Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Panther2006 here

I was reading back through older posts that were posted by members. There was one on the legislation(Law).
There wasn't much of an opinion generated on the topic.

Why not start now. add to this post why or Why not

My opinion
Yes we need some rules. Snowmobiles today have huge power in conparsion to when I was 14. The 12 hp elan was the power house then, with a top speed of app. 50 mph. With that power I experenced several painful events. We would build jumps, big jumps too. I once constructed a jump, of a huge 3 foot height. I think I got 3 feet of the groung and went app 10 feet. WoW. Last winter I watch Kids(YES KIDS) jump off manmade ramps 18 feet high, Snowmobile's in excess of 600 cc. (Stop and think).

With proper instruction from parents or Guardian, kids will turn into an excellent sledder's. With time, experence will prevail and that kid maybe able to handle todays sleds.

God be willing you will not experence a kid on your outing, with a busted head, leg or arm.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I am 15 and i think kids around my age and sometimes even the old people need to slow down when on the trails. 40 mph is plenty of fast for the state the trails are in around here. jumps its a different story. as long as you dont exceed your limits i thinks its all good.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have to express my opinion on this one.

I have mixed feelings on this subject since I have seen the helmet law come into effect for ATV's on a Provincial level. Sure, helmets save lives, but what about choice?

Snowmobiling for me represents one of the last unregulated frontiers where participants take care of themselves. I recognize the fact that snowmobiling is notorious for boozin' and cruisin' and strongly feel that activity should be monitored and derailed as quickly as possible, but speed is something that I would rather leave alone. I'm no idiot and I know where the high speed lanes are as well as the play areas and if I want to bring my little girl for a ride on her 380, I know when to stop and let her know where to stay close to the edge of the trail to make way for oncoming traffic, I know the areas where she can wander around and I know the general areas to stay away from.

The other one that gets me is the helmet law. I really do NOT want this to become mandatory in our province, it drives me nuts. When I ride my RX-1, the windshield is so low that it is impossible for me to not wear a helmet; not only would I freeze to death, but I wouldn't be able to see anything at all. However, when I go ptarmigan or caribou hunting on my Skandic WT, a helmet is the last thing I reach for. To hunt and track properly, you can't have a helmet on. Besides, I am travelling no faster than 40km/h most of the time while hauling a heavy load and the risk of accident is very low at that rate.

To me, informative courses given by each regional snowmobile club that cover safety, groomer awareness and etiquette (such as I am holding this coming weekend on the behalf of my club) are all that is needed to keep people in line. It has worked well in my region.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ran this same thread on the general forums and the responce was great.

Off all the posts the concerus seems to be that the "Parents be held responable for their kids actions". I personally dont agree with that concenus.

Take a look at that thread, it has more depth.

Lets get this thread going and generate a newfoundland basied, concenus.

STOP ANG THINK

·
Registered
49 Posts
I ran this same thread on the general forums and the responce was great.

Off all the posts the concerus seems to be that the "Parents be held responable for their kids actions". I personally dont agree with that concenus.

Take a look at that thread, it has more depth.

Lets get this thread going and generate a newfoundland basied, concenus.
STOP ANG THINK[/b]
I gave you my opinion and that is coming from a resident of Labrador, so it does have a local flavour.

I can certainly see your point, but I am not willing to give up personal liberties to have speed enforcement, it's just the way I feel about the situation. As was probably clear in my previous post, I am more concerned with the helmet law for snowmobiles than any other. That one does not fit the bill for all categories of snowmobiler, especially up here.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.