lac st. jean, or mounts valins region.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Debunked? Lol. No, no charges were laid, but everyone knows who did it. The Refuge was full every night, and he hated it. They were great guys. Anybody who spends one dollar at LC is a POS. And you're wrong about non-secured sleds in a low traffic area. In Quebec, rigs have been stolen from secure compounds, because locals, cops, hotel owners all get a piece of the pie. Corrupt as hell; too bad, really.

·
Registered
40,806 Posts
Debunked? Lol. No, no charges were laid, but everyone knows who did it. The Refuge was full every night, and he hated it. They were great guys. Anybody who spends one dollar at LC is a POS. And you're wrong about non-secured sleds in a low traffic area. In Quebec, rigs have been stolen from secure compounds, because locals, cops, hotel owners all get a piece of the pie. Corrupt as hell; too bad, really.
The consensus on the murders involved was money owed from shady dealings with the wrong people. Sure most knew who had a long running pissing contest with those two, but murder wasn't the case.
As far as the thefts...most that i've heard of were always in popular sledding hubs. Seldom did someone take a sled out in the bush.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Obviously you never rode throughout the lac st. jean, or mounts valins region.
That's correct, I have never ridden north of the St Lawrence and I assume that must be a whole different deal.

Was really hoping to do a trip there this year to experience it, but it's looking like I shouldn't bank on it.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Don't judge Quebec by what nonsense takes place in and around Montreal; a relationship that I liken to New York City and Upstate New York .... the 2 couldn't be farther apart.

Took my family on a Quebec vacation a couple of summers ago, my youngest keeps asking when we are going back.

Reactions: too slow

·
Registered
40,806 Posts
That's correct, I have never ridden north of the St Lawrence and I assume that must be a whole different deal.

Was really hoping to do a trip there this year to experience it, but it's looking like I shouldn't bank on it.
Its a different world in that region, especially north in mounts valins where the scenery is something, not to say the rest of quebec sucks...hardly. Gaspe is another amazing trip to do. Western quebec is no slouch either, but your less likely to meet other riders on the trail some days. I've ridden the forks area in maine... found it way cheaper, and nice to while spending a few days there.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts