Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wanting to get into snowmobile racing mainly cross country or any other form of racing with a trail class. I've been looking around and it seems as if COR powersports is the only series offered and its mainly in Minnesota? Why isn't their anything in Wisconsin anymore asides from eagle river? am I missing something? If anyone knows of any circuits or even small unpublished events in Wisconsin like the "carnage cruise" please let me know. I really enjoy fast pace ridding and unfortunately you always have to leave some talent left on the table when ridding trails for the guy coming the other way and im wanting to find an event to be able to ride to the top of my capabilities without breaking the bank to travel to other states after all I am still in college and broke as it is.

·
Registered
6,492 Posts
Neosho cup lakecross
Manawa snodeo lakecross.
There is everything from stock unstudded to pro open.
Its real heads up racing not racing the clock like xc racing.
I run at both if you want any more info.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Neosho cup lakecross
Manawa snodeo lakecross.
Neosho cup lakecross
Manawa snodeo lakecross.
Do they have a trail class? Could a guy run regular studs and not chissels? I'm in college and don't have a ton of cash to spend on studs and tracks haha! But id love some more info!

·
Registered
6,492 Posts
Yes ,There are trail classes.There arent a bunch of crazy expensive entry fees either.I think they both have a facebook page.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes ,There are trail classes.There arent a bunch of crazy expensive entry fees either.I think they both have a facebook page.
Thank you so much I just found their pages! This is way better then driving cross country before you even race cross country LOL!

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
That looks fun for sure. I’ll throw my 2 cents in. ( keep in mind I don’t know the rules for this particular race ) I would buy an older sled think gen 2 Polaris or edge or pick your favorite color but an older one late nineties or early 2000s . They are lower and stable with better attack angle off the drivers. Then I would slug the shocks and lower it more so it only has 4 -5 inches of travel. Put a 3/4 inch -1in track on it. With picks , shovel point stingers (if they still make them ) or mix of picks and chisels. You can turn some chisels sideways flat facing out for even more side grip. If you must use trail studs I’d use triggers. Clutch it kinda like a snow drag sled. You will need some backshjft but not like snowcross. You want it to fly speed wise. Cut the seat down to lower the center of gravity even more. And get get rid of all the crap that isn’t needed or mandated by rules. Run big carbides and let the skis have a lil front pressure. (Picture wearing the front of a carbide off first. Put enough pressure on them so it’s twitchy and a bit darty in straight line when not wide open. This will let you turn. By turbo looks of it you sort of need an unbiased oval sled . When you stud it. You will need to load the outer band also. And keep the inner and outer studs biased closer to the rails for maximum downforce. Put hooks on bars and get a brake lever or make one like an oval sled that goes down around in front of hook. That will allow you to ride the brake with your left pointer finger when turning hard left. Looks fun. As far as racing goes the videos I saw look like it’s very fairly economical also.

·
Registered
6,492 Posts
Each class has it own rules.Trail classes you can lower the sled using the adjustment but it cant be strapped down,slugged down,or shorter than stock shocks.
Otherwise youre pretty close with your advice except it needs a fair amount of backshifting.COR/USXC etc...races have long wide tracks where you just run wfo but we have a mix of twisties and wide sweepers....with one or two high speed straights.
As far as studding a pro class sled....that can change from day to day or even during the day..At Neosho some of the top ice racers from USXC/COR might be there so its a tough crowd running the semi pro or pro classes.Trail classes run trail studs and carbides so if you dont get through tech in the morning because of illegal equipment for your class you get bumped up to whatever class your sled is legal in.
The older sleds are easier to make fast for sure.There is a lot of running totally sideways so thats somthing to keep in mind.
For a beginner Id say just make sure you have good studs and a new set of carbides(sharpening isnt legal in trail classes).I see a lot of first timers with sleds that dont turn or have any traction.
Another thing I would recommend is some type of brake cooling duct.There is a lot of hard braking and if your handling is off you'll be using the brakes harder than others.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Yes I can see the not turning. I saw that on some of the videos. And knew right away the mistake they made there. A friend of mine got a big up his butt one year end entered semi pro in a sanctioned cc terrain race right off the trail O prep. Not even new carbides , and placed. He then went to a lake top race . Again did. Stud , carbide or lower etc. and got smoked. By basically unbiased oval sleds. Your right much to be said for proper traction on lake top racing

·
Premium Member
MY21 650 SBA 146, ES, ICE Storm 1.5
6,144 Posts
Plymouth Snow Rangers will have a race again this year on Valentine's Weekend Feb. 13 & 14th. Possibly another race there 2 weeks later.
Check the GNSS Racing Home Page for more details.
The Club has their own facility, on their own land, and makes their own snow on site. This event is very likely to take place.

