Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been following the development of these for a couple of years now,there very intriguing.Have you ridden one yet and what did you think of it?I'm curious if these can be ridden on the trail safely.I like to explore through the woods and the thought of the ski always packing the trail for you sounds like the perfect boondocker to me,but I would have to ride the trail for a couple of miles to get to the boonies.I just got some info from ADBOIVIN saying they were offering new colors and a revised ski,I never liked the orange,so now there even more tempting.what do you think of them?

·
Registered
861 Posts
I rode one out west earlier this season.
It was alot of fun, but alot of work compared to riding a sled. I thought I was going to pull a groin muscle in the first 5 minutes of riding.
We were riding in 2 feet of hard packed powder that had had some freezing rain on it earlier in the day. The Hawk had the powder ski on the front. It was a bit of work getting it to turn. You had to have some pretty good forward momentum to get it to turn. It turns with alot of body english over the track, the ski just kind of pushed across the hard pack.
It had decent accelleration and is quite light compared to a sled. I am sure it would have been more fun in deep powder where the front ski may have done more to help manuevering the ride.

Kevin

·
Registered
580 Posts
They might be a good boondocker. haven't seen one out yet, People thought the firecat was going to be tippy, but that snow hawk looks like it will take some time getting used to...

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like it handled like a firecat with stock settings and stock ski's! :lol: :lol: :D

·
Registered
861 Posts
on the hard pack, it felt more like running a dirt bike in deep sand, with regular tires on it.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How was the stability on the hardpack?Did you feel the need to hang your foot off the side for cornering?Maybe the new ski design will improve the turning problem your describing.Is there two different ski's,you made reference to the "powder ski",is there also a hardpack ski? :unsure:

·
Registered
276 Posts
I would like to try the snowhawk also. I love riding my dirtbike and could see myself tradeing in my F5 for one. The only thing holding me back is that i fear that I may get into trouble in icy corners.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I know they had 2 skis for it at the time I rode it. There was the powder ski that we used, and then the racing ski that they were using for SnoCross exhibition races.
From what my dealer buddy told me, the racing one is better for edging as on trails.
It did make you want to put your foot out unless you were over 30-35 mph.
It always wanted to tip over when you tried to turn at slower speeds.
Because the momentum from the track and your body english is what was turning you, if you were going too slow, it would try and push over on its side.
They would have to have a real good carving ski on the front, before I would ever even think of taking on a Michigan trail.

Kevin

·
Registered
127 Posts
I sat on one that was at a dealership on the showroom floor and i though it felt absolutely enormous and very heavy.

I mean compared to a snowmobile it's probably relatively light but when you're sitting on it you feel like you're on a motorcycle so it just feels huge and cumbersome. I didn't like the feel of it at all. Of course i never got a chance to actually ride it.

The dealer told me they're fun for bombing around in a field but you probably won't see then on a trail simply because they're so much work to ride. He didn't think anyone would venture far from home on them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts