Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A 55 year old man died in the park on sat Dec.30. I just heard it on the news, I was riding there yesterday and am not surprised. It's very sad and is a perfect example of why so many people die every year. When you mix fast wide trails with icey corners and most importantly inexperience it's a recipe for disaster. The way they promote our sport as a safe activity and send tourists out on very crowded dangerous trails is not to smart.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So the gentleman who was killed was a tour guide from St. Donat who was riding as a passenger and was with a group of twelve from France, the S.Q. officer who was interviewed did not mention who was driving the snowmobile but did say that they missed a corner and went off the trail. My condolences to the mans family and let this be a reminder to everyone that snowmobiling is a very dangerous sport and extreme caution must be every riders first priority at all times. Although accidents do happen, 99% of them can be avoided and this is one of them, in my opinion one of two things caused this accident ,inexperience or carelessness. Please lets all be careful.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Hate to hear it! Sad Shit![/b]
Whats rong Quebec trails are solid ice. I think they want to RENT ROOMS and they don"t give a shit about your life. THAT IS VERY SAD. But they are very sick people. Trees have started to bend over on to the trails. and only a groomer might get through. BAD SHIT.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I'll watch the tv news. They will probably give more info.

Anyhow, the speed limit is 70 km/h. It's not fast but in those crowded area, we have no choice. Secondly, I found that european folks have no experience in driving snowmobile. I would obligate them to get training and a certification for driving a sled in Quebec.

How many times did I see a bunch of europeans parked in the middle of the trail or worst in a curve. And how many Bombardier REVs in the ditch. TOO MANY !

anyway, we lost a sledder, it's really sad.

·
Registered
29 Posts
From what I have heard about the conditions, it was probably due to an icy corner. No matter how good the grooming is, you can't keep ice from forming in the winter. I have been in that park and it is tempting to get up some speed. These things happen, and you can't blame anyone - it is like getting struck by lightning. I feel sorry for the guy and his family.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Very very sad, RIP. But I also have a question regarding riders from Quebec. In general, over the years of riding in Quebec, I noticed that sledders from Quebec do not stud thier sleds? Is there a reason why so many riders from Quebec do not stud thier sleds? Not that this would have made any difference, but it does bring up the question. Again my heart goes out to the family.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It can happen even if you are slow and careful, but you can't let it stop you.
RIP for this dude....[/b]
Sorry but when people are slow and careful this stuff does not happen, I'm not a cold hearted person I just want you to understand if people were careful 30 to 40 people a year wouldn't be killed on que. trails. unforunatly here in Canada the government pays for everything so basically inexperience and carelessness ruins it for everybody , this is why whithin two years it will cost 1000$ to put a plate on a sport bike. unfortunatly until people are held acountable for there actions the general public will continue to think all snowmobilers are dangerous. Unfortunatly public perception has alot to do with the future of our sport, and as long as inexperience and carelessness continues we will all pay.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Very very sad, RIP. But I also have a question regarding riders from Quebec. In general, over the years of riding in Quebec, I noticed that sledders from Quebec do not stud thier sleds? Is there a reason why so many riders from Quebec do not stud thier sleds? Not that this would have made any difference, but it does bring up the question. Again my heart goes out to the family.[/b]
I have never had studs and ride anywhere from 4000 to 9000 kms per year though studs are a good idea especially for inexperienced riders. If you adjust your riding to the conditions your just as safe if not more than somebody who thinks studs gives them the ability to ignore icey conditions. I was riding in the park on dec. 30 and the conditions were very icey this made me very nervous because I saw the number of inexperienced riders and experienced cowboys out there, this is why I wasn't surprised when I heard of the fatality.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
From what I have heard about the conditions, it was probably due to an icy corner. No matter how good the grooming is, you can't keep ice from forming in the winter. I have been in that park and it is tempting to get up some speed. These things happen, and you can't blame anyone - it is like getting struck by lightning. I feel sorry for the guy and his family.[/b]
As long as we don't blame anyone our sport will suffer. It's the attitude you have that is the problem. It's not like getting struck by lightning unless you climb a metal pole in the thunder storm. The guy went off the trail because he couldnt make the corner ,a big hand didn't come out of the sky and kill him. Whoever was driving the sled is at fault and as long as people don't see this things won't change. Like I said in Canada everydody pays for peoples carlesness and this pisses me off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have never had studs and ride anywhere from 4000 to 9000 kms per year though studs are a good idea especially for inexperienced riders. If you adjust your riding to the conditions your just as safe if not more than somebody who thinks studs gives them the ability to ignore icey conditions. I was riding in the park on dec. 30 and the conditions were very icey this made me very nervous because I saw the number of inexperienced riders and experienced cowboys out there, this is why I wasn't surprised when I heard of the fatality.[/b]

