Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this topic in the "General Forum" just in case some participants just read their own Provincial areas.

I posed a question not long ago about fund raising and received a teriffic response, so I thought I would reach into the "knowledge pool" once more on an issue that I think is relevant.

Are there any snowmobile clubs that have some kind of a support or help plan to assist riders if they break down on the trail at a very inopportune time. For example, getting lost, running out of gas, unrepairable mechanical failure, need a tow, late at night and no traffic on the trails, riding alone, medical problem, accident with a tree, ran off the trail and can't get unstuck, tourist and don't know the area and where/how to get help, etc..

I would like to know if any of the clubs have a service or support plan in the event that a rider got into trouble and had a phone number that he/she could call. If the answer is yes, then I would surely appreciate in hearing about how you support and handle this kind of a service or help.

Up here in North Western Ontario and Northern Manitoba the temperatures can get deadly and without too much notice at times. Getting caught in one of the above situations after dark and in sub zero temperatures is dangerous.

I know that some of the situations can be remedied by not running alone, BUT there are times when we take a chance and get caught - Murphy's law applies.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
You do have a very good point there.
It would be a good idea to post some emergency information at our shelter, as to where the nearest road access is, the emergency phone # for the area, and the exact location of the shelter.
I know that some clubs have an emergency sled.
Good topic.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by Polaris_Dave@Oct 11 2005, 10:20 AM
You do have a very good point there.
It would be a good idea to post some emergency information at our shelter, as to where the nearest road access is, the emergency phone # for the area, and the exact location of the shelter.
I know that some clubs have an emergency sled.
Good topic.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=922001
[/quote]

Thanks Dave. Good thought about info posting at shelters. Maybe I could just take my thoughts a bit further as to the direction of my idea.

I would guess the medical emergencies might be a more difficult problem to address due to the fact that litigation might be forthcoming because of unqualified persons being involved. Litigation to some is an opportunity to make money.

My primary concern was for the other reasons where a simple solution might be available. My thinking was that if you could call a friend, then why could you not call someplace where there was a person(s) available at all times to help someone in trouble - medical emergencies aside? Perhaps RCMP/OPP and Provincial rescue teams are the more appropriate venue for handling medical problems. Those perhaps could be shared within certain agreed upon boundaries at a later time with the appropriate authourities. All emergency vehicles and personnel are usually travelling in ambulances or helo's. Maybe there should be some sort of "twining" of the two entities when a medical emergency arises. Here in Ontario, I think the present practice is that the emergency people will not attend on a lake with a vehicle, etc..

My thought was more along the lines that there could be a team that would be available from snowmobile period X to snowmobile period Y on a 24 hour, seven day a week basis. Perhaps a team of three of four volunteer people could rotate or "man" an emergency phone number. Information could be available on the website or handed out at the time of a SnoPass purchase. Perhaps this service could be made available to each member from the respective snowmobile sites with a subscription charge of $100.00 dollars for the season. I'm not sure but I would think that some snowmobile clubs have a "club" snowmachine for club use, thereby perhaps relieving a volunteer from using their personal snowmachine. This would take into account gassing up the Emergency snowmobile sled both ways, taking out 5 gallons of gas if required and/or towing. A person available to give directions or information to somebody who is looking for directions without even having to attend would be handy (no charge). If at the end of the season a person did not require or draw on the use of the "emergency team" service, then the $100.00 or remainder of it could be refunded etc.. My thinking here is the charge for gasoline required to operate the rescue snowmachine etc. as it isn't my intention for the snowmobile clubs to bear a burden or cost.

I know this is a somewhat crude design or idea but with discussion and more minds in the "thought" pool perhaps with a little "tweaking", something beneficial might come of it. I know I would sure like to hear from fellow riders about this idea and what they think would be of value, pros and cons, whether or not they are receptive to this kind of help service and their suggestions/ideas. Who better?

I know that if I was sitting out somewhere in the middle of the bush at nightime, minus 25 below and in a problem I would surely think that any kind of help would be worth it.

Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Asking volunteers to sit around waiting for a emergency call is not going to work. First, your volunteers are generally needed to work on the trails.

In our area, our district map list all the clubs along with a phone number (typically the president or the clubhouse). When I had a breakdown, I did call the local club and they came to my rescue. I have also received calls as the club president and help snowmobiliers get on their way.

Have A Great Day

·
Registered
7,348 Posts
I know at one derby I went on, they had a sled w/ an emergency toboggan behind it, and an emergency kit built on the back of the sled.
In case of breakdowns, one thing that worked good for us is my dad and another guy I ride with have 2-up machines, so it was okay if one of us were left w/o a running sled in the middle of nowhere. But now my dad is trading his Panther to my uncle for his Jag, which is only a 1 person machine.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by montinj@Oct 11 2005, 09:08 PM
Asking volunteers to sit around waiting for a emergency call is not going to work.  First, your volunteers are generally needed to work on the trails. 

In our area, our district map list all the clubs along with a phone number (typically the president or the clubhouse).  When I had a breakdown, I did call the local club and they came to my rescue.  I have also received calls as the club president and help snowmobiliers get on their way.

Have A Great Day
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=923324
[/quote]

Montinj - thanks for your post and thoughts. Maybe I should explain a little better what I had in mind when I said an "emergency team". My thought was that we could get two or three volunteers in a pool instead of leaving it up to one person. Chances are that not all volunteers in the pool would be on the trails every day, and therefore only one would be on standby. Anyone in the pool not riding could step up and be available for a few days at a time. I don't think that the incidents of breakdowns etc. would be very frequent nor would there be much of a demand on the volunteers, but it could happen sometime somewhere that a person could run into a problem. It would be a comfort knowing that there is recourse in the event of a problem.

Basically I think what you experienced with another club and what you did as club president is what I would like to see more of. Perhaps it's already in place but I just don't see it communicated in any way, shape or form on the websites or anywhere else for that matter in either Province.

Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts