Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who knows the HINKY-LUNTA Dance. What ever it is lets all meet at the ACSC club house and do it. We have one lady member that said she even would do it in her Leopard print undies if it would help :taz: :nudie: :rockernana: :party:

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
here is some history of heikki luanta

n 1970, during the early days of the reawakening of Finnish ethnic consciousness in North America, a chance radio advertisement created a now-popular folk character in the Finnish ethnic community on the Keweenaw Peninsula of Upper Michigan. This character, Heikki Lunta [hay’-key loon’-ta], was originally presented in a song, and immediately became a parcel of the local cultural life. Since that time, Heikki Lunta has become the subject of other songs, stories, festivals, jokes, and even a common folk belief.

Heikki Lunta stands as a metaphor for many things, and as his uses continue to grow, so do his meanings from person to person. He can cross ethnic, economic, and geographic lines, but his survival in folklore depends on those who first imagined him, the residents of the Upper Peninsula.

What follows is a history of the character, examples of the cultural creations that have resulted from his existence, and an exploration of the meanings that Heikki Lunta has for different people. Speaking of, or through, Heikki Lunta is more than just talk about the weather. It is talk about social construction of self, communal pasts and futures. It is talk about Finnish-American and Upper Peninsula self-image and it is talk about the changes these communities continue to face. Tervetuloa [Welcome].

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

n 1970, during the early days of the reawakening of Finnish ethnic consciousness in North America, a chance radio advertisement created a now-popular folk character in the Finnish ethnic community on the Keweenaw Peninsula of Upper Michigan. This character, Heikki Lunta [hay’-key loon’-ta], was originally presented in a song, and immediately became a parcel of the local cultural life. Since that time, Heikki Lunta has become the subject of other songs, stories, festivals, jokes, and even a common folk belief.

Heikki Lunta stands as a metaphor for many things, and as his uses continue to grow, so do his meanings from person to person. He can cross ethnic, economic, and geographic lines, but his survival in folklore depends on those who first imagined him, the residents of the Upper Peninsula.

What follows is a history of the character, examples of the cultural creations that have resulted from his existence, and an exploration of the meanings that Heikki Lunta has for different people. Speaking of, or through, Heikki Lunta is more than just talk about the weather. It is talk about social construction of self, communal pasts and futures. It is talk about Finnish-American and Upper Peninsula self-image and it is talk about the changes these communities continue to face. Tervetuloa [Welcome].[/b]

YAH - What He :pointlaugh: Said

·
Premium Member
1,876 Posts
The groomers up in Mass City ( Near Ontanagon ) had a " heikki luanta " dance last weekend and IT SNOWED ....! I believe I just solved why non of us have gotten it to snow yet...It seems you just cant get away with typing it on the internet, cause Mother Nature obviously doesnt have a computer :dunno:

Heikki Lunta Snow Dance Party

Snowmobile Club Snow Dance Party For Everyone!

When you don’t have any snow to groom the trails, and when you don’t have any snow for upcoming races, you’ll do almost anything. That’s why the North Country Snowmobile Club of Ontonagon is calling on the help of the public to get out the ‘swampers, pine boughs, trapper hats, and wool plaid jackets.’

“We’re calling on everybody to do the Heikki Lunta Snow Dance,” said club President Skip Schulz. This Ontonagon and Silver City based club is having a ‘Heikki Lunta Snow Dance Party.’ The party will be Saturday, December 30th, at the North Country Snowmobile Clubhouse. The dancing will begin at 6:00.

With the permission of the Village of Ontonagon Fire Department, the dancing will take place next to a bonfire. The club is going to be giving away trophies to the best man and woman ‘Heikki Lunta Snow Dancer,’ along with a trophy for the best ‘Heikki Lunta’ attire.

“I would think that with enough people calling on Heikki to bring us snow, we should be able to do a club snowmobile ride right after the party,” according to Schulz. Schulz stated, “I’m thinking that just the word of getting a lot of people out doing the Heikki Lunta Snow Dance will scare Mother Nature so much…we’ll probably get dumped on BEFORE the party!”

The North Country Snowmobile club grooms over 100 miles of snowmobile trails, including the popular trail down the South Boundary Road and to Lake of the Clouds. The club also grooms the trails from White Pine through Ontonagon to Greenland. They have a contract with the Michigan DNR, and the only way the club raises the money to pay for its grooming operations is to groom the trails. However the lack of snow has kept the groomers off the trails.

The club also sponsors the MASTERS Sanctioned “Sno-Go-Bye Festival Snowmobile Drag Races” on March 3rd behind the Y-101 Studios. Then the following weekend the club has the United States Snowmobile Association Dodge Trucks Pro Star Series Ice Oval and Snow Cross Races at the North Country Snowmobile Clubhouse. Those races conclude the “Sno-Go-Bye” Festival.

However the club is concerned that the snow has ‘gone by’ the Western End of the UP now, when they need the snow. “We desparately need the snow to start packing the drag strip and to begin to pile the snow for the Snow Cross Races,” remarked Schulz. The North Country Snowmobile Club does not have the money to rent .making equipment for the races. All the races go to local charitable causes.

Schulz is the person responsible for starting the popular Copper Peak Snowmobile Hillclimb. This years hillclimb will take place on January 20th. That event draws thousands of fans to the Western UP. However due to lack of snow, the Hillclimb had been cancelled the last two years.

While the “Heikki Lunta” Snow Dance party is free and open to all ages, the club is seeking donations and membership. As the original Heikki Lunta Snow Dance song says, “If this doesn’t bring snow, I’ll go back to making hay” Hay that they can use for bales to put around the track for future races, according to Schulz.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well are we going to do it ??? we need a snow dance party. i can set it up at the acsc club house. what weekend would you's like to have it (sooner the better) my trigger finger is getting itchey

·
Registered
52 Posts

What follows is a history of the character, examples of the cultural creations that have resulted from his existence, and an exploration of the meanings that Heikki Lunta has for different people. Speaking of, or through, Heikki Lunta is more than just talk about the weather. It is talk about social construction of self, communal pasts and futures. It is talk about Finnish-American and Upper Peninsula self-image and it is talk about the changes these communities continue to face. Tervetuloa [Welcome].[/b]
Kiitos.

The Heikki Lunta Winterfest in Negaunee is January 19-21. I believe the Radar Runs are on Teal Lake on Saturday. With Fireworks that night. Always a great time.

·
Registered
52 Posts
if its on the lake can we use a paddle track or just a paddle :smilielol: :smilielol:[/b]
Actually the lake is frozen, and they have even had to plow snow off of the spot where they will be running the sleds. I was going to run my new Crossfire, if they had left snow there. I don't want to run on the ice, I don't pick my track. Oh well, I'll still go and have a good time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts