Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got a trip planned to a buddies cabin in bemidji starting on thursday and going through the weekend and wondering if there is snow within an hour or two to ride? we are going no matter what, just wondering if there is enough to trailer the sleds. I know bemidji has basically no snow but wondering if there is any in the area. any help would be greatly appreciated.. thanks..

·
Premium Member
5,972 Posts
I was up in Bemidji last weekend (New Years). I went to see the GF and to visit friends, went to school at BSU. Anywhoo, you're right there's pretty much no snow in Bemidji. I headed up 71 towards International Falls. I dropped in Big Falls. I tried to ride the trail heading west but only made it 10 miles till a bridge was out. The trail had hardly been traveled and I had to use the GPS. I then backtracked and took the Blue Ox trail northeast. It was mostly white but had some rocky sections. I then hopped off and headed east towards Lake Kabetegoma (sp???). The terrain up there is nothing but bumpy ass swamp land. To say it was rough would be a huge understatement. It reminded me of riding a plowed farm field. As in if there's not at least 10-12 on the ground forget about it. I put on 87 miles that day and the only thing that was remotely rideable was the Blue Ox, but boring as hell. You're best bet I think would be to ride the rivers (Ash River) but I don't know how safe it is. Oh, about the snow, there was a crusty 4" or so on the ground.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I then hopped off and headed east towards Lake Kabetegoma (sp???). The terrain up there is nothing but bumpy ass swamp land. To say it was rough would be a huge understatement. It reminded me of riding a plowed farm field. As in if there's not at least 10-12 on the ground forget about it.[/b]
Kabetogama is the correct spelling and your version is closer than a lot I hear, believe me!. Us locals call it kab, or kabby. As far as the bumpy ass swamp land thing - you're pretty right on. Take a shovel sometime and you find clay pretty quick if you don't find rocks at least here on the river. We also got a bunch of beavers in our neck of the woods which screw up/create flowages on a year to year basis. This year is a low water year due to precip; you should see the swamps in a wet year. I'm sure none of this is too much different from the bemidji area?

You're best bet I think would be to ride the rivers (Ash River) but I don't know how safe it is.[/b]
Ash River is definitely safe for sled travel. I've seen an SUV across already over New Years. I've measured 14", but this is not to say that you couldn't find areas with less, but still sufficient for snow machine travel. As far as other rivers go. Thats an own risk kind of deal. You got low water, but you had warm weather earlier, which creates runoff, which creates current, which erodes ice. Just be careful and talk to a local or ride with enough people to yank a sled out if need be. Dropping water levels create a sort of "psuedo" ice layer above the real water, this hurts ice strength.

Arcticman - Bemidji is a pretty long haul from Ash river and I tend to agree with nacapster on the rockiness. Some land trails have been packed, some haven't been touched. I don't know about the bemidji area, but riding the rabbit trails and/or forest roads around here would be you best bet, which is still far from perfect especially if they are plowed! I may go out tomorrow to see what the land trails are like after today and will take pictures if I do. Kabetogama is staked from Ash River to Intl. Falls so I may have to take a spin on the lake. It was windy today and we got some snow in the 2" range. But, with drifting, I'm curious to see what is still bare and what is piled up on the lake.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so i guess its lookin like a no go for sleddin in that area.. even within like 2-3 hours the way it looks.. was thinkin of goin to voyageur (sp) but it looks like that isnt good either.. never been there.. id like to though..

·
Banned
26,151 Posts
I was up at Ash River Trail this summer and loved it up there. We stayed 3 nites. I think I would enjoy it more in the winter. Do HCS'ers get special discount rates?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts