Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've been asked why I post here... but having grown up in the U.P. and having friends in the snowmobile business here up north whose livelihoods depend on the weather, it's something I enjoy doing. I Hope that some of you enjoy the fresh snow... lots of calls last night into our weather center about the thunder/lightning thrown in for good measure!

My weather spotters and chat with the NWS offices this morning show St. Ignace the big winner for snowfall with 9" tallied there. Allenville (just north of there) had 8". The Soo came in with 8". It appears that areas along/east of I-75 in the U.P. over the Drummond Island had 6-9 inches of snow.

For Lower Michigan, it was a bit spottier. Radar this morning showed heavy snow in the Straits region. I know Gaylord officially tallied 7.5" with Wolf Lake near Baldwin in Lake County coming in at 7". The Ludington area reported in 6" this morning. Most places along/north of highway US-10 in the L.P. picked up from 3-7".

Quiet and dry with flurries statewide Saturday... Weak low pressure rolls in Sunday meaning that some light snow is likely Sunday morning over Northern Lower (not a lot of accumulation with light snow lingering into Monday).

Yes, cold air is indeed on the way, but not until the Wed-Thu timeframe next week. Tuesday looks dry, with snow looking pretty likely Wednesday along our polar front that will roll through. Thursday into next weekend looks to be the start of an extended period of cold weather as that chilly airmass that has been locked up well north surges into the Lower 48 and the Upper Great Lakes. Yes, lake effect snow will set up shop in the snow belts later next week, but keep in mind that as you go later in the season, lake effect snow gets "more powdery" and doesn't pile up quite as much since the lake temperatures are much cooler now that in October/November and it requires a lot colder air to get that temperature differential and lake effect machine going--- aka... colder air holds less moisture meaning smaller flakes. Still, we at least won't be losing snow and slowly building back that lost base. Enjoy!

-Joe Charlevoix (Yes- my real last name LOL)
http://www.tv7-4.com/weather

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Hi, I've been asked why I post here... but having grown up in the U.P. and having friends in the snowmobile business here up north whose livelihoods depend on the weather, it's something I enjoy doing. I Hope that some of you enjoy the fresh snow... lots of calls last night into our weather center about the thunder/lightning thrown in for good measure!

My weather spotters and chat with the NWS offices this morning show St. Ignace the big winner for snowfall with 9" tallied there. Allenville (just north of there) had 8". The Soo came in with 8". It appears that areas along/east of I-75 in the U.P. over the Drummond Island had 6-9 inches of snow.

For Lower Michigan, it was a bit spottier. Radar this morning showed heavy snow in the Straits region. I know Gaylord officially tallied 7.5" with Wolf Lake near Baldwin in Lake County coming in at 7". The Ludington area reported in 6" this morning. Most places along/north of highway US-10 in the L.P. picked up from 3-7".

Quiet and dry with flurries statewide Saturday... Weak low pressure rolls in Sunday meaning that some light snow is likely Sunday morning over Northern Lower (not a lot of accumulation with light snow lingering into Monday).

Yes, cold air is indeed on the way, but not until the Wed-Thu timeframe next week. Tuesday looks dry, with snow looking pretty likely Wednesday along our polar front that will roll through. Thursday into next weekend looks to be the start of an extended period of cold weather as that chilly airmass that has been locked up well north surges into the Lower 48 and the Upper Great Lakes. Yes, lake effect snow will set up shop in the snow belts later next week, but keep in mind that as you go later in the season, lake effect snow gets "more powdery" and doesn't pile up quite as much since the lake temperatures are much cooler now that in October/November and it requires a lot colder air to get that temperature differential and lake effect machine going--- aka... colder air holds less moisture meaning smaller flakes. Still, we at least won't be losing snow and slowly building back that lost base. Enjoy!

http://www.tv7-4.com/weather[/b]
Thanks for the post keep us updated

·
Banned
10,423 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,876 Posts
Welcome to the gang Joe.. !!!! It will be great having you post the actual weather for us... Now if you could control it, im thinking the group would buy you a beer or two... ( Umm After the ride )

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Welcome to the gang Joe.. !!!! It will be great having you post the actual weather for us... Now if you could control it, im thinking the group would buy you a beer or two... ( Umm After the ride )[/b]
Ya if you can make it snow, Let us know we sure will :beer_cheers:

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Joe rocks! :beer_cheers:

Thanks for the update! Lets all keep up the snowdancing! :dance2: Sounds like it is starting to work again.

·
Registered
30 Posts

http://www.tv7-4.com/weather[/b]

·
Registered
30 Posts
joe! awesome weather insight!sometimes i think im the only weather goo roo out there when my wife has to monitor my weather channel viewing so its good to see others on that bandwagon.like i tell her "everything in life depends on the weather babe".i see your from tc and i envy you greatly.what a great area to hang your hat.we make it up at least every labor day weekend to enjoy some great golf,and fun in the sun at the "shores east bay"".love the 50 steamed shrimp at the bayshore market.that place rocks!anyway...we want to come up sledding in the area and were wondering ,is ranch rudolf,or econo lodge about the best places to stay to sled from or are there some less known spots that work well."go beach bums"(those games are a riot!) dan

·
Registered
409 Posts
joe! awesome weather insight!sometimes i think im the only weather goo roo out there when my wife has to monitor my weather channel viewing so its good to see others on that bandwagon.like i tell her "everything in life depends on the weather babe".i see your from tc and i envy you greatly.what a great area to hang your hat.we make it up at least every labor day weekend to enjoy some great golf,and fun in the sun at the "shores east bay"".love the 50 steamed shrimp at the bayshore market.that place rocks!anyway...we want to come up sledding in the area and were wondering ,is ranch rudolf,or econo lodge about the best places to stay to sled from or are there some less known spots that work well."go beach bums"(those games are a riot!) dan[/b]

Thanks Joe! Welcome to hcs. let it snow....

·
Registered
223 Posts
thanks joe for forcastin....I am in wolverine, Mi and am on hardcore quite often if you ever need an update from that area let me know.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
yeah thanks Joe.

I just put my new 1.75" track on today, along with a few other goodies that Santa brought me this year for x-mas. Now it's time for some of that magic white gold..........

Yes, I mean real snow, not the other kind of "snow"

1 - 13 of 13 Posts