Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How are the snow and trail conditions in the Grand Rapids to Virginia area? Looking to take a trip up there in the near future. Is there enough of a good base to make it through this next week's warming?

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
I rode the taconite on monday to side lake from northwest of Virginia and it was in 100% perfect condition. I was blown away. The warm weather might firm some of the loose powder up.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't ridden much past Side Lake heading north. How are the trails and riding areas up that way from Side Lake to Virginia? Are there any play areas along the way.

I think we're going to try to get up there the last weekend in January. That'll give the trails a little bit of time to recover from the warm weather. John Dee's website also shows the potential for a nice recovery in snow amounts the middle of next week. If I didn't have tickets to the SCSU/Gophers hockey game on the 12th, I'd be heading up there that weekend.

Have you gotten out on Swan yet? My aunt was telling me that the ice is in pretty bad shape. Heavy slush.

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
I haven't ridden much past Side Lake heading north. How are the trails and riding areas up that way from Side Lake to Virginia? Are there any play areas along the way.

I think we're going to try to get up there the last weekend in January. That'll give the trails a little bit of time to recover from the warm weather. John Dee's website also shows the potential for a nice recovery in snow amounts the middle of next week. If I didn't have tickets to the SCSU/Gophers hockey game on the 12th, I'd be heading up there that weekend.

Have you gotten out on Swan yet? My aunt was telling me that the ice is in pretty bad shape. Heavy slush.[/b]

The trails in the Virginia area are good. There is more snow in this area than in the grand rapids....and as you get toward Lake Vermilion, there is even MORE snow. This warm up will do absolutely nothing to the trails but make them better.

I only go to Swan in summer, if at all.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts

Have you gotten out on Swan yet? My aunt was telling me that the ice is in pretty bad shape. Heavy slush.[/b]
I just got back from the Swan area yesterday, great riding! The trails were a bit spent by Monday but the groomers were out in force yesterday. I eye fished Swan over new years and it sucked(one 21" that went back)...some kind of larvae hatch clouding the water. There is between 12-15" of ice and about 3-6" of snow. There is still some slush on the lake(most of it froze a couple of weeks ago) but it's about average for snowy years(more snow/slush toward the S/SE end). I was using a 4 wheeler for towing my portable house and had little to no problems getting around.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good to hear the lake is freezing up. Been out there in heavy slush before, not fun. It's usually a bit worse down by Rogers in the SE bay. Too bad that's where one of the trails comes out on the lake.

As far as fishing, Swan seems to be in a transition. DNR confirmed the fish population is extremely strong (all species - walleye, pike, and even crappies & sunnies). Tulibee are heavy as well. Combined, it's been a tough fishery for the past 3 years.

·
Registered
854 Posts
actually rogers bay aint bad. went over it this afternoon. little slush by the shore, but not bad once ya got out a ways.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Any current updates? Im staying at Breezy Point right now and the trails are shot here. Might as well ride a quad down the muddy trails.

Hoping to go there tomorrow morning. Any updates would be much appreciated.

thanks.

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
wish i had some good news for ya, but the warm weather killed the trails around here..[/b]

really?

The trails here were fXXking awesome here tonite. Everything north and east of hibbing is top notch right now. I rode 40 miles tonite and didnt hit a bump or rock.

·
Registered
854 Posts
the trail between taconite and pengilly is rough. the daybrook north ain't horrible, but it's not good either.

this 4" we got would have helped but the groomer dragged it all off the trail...

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
the trail between taconite and pengilly is rough. the daybrook north ain't horrible, but it's not good either.

this 4" we got would have helped but the groomer dragged it all off the trail...[/b]

Head east my friend.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts