Hardcore Sledder banner

Snow, N.W. Wisconsin

129K views 2K replies 71 participants last post by  Wimpy900 
#1 ·
We received +/- 4 inches of snow last night & today 11/14/2021

#2 ·
We'll be packing and/or grooming on or before December 1st if mother nature cooperates. Here in Douglas County we received approx 1" on Friday night, and 4" last night. We have skim ice forming on the edges of the lakes and an ice covering on small ponds. With the cold temps lows forecast this week, we are optimistic. I will be putting up final signage and post on our trail system this week, and we are ready to rock up here.....

I expected the ground to still be too warm for the snow to hold, but thus far, we're not seeing much ground melt. The daily high temps this week will likely melt the snow, but those nightly low temps will start to freeze up the swamps and allow the frost to penetrate.

The down side is that our groomers are awaiting repairs at Lulich Implement. Parts are an issue......

#7 ·
Had perhaps 2-3" around here, enough to get the sled out and take a run around the fields. By late afternoon, the tracks were freezing up and the driveway was getting crunchy. The small ponds have a skin of ice on them. The snow will likely be gone by the weekend, but the ground is cooling off - will probably be starting to freeze up. We're starting to head the right direction. Funny thing is I played golf wearing shorts a week ago. As I was playing, I was wondering if it was going to be the last time this year, because the weather can turn on a dime....

#23 ·
Hawaii under blizzard warning as 12 inches of snow and winds up to 100 mph expected

Gabriela Miranda
Fri, December 3, 2021, 12:12 PM

The National Weather Service has issued a blizzard warning until Sunday morning on the Big Island of Hawaii.
The warning remains in effect from 6 p.m. Friday until 6 a.m. Sunday as up to 12 inches or more of snow is expected on the island. NWS also warns residents to stay indoors as forecasters predict winds gusting over 100 mph.
"Travel could be very difficult to impossible. Blowing snow will significantly reduce visibility at times, with periods of zero visibility," NWS's weather warning reads.
Aside from the blizzard warning, a Kona low is expected near the islands starting on Saturday night. Kona storms are a type of seasonal cyclone in the Hawaiian Islands, usually formed in the winter from winds coming from the westerly "Kona" direction, according to N. Kona lows often bring about wet and "unsettled" weather.

Last January, snow blanketed a small part of Hawaii's Big Island, which is Hawaii's largest main island. Since the summits of Hawaii's Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa volcanoes both rise over 13,000 feet in elevation, when cold fronts and heavy rains form, snow falls, according to the Weather Channel.
The official coldest temperature witnessed in Hawaii is 12 degrees, which was recorded at the Mauna Kea Observatory on May 17, 1979, according to the Weather Channel.
Follow Gabriela Miranda on Twitter: @itsgabbymiranda

#24 ·
Most don’t realize it snows there!!
I look at web cams every now and then for snow.
It is technically the worlds tallest mountain!!

#27 ·
I'm not sure about Mauna Loa but Mauna Kea is a National Park and its summit area is accessible and people play on the snow. It took some searching time and I found this org with pertinent information including: " Snow Recreation: ALL SNOW-PLAY IS AT YOUR OWN RISK. Snowmobiles and devices lacking directional or braking mechanisms, such as inner tubes and boogie boards, are prohibited. " Visiting Maunakea Safely & Responsibly

#30 ·
Winter Weather Advisory
Start
End
Saturday, December 4, 10:00 PM CST
Monday, December 6, 6:00 AM CST
Source: U.S. National Weather Service
...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 10 PM THIS EVENING TO 6 AM CST MONDAY... * WHAT...Snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 4 to 6 inches. Winds gusting as high as 35 mph. * WHERE...Burnett, Washburn, Sawyer and Price Counties. This includes the Tribal Lands of the Lac Courte Oreilles Reservation. * WHEN...From 10 PM this evening to 6 AM CST Monday. * IMPACTS...Travel could be very difficult. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... Slow down and use caution while traveling. The latest road conditions can be obtained by calling 5 1 1. Road conditions can also be found at 511mn.org for Minnesota or 511wi.gov for Wisconsin.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.