As long as we don't blame anyone our sport will suffer. It's the attitude you have that is the problem. It's not like getting struck by lightning unless you climb a metal pole in the thunder storm. The guy went off the trail because he couldnt make the corner ,a big hand didn't come out of the sky and kill him. Whoever was driving the sled is at fault and as long as people don't see this things won't change. Like I said in Canada everydody pays for peoples carlesness and this pisses me off.[/b]
Two very good posts! I agree 100% with both. :div20:

·
Registered
676 Posts
Very very sad, RIP. But I also have a question regarding riders from Quebec. In general, over the years of riding in Quebec, I noticed that sledders from Quebec do not stud thier sleds? Is there a reason why so many riders from Quebec do not stud thier sleds? Not that this would have made any difference, but it does bring up the question. Again my heart goes out to the family.[/b]
First of all.....who told you the driver was a Québecer........unfortunately you can't read french but according to this article.It is a French Tourist who lost control of his sled.

SAINT-DONAT (PC) - Un accident de motoneige a fait une victime à Saint-Donat, dans la région de Lanaudière, dimanche aux alentours de midi.
Un groupe de 12 motoneigistes dont plusieurs touristes français circulaient dans un sentier du parc du Mont-Tremblant quand l'un de ceux-ci a perdu le contrôle de son véhicule.

Le passager, Marcel Issa, un guide de 55 ans, a été grièvement blessé et transporté à l'hôpital de Sainte-Agathe, où il est mort de ses blessures un peu plus tard.

Le conducteur a été légèrement blessé lors de l'incident.

It's about time the Québec Government do something about these unexperienced snowmobilers.They are a public danger.By the way.I never had a studded sled of my life.It's all about between the ears.You cannot buy experience.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Sorry I was wrong the accident happened today Sunday Dec.31. They don't give any details and I'm sure they won't follow up.[/b]
the incident must have occurred close to the st-donat park gate. when krissy and i were coming out of the park mid-afternoon yesterday, there were two SQ police cruisers parked at the Mallard Relais just outside the park on the road to st-donat. the tour group must have arrived shorltly thereafter.

when we arrived at the parking lot around 9:00 am, and unloaded our sleds from the trailer, there were about a dozen rental sleds sitting in the first parking lot just inside the park gate, before the st-donat club check point.

we rode all of the park, (including caribou to the gate and back {drew's run to you oldtimers}), except the stretch from the st-michelle relais to macaza, and the corners were really icy at a lot of the usual places. with all the piss poor weather the trails on the majority of strait stretches were pretty decent; it was the corners that were hairy at places. glare ice under little to no snow cover.

so sorry to hear that Mssr. Issa lost his life due to the gross inexperience of the operator of the sled he was a passenger on. Issa was a longtime member of the st-donat snowmobiling community.

10-4 on the earlier posters who mention the need to ensure that the hordes of totally inexperienced pilgrims have some form of mandatory orientation/training before being turned loose on the trails of la belle province at great peril to themselves and all those who may encounter them on the trails.

RIP Mssr. Issa. Condolences to his family.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Perhaps I should post the discussion about the studs under a different topic. I think that studding the sleds actualy helps keep the trails groomed a little longer. Especially in the corners or going up hill. When the sleds are not studded they tend to spin and chew up these spots. I have ridden both ways and I understand it is a mtter of preference. I hope I did not insult anyone, it was not the intention it was just a friendly question, during a very sad start to the season.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I agree that studs do help but only to a small degree. You have to use your head and be responsible out there. There is no substitute for experience but a little common sense goes a long way. We've all seen the guy on our side of the trail in a corner thinking he's Blair Morgan and knowing the last 150 corners were all ice. Accidents happen but most are preventable. I dont know what I'd do if I was on the wrong side of the trail and killed someone that was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Hopefully we get some snow soon and we can all get out and enjoy whats left of this season!!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts