Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is not a rant but,
Why did they make the snopro firecats so soft? The valving was the same as my 2002 ZR500 LE, but they left the Clickers off.
I found with the 2002 500 with the clickers I could at least slow the valving down for rough riding and turn it back for pleasure.
Now I just spent $800 Canadian on the 20% upgrade and clickers all way around. When I paid for the sled this spring all the adds said "Snopro Suspension". I must admit that the suspension is better then the
standard firecat but it was not what I had expected at all.
I define "SNOPRO Suspension" as: radical track (you got that), "TOP" of the line shocks, tuned to a very aggressive riding style, with clickers and possibly a crosslink rear suspension.
The only reason I saying this is because I have a total of 3 (spring edition) Limited Edition Cats (and just sold one other) in the shop and this is the only one with out "dial adjust" and or "Clicker shocks".
I would never say a bad thing about the sled I love it! NOW, that I redid the suspension.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
I AGREE!! PUT THE REAL SNO PRO 440 SHOCKS ON!! I WAS VERY DISSAPOINTED WITH SUSPENSION ON MY f5 SNOPRO!!

WE WANT STIFFER!!! AND REAR CROSSLINK!

·
Registered
852 Posts
there must be a reason they keep them soft - people been saying this for years about the le's

·
Registered
245 Posts
I weigh 200 lbs and think this ride is better suited to a 125lb WOMAN who is just trail cruising :huh: I cant beleive that they package this up as a SNOPRO PACKAGE and give it to us with a STRAIGHT FACE. Well, "Give it to us " is the right saying for sure :unsure:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's just that I had to spend so much money to make it simular to last years LE

·
Premium Member
2,846 Posts
Its funny you guys are making these statements. I weigh at least 275lbs and my brother is the same. We both are aggressive trail riders, now I'm not launching 50' or anything, but consider myself to treat the suspension pretty rough. We both have Sno Pro sleds. We both are still using the #1 setting on the spring blocks without a problem. I don't know if a few of you got bad shocks or what, but I for one am happy with the SP suspension, seems perfectly calibrated for me. I was also, nervous before I got it and was going to order the heavier kit for it, but decided to ride it first, glad I did, otherwise I would have wasted my money. I think that your all reading too much into what weight riders these sleds were calibrated for.

Oh one more thing, my brother has a Sno Pro and its way too stiff for everyday trail riding, so let's be careful of what you ask for. I can see it now, Cat will offer a true SP suspension on a consumer sled and everyone will be bitching that its too stiff... LMAO!

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
The people who dont want the stiff suspension whould just buy the standard suspension. When they call the sled "snopro" it should really be a snopro 440 body with an f5 ,f6, or f7 engine dropped into it.

I find the suspension good on my f7 snopro but i wish it was stiffer when im jumping like 100 feet i need a good suspension.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by Jay@Feb 3 2003, 07:03 PM
Its funny you guys are making these statements. I weigh at least 275lbs and my brother is the same. We both are aggressive trail riders, now I'm not launching 50' or anything, but consider myself to treat the suspension pretty rough. We both have Sno Pro sleds. We both are still using the #1 setting on the spring blocks without a problem. I don't know if a few of you got bad shocks or what, but I for one am happy with the SP suspension, seems perfectly calibrated for me. I was also, nervous before I got it and was going to order the heavier kit for it, but decided to ride it first, glad I did, otherwise I would have wasted my money. I think that your all reading too much into what weight riders these sleds were calibrated for.

Oh one more thing, my brother has a Sno Pro and its way too stiff for everyday trail riding, so let's be careful of what you ask for. I can see it now, Cat will offer a true SP suspension on a consumer sled and everyone will be bitching that its too stiff... LMAO!
Funny? Did you read me wrong? "SNOPRO"!!! Do you Know what a snopro is? Have you riden one? I have! and this is no snopro!!! GGGRRRRRR. Sorry got a bit carried away there :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2,846 Posts
Originally posted by Snowblind@Feb 3 2003, 10:01 PM
Funny? Did you read me wrong? "SNOPRO"!!! Do you Know what a snopro is? Have you riden one? I have! and this is no snopro!!! GGGRRRRRR. Sorry got a bit carried away there :rolleyes:
Yeah, funny. No I didn't read you wrong. Did you comprehend what I wrote??? Go back and read it a few more times so it sinks in! :angry: :angry: :angry:

YES I HAVE RIDDEN A SNO PRO!!!! :angry:

I also agree that this is not a "true" SP calibration, but to say that it is soft is assinine.

You should understand what I wrote and what the meaning was before you come back here and start flaming people.

I think that your the clueless one here :blink: :wacko:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok I'm sorry, I did not realize that you have riden a "Factory" Snopro race sled.
All I'm saying is when a company puts advertising out there saying "Snopro" (a word discribing of a "factory" 440cc Liquid or Fan race sled by the way) they should also advertise that it does not come with factory race sled options. They did not even advertise what the options were, it took quite a while to find out what the sled came with. I did not even know what type of shocks were on it till I got the sled In November, like it was some big secret. I even remember a few mags stating it had Crosslink and clickers.
The term snopro has always been used with factory 440cc race sleds, which are not sold to the general public. They are sold to Factory racers only (supose to be anyway)
When I paid $9300.00 for my sled in March, I was under the impression that I was going to get a race ready sled with a dependable 500cc motor in it.
I did not say you"re "clueless", and my ZR500 LE, ZR600LE, ZR440LE (the first "snopro") have a better suspension's then my snopro F5, was the jest of my first post.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
I agree the SP suspension bullshit we got was a joke. Way to soft. I am very dissapointed with it. I was expecting the real snopro suspension or one that was just as or almost stiff as the real Snopro, not this joke we got. Sorry but Thats how I feel

·
Registered
889 Posts
With all that said,I've done every thing I can to soften this thing up!
Probably cuz' I only weigh 165lbs. It has bottomed out once ,due to some serious altitude,but other wise is wearing me out on ruff, washboard tralis.
965 miles and very little trouble.
I do wonder why they don't have the oil warning light stay on all the time ,as it turns on after about 20 miles ,or 2 oz. below full. Pretty stupid.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Originally posted by Snowblind@Feb 4 2003, 08:57 PM
Ok I'm sorry, I did not realize that you have riden a "Factory" Snopro race sled.
All I'm saying is when a company puts advertising out there saying "Snopro" (a word discribing of a "factory" 440cc Liquid or Fan race sled by the way) they should also advertise that it does not come with factory race sled options. They did not even advertise what the options were, it took quite a while to find out what the sled came with. I did not even know what type of shocks were on it till I got the sled In November, like it was some big secret. I even remember a few mags stating it had Crosslink and clickers.
The term snopro has always been used with factory 440cc race sleds, which are not sold to the general public. They are sold to Factory racers only (supose to be anyway)
When I paid $9300.00 for my sled in March, I was under the impression that I was going to get a race ready sled with a dependable 500cc motor in it.
I did not say you"re "clueless", and my ZR500 LE, ZR600LE, ZR440LE (the first "snopro") have a better suspension's then my snopro F5, was the jest of my first post.
The word Snopro is all about marketing as is Pro X, and Blair Morgan Special. I hate to dissapoint you guys but you will NEVER get a race ready factory Snopro suspension on a consumer model. 99% of the people would be up in arms about how harsh it is, look how much heat Cat took in 98 when they did have a pretty stout suspension. A consumer sled is a consumer sled, if you want a race suspension you need to get it through the race program and even then the racers stiffen it up. Reality is we have people trail riding Firecats at 30 mph.

·
Registered
132 Posts
It would be simple; just built us a true cross country snopro w/the 500 or 600 motor. One a guy could race in the I-500 .... that type of setup and market it as that, then let the want a bees soft it up if they want to... clear tank, beefier skid compenants, bigger bearings and stronger shafts , cut all the glamerous bull and make it what it is. The market would buy the heck out of it.. Only problem they might last to long ,Right..........

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I am 195 lbs. I ride moderately hard. I have the F7 SP. I find the suspension to be just to my liking. It is very smooth in the moguls and reacts well on jumps. So I for one like it just the way it is. I suppose for every 10 people there would be 10 different opinions.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Well for the people who ride f-cats at 30miles down the trail they can get the standard suspension. People who want a stiff suspension want a good suspension that is going to be stiff! Like look how many people who ordered the snopro package got there shocks revavled and even bought new springs or that heavy rider package, I am sure thye were not too happy after spending the extra cash to get the snopro suspension and then have to spend even more money to get it stiffer... Maybe They should offer clicker shocks...so you can make it soft or stiff...But if they offered a true Snopro suspension I am posetive it would see really well and people who complain about it being too stiff should have got the standard version. Sorry that was soo long.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Yeah, I've owned two Sno Pro 440's and just LOVED the suspention; that's why I bought the Sno Pro F7 only to notice that it's a poser Sno Pro, by way of comparison. There's just nothing like the TRUE Sno Pro. I just put the heavy rider kit on tonight and will test all week as I am on a 9 day vacation to the UP. I'll post on what I think. I may eventually revalve and re-spring to TRUE Sno Pro specs. Cat should have been a bit more clear on the information on the Sno Pro; but, from what I remember, even they did not know what the Sno Pro was to eventually be, in terms of the shocks and springs. Par for the course.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by ryan001@Feb 6 2003, 10:27 PM
Well for the people who ride f-cats at 30miles down the trail they can get the standard suspension. People who want a stiff suspension want a good suspension that is going to be stiff! Like look how many people who ordered the snopro package got there shocks revavled and even bought new springs or that heavy rider package, I am sure thye were not too happy after spending the extra cash to get the snopro suspension and then have to spend even more money to get it stiffer... Maybe They should offer clicker shocks...so you can make it soft or stiff...But if they offered a true Snopro suspension I am posetive it would see really well and people who complain about it being too stiff should have got the standard version. Sorry that was soo long.
Thanks for the post, You said it! if I had the clickers I would not Have started this post in the first place. I swear by them. I have them on My Le sleds and it is so nice to dail them up to #8 and take a hard trail at speed, And then go ditch banging with them set at #1 for a nice cushy ride.
As for the 20% upgrade i put it on and like it. but The clickers are still going on in a few weeks. I'm only putting then on for the adjustablility.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I don't know guys.. I have a 2001 Sno Pro 440 and a F7 SP. I remember reading before ordering that the F7 SP would be calibrated between the Sno Pro 440s and the ZRs. For the vast majority of people, the 440 suspension is simply way too stiff. There is a group of people out there that do want that, but I think that they would be a small portion of the total. Arctic Cat is simply playing to demand. Look at the Pro X line from Polaris. They get bashed up and down for being way too stiff in the magazines.. Catering to the minority is not the way to go, giving them options to upgrade with kits (20 % stiffer) makes more sense. I do agree however, that calling them F7 Sno Pros is bogus though. My F7 and Sno Pros are 2 very very very different machines.. Maybe calling it the F7 L.E. as in past years would have been more appropriate.

·
Registered
772 Posts
im ONCE AGAIN dissapointed with the rear ski..i will say its slightly better then my ZR CC last year...and my 98 ZR LE ..but...it bottoms out...esspecially the center shock at will.....standing up on the sled and moguls dont mix..even landing flat little 1-2 foot jumps it just collapses...the stiffest setting should be the the low setting for the "sno pro version" and then it should got stiffer from there....now i gotta spend 300 dollars to rebuild and valve them stiffer..yippee

1 - 20 of 22 Posts