Reactions: Nicknick12376

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for all the advice and information! I have a 2012 Skidoo xrs 800 that I'm trying to keep as stock as possible asides from suspension. If anyone else has another event they know of keep posting! Hopefully I can make this sled work but like many of you mentioned it might be like bringing a knife to a gunfight against older lower sleds. Luckily im pretty good with suspension adjustments but if any of you have any ideas on where to start with r motion on ice let me know! I am new to the R motion skid. As far as carbides go i have a set of 9 inch shaper bars i use only on ice (never touches concrete or trails) I also have a fresh set of 84 studs down the middle of a ice ripper track and plan on studding the outside belts with 42 studs additionally. (More or less studs? should that be good?). As far as shocks go I know how and im experienced in revalving and lowering. I also put a set of dual rate springs on the front since stock ones were super stiff single rates.

·
Registered
6,492 Posts
If you are running stock class you are going to want all of the trail studs you can get.You need to pull the limiter as tight as you can for ski pressure so you are going to lose some of the track that is getting put on the ground.If you can,you might want to play with some setups and test somewhere.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've been wanting to get into snowmobile racing mainly cross country or any other form of racing with a trail class. I've been looking around and it seems as if COR powersports is the only series offered and its mainly in Minnesota? Why isn't their anything in Wisconsin anymore asides from eagle river? am I missing something? If anyone knows of any circuits or even small unpublished events in Wisconsin like the "carnage cruise" please let me know. I really enjoy fast pace ridding and unfortunately you always have to leave some talent left on the table when ridding trails for the guy coming the other way and im wanting to find an event to be able to ride to the top of my capabilities without breaking the bank to travel to other states after all I am still in college and broke as it is.
Nick,
Cor used to be predominantly WI & MI but this past spring we acquired the pro national series, the schedule you originally saw with majority of the MN events is from this acquisition; majority of these events have been running for 40+ years.

With COVID restrictions in MN we have adjusted our schedule and Jan 9/10 we will be in Cable, WI at Lakewood's Resort.

We have an event in MI as well in late March on a ski hill but depends on what MI restrictions are as the event gets closer but I do have a WI hill lined up for a possible backup.

Another reason WI was not on the early schedule was most of our old venues don't have the space needed for the amount of people we will now have with the national series, I am working on that for the 21/22 schedule and hope to have a bit more diversity in venues.

Any questions on Cor PowerSports message me at [email protected]

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nick,
Cor used to be predominantly WI & MI but this past spring we acquired the pro national series, the schedule you originally saw with majority of the MN events is from this acquisition; majority of these events have been running for 40+ years.

With COVID restrictions in MN we have adjusted our schedule and Jan 9/10 we will be in Cable, WI at Lakewood's Resort.

We have an event in MI as well in late March on a ski hill but depends on what MI restrictions are as the event gets closer but I do have a WI hill lined up for a possible backup.

Another reason WI was not on the early schedule was most of our old venues don't have the space needed for the amount of people we will now have with the national series, I am working on that for the 21/22 schedule and hope to have a bit more diversity in venues.

Any questions on Cor PowerSports message me at [email protected]
I did see that Todd! And thank you for mentioning this to me and I was planing on entering when I saw that however with the weather being so warm I haven't been able to practice because of thin ice. Paying 200 dollars to enter a race with no practice on a new sled seems kind of ridiculous haha. Your trail class also doesn't mention a ton or rules for trail class. Most trail classes have to be stock ride height, trail carbides no longer then 10 inches and regular carbide tip studs, are these rules also true in your program.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts