Hardcore Sledder banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
This is so true. The aftermarket kits are all complete junk waste of money making your sled run like crap and make you chase problems all season wondering why it runs like crap. Me and my friends have all learned the hard way on that
I see it all the time too. A friend of mine has a 15 pro x 800. Bought a bikeman or something kit for that sled. Paid all kinds of money. Pipe, engine mods the usual "stage something" kit. The sled ran great for a few rides. Then it sucked. Was slower than stock. Ran like garbage. Brought it back to the guys andafter they fixed it. Said everything was good. Needed a tune change. Same thing. Ran good for a day. Then garbage every day after. This went on for a few years. He hated the sled after that. Because of all those changes he needed a tune. They never got a tune that worked. Showed him where I built my long rod 800 at. Its stock besides rods and a spacer. Other stuff done for reliability. Stock pipe, stock everything. Made to run on the stock polaris tune. He got it back and it never skipped a beat. Only problem then was their "stage what ever" clutch kit in it still. "The best clutch kit around". It had no speed. Revved up quick. No arm pulling power. I said I need to look at whats in his clutch kit. His "full clutch kit" he paid for was weights and a primary spring. The secondary was never opened up. He called them to see what the deal is. They claimed that the stock sec spring and helix are the best for trail use... Wrong. Way off. I ordered him the spring and helix he actually needed. He came back into work the next day after trying it out and just had a massive smile amd shouted "yes! Thats exactly what I was looking for! Raced my wife and thats the fastest that sled has ever been." It was arm yanking too. Stock pipe. Near stock engine. Stock tune. Clutching that actually worked. He wasted thousands and thousands of dollars on the "stage crap" . he said he is staying stock with all his future machines. Because they are faster amd you get to ride them.

·
Registered
8,269 Posts
As many have you mentioned, I'm looking for ungroomed ride, with variable conditions, but it certainly isn't a race to the top, and as I have discussed with my colleagues, another issue is what happens with the thing breaks down out there... Leaving an expensive machine out in the woods doesn't sound so great. I've also been putting feelers out on Can Ams with tracks, etc., but now we're getting into a whole different ballgame, when it comes to cost.
You are over analyzing the shit out of this. Buy any crossover or mountain sled and be done with it. I've been riding sleds almost 30 years and have never had to walk from the sled. Internet is full of horror stories, with anything, not just sleds. For what you're doing, anything with a longer track and deeper lug will be fine.
A can am with tracks won't be climbing any hills in powder anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,701 Posts
Mm I take it you are a trail rider like me? I have had good luck as well as my friends and family over they years but we have still blown a few up and had chain case and clutch failures. But add up these isolated failures and we are talking probably like 1% or less of all rides. But to the OP I would check out mountain specific chat forums. You will get the real skinny on how these sleds hold up.

·
Registered
16,836 Posts
As many have you mentioned, I'm looking for ungroomed ride, with variable conditions, but it certainly isn't a race to the top
How deep and how steep?
Most mountain sleds are IMO not very well suited for 2 up operation, it screws up the weight distribution and handling. I'm sure most can be setup to work decent though with some tinkering

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Mm I take it you are a trail rider like me? I have had good luck as well as my friends and family over they years but we have still blown a few up and had chain case and clutch failures. But add up these isolated failures and we are talking probably like 1% or less of all rides. But to the OP I would check out mountain specific chat forums. You will get the real skinny on how these sleds hold up.
I would say that it will be mostly trail, with some powder. It will be a taxi type of deal. I went with the Yamaha 4 stroke, and was warned it doesn't handle powder well. I'm thinking an ATV winch may be worthwhile, and a test to see what we're dealing with, and whether I need to get some longer treads for the 'just in case'...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
How deep and how steep?
Most mountain sleds are IMO not very well suited for 2 up operation, it screws up the weight distribution and handling. I'm sure most can be setup to work decent though with some tinkering
That's the real unknown - given that I haven't seen the backcountry ski areas open to snowboarders yet, it could be variable, but my buddy seems to think it will be mostly trails. If things get dodgy, I've been thinking about investing in some treads with higher lugs...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
which yamaha?
Went with the FX XTX 144" - got a great deal on it, and really low mileage. Engine sounds great. Just unloaded it off the trailer today (that was a nightmare getting traction on the ramps we had, and lifting the front end by myself to put rollers under it nearly gave me a hernia). Looking into storing it outside right now... Not sure what to do, because I have too many toys in my garage. At least it came with a cover. Also has the extended fuel tank, hitch, and a toboggan, so that will be a plus if we go deep back country...

·
Premium Member
1,701 Posts
When I was younger we had no garage and had to store our sleds outside. Keep the track off the ground, which you would want to do regardless of where it's stored, and keep it covered good and you should be all set. I like to start mine at least once a month during the off season. Congrats on your new sled!

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
congrat's in the new to you sled!
HOWEVER< if I was YOU< I would spend the money buy a small shed to put it in and make sure shed is mouse tight
storing any sled outside is asking for premature rust on things like bearings and other more vital parts, and it opens the door to mice to chew on wires, nest in sled and so on!
its not that its NOT possible to do, but uif your already worried about how short a life span a sled has, storing outside, isn't going to add any help to your worries!

and I would read up, on the how to take care of your sled in off season storage and what to do pre season to help make it reliable and last, going over things that need being greased, inspecting things that wear a,d doing all PM"s to add life to it for you

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
congrat's in the new to you sled!
HOWEVER< if I was YOU< I would spend the money buy a small shed to put it in and make sure shed is mouse tight
storing any sled outside is asking for premature rust on things like bearings and other more vital parts, and it opens the door to mice to chew on wires, nest in sled and so on!
its not that its NOT possible to do, but uif your already worried about how short a life span a sled has, storing outside, isn't going to add any help to your worries!

and I would read up, on the how to take care of your sled in off season storage and what to do pre season to help make it reliable and last, going over things that need being greased, inspecting things that wear a,d doing all PM"s to add life to it for you
Yep - this is something that I would prefer as well. Have been looking at the possibility of a shed, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Yes, I'd like to figure out the maintenance on this thing, as well as figure out what parts I should be carrying on the mountain for typical break points...

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
I would spend some time over on the Yamaha site reading up on your year model and see what they found, lots of good info over there

FX Nytro General Talk

·
Registered
16,836 Posts
lifting the front end by myself to put rollers under it nearly gave me a hernia
A nytro? It should have a decent track for offtrail use and should give reliable service if properly maintained.
Expect to get stuck if you get into tricky spots (we all do, lol!) , but sounds like yo'll not be alone on your trips, some extra hands always helps. There's also some useful techniques to getting unstuck without causing more hernias. A snow-bunje is a useful tool.
As for putting rollers under the skis , lift the ski loops and use the skis to get more leverage

Reactions: dudeinco and mrbb

·
Insane Madcatter
06 F7 EFI / 00 MXZ 600
168 Posts
People make fun of the Nytro, but its a rocket for its weight and actually handles groomed trails really well.
I had a 09 Nytro XTX and really liked the tipped rail, and from a dig and with a few mods they can be a real handful.
It was a chore to ditchbang with it though, and turning at slow speeds took some effort, but I had no regrets, and I liked the rear seat exhaust exit, sounded awesome and was a great handwarmer on cold days!🤚

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
People make fun of the Nytro, but its a rocket for its weight and actually handles groomed trails really well. I had a 09 Nytro XTX and really liked the tipped rail, and from a dig and with a few mods they can be a real handful. It was a chore to ditchbang with it though, and turning at slow speeds took some effort, but I had no regrets, and I liked the rear seat exhaust exit, sounded awesome and was a great handwarmer on cold days!🤚
I have ridden both, and there is absolutely no comparison between the short track Nytro and the Nytro XTX. You couldn't pay be to take or ride a short track Nytro. However, the 144" Nytro XTX is probably the best home-grown sled Yamaha ever made. Between the track attack angle and that longer track, the Nytro XTX out accelerates, out handles, has a better ride, and a higher top speed than the short track Nytros of the SAME model year.

·
HCS Ambassador
2014 ZR8000lxr 19-20 mileage = 904.5
4,017 Posts
Nitro XTX was truely the "bike on a track" type of sled. Great acceleration and "bike" like feeling with it being so narrow. I agree with all the above statements.

Steve

41 - 57 of 57 Posts