Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well im starting to search for a new sled next year, and thinking about a 2004-2006 AC sno-pro with a F7 efi motor.... however to be honest i dont know much about them, i want a sled i can beat on and it will stand up to the beating as well as a trail friendly sled, ( some days ride in excess of 250k) ... soo i have a couple questions

-I have heard the riding position is more rider forward is this true?
-What size track ( width and lugs) are the sno pros?
-What gearing would work best for the F7 efi?
-What type of cooling do the overhauled sleds run and is it effective?
-Does the SP have a sway-bar some pics look like it doesnt?
-Could i run a speedwerx single or twins and still clear steering arm?
-What size tanks can i get and what milage do i expect from such tank?
-How is the cross-link rear skid?
-How would this sled compare to a F7 SP, per performance?

Thanks, looks to be a great sled.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Well im starting to search for a new sled next year, and thinking about a 2004-2006 AC sno-pro with a F7 efi motor.... however to be honest i dont know much about them, i want a sled i can beat on and it will stand up to the beating as well as a trail friendly sled, ( some days ride in excess of 250k) ... soo i have a couple questions

Yes, it is. Prime example is if you look at the steering post. The post comes out of the hood where the gauge pod would go on a normal firecat. Alot of people who have ridden a firecat, then ride a SP will like the feel of the SP much better. The rider forward and the taller seat is much more natural.

The SP tracks are typically 13.5" WIDE

-Could i run a speedwerx single or twins and still clear steering arm?
-How is the cross-link rear skid?
Thanks, looks to be a great sled.[/b]

·
Registered
650 Posts
^ Not sure what happened there, so I'll try again...

I am by no means an expert on these, but I can try to answer some of your questions. If I am wrong on something, somebody can feel free to correct me.

Yes, it is. Prime example is if you look at the steering post. The post comes out of the hood where the gauge pod would go on a normal firecat. Alot of people who have ridden a firecat, then ride a SP will like the feel of the SP much better. The rider forward and the taller seat is much more natural.

The SP tracks are typically 13.5" wide and run a 1.7" lug height. The 04's had a 2.52 pitch, whereas the 05-07 run a 3.00 pitch attack-20 track.

It seems nobody really has an answer for this. The SP's use a Borg Warner gear/chain. Basically this amounts to expensive parts and limited gearing possibilities. I think the general consensus agree that something around 23/39 or so is ideal, but you can only get to 21/39 using Borg Warner stuff. If you want more options, you'll need the driveshaft and jackshaft from a Firecat.

You have to run some sort of aftermarket cooling system, as the stock SP will not cut it. Personally, I have a complete cooling setup from a F7 on mine. It requires cutting the tunnel to fit, but it supposedly works. I haven't gotten to ride mine yet. You could probably run u-coolers under the tunnel if you wished; I never looked into that option.

I know mine has one. I believe they came with them...but alot of people remove them if it better suites their riding style. I could be wrong though...

Alot of people now are running Composite Creations Trail Tanks; they are 9.7 gallons but if you get the optional kit, will allow you to fit your EFI fuel pump in the tank. They also require cutting of the seat to fit right.

Personally, I think they are the sled Cat should have built. They have plenty of power with the 700cc motor in it, but will stand up to about anything. Some people think the SP is just a little beefier version of the F7, but it is in fact a whole nother animal. The whole reason I got a 440/700 was to have a sled that will take a beating, but still run with my buddies on the lakes/trails.

·
Registered
7,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^ Not sure what happened there, so I'll try again...

I am by no means an expert on these, but I can try to answer some of your questions. If I am wrong on something, somebody can feel free to correct me.

The SP tracks are typically 13.5" wide and run a 1.7" lug height. The 04's had a 2.52 pitch, whereas the 05-07 run a 3.00 pitch attack-20 track.

It seems nobody really has an answer for this. The SP's use a Borg Warner gear/chain. Basically this amounts to expensive parts and limited gearing possibilities. I think the general consensus agree that something around 23/39 or so is ideal, but you can only get to 21/39 using Borg Warner stuff. If you want more options, you'll need the driveshaft and jackshaft from a Firecat.

You have to run some sort of aftermarket cooling system, as the stock SP will not cut it. Personally, I have a complete cