Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 11 year old son. What are the rules in Wisconsin? I live in Minnesota but have a cabin in Danbury. If he has the Mn course is he good?

Jeff

·
Doesn't play well with other
5,450 Posts
I have an 11 year old son. What are the rules in Wisconsin? I live in Minnesota but have a cabin in Danbury. If he has the Mn course is he good?

Jeff[/b]
Wisconsin rules are 12yr old with Cert.
If he has the Minn. Cert. I believe he will be ok.

I have friends who have taken there 10 and 11 yr old boys out without cert and never got hassled. Both boys very big for age could have passed for 13-14 with ease. Never alone always with there rents.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He has only ridden on our lake and in the public boat launch circle on the wifes 98 XCF 440. He does well and is ready for more. I may try to find some day during the week and take him out. The trails around the cabin are not very busy. I have ridden 300 miles this year on two different weekends and have only seen a half dozen sleds and a few four wheelers.

Jeff

·
Registered
523 Posts
As a Snowmobile Safety Instructor, here is the scoop. Your son may operate in WI on his MN certifitcate. However, since he is only 11, you or your spouse must be ON THE SAME SLED HE IS RIDING. This is because in WI you must be 12 to ride on your own. YOu may take the course at 11 but cannot operate your own sled without a parent on with you until you are 12. He also MUST have his MN cetificate on him while riding. If you would get stopped and he isn't in compliance with these two rules, you both may be cited. You for allowing someone not of age to operate, whic is $186.00. He, could receive one for operating without a certificate which would be a $50.00 fine sincehe is under the age of 16.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
If you think he can handle it I would chance it. Im sure if you do get stopped you wouldent get much more than a warning. I was riding on my family farm since I was 7.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Any person who is born on or after 1 January 1985, must have completed and received a snowmobile safety certificate in order to operate a snowmobile in Wisconsin. Yes, that means even if you are 20 years old, you have to have the certificate.

·
Registered
523 Posts
If you think he can handle it I would chance it. Im sure if you do get stopped you wouldent get much more than a warning. I was riding on my family farm since I was 7.[/b]
GUESS AGAIN!!
That violation is a BIG ONE. You do not get warned for riding without having attended the safety class OR for having attended it and not carrying your card with you. In our County, and most around the State- you get cited for this, as there is no way for us to check out on the trail if you have your certification unless you have the card with you. The good news is that there is a restriction on how long you must carry that card with you. Once you die you no longer need it! :biggrin:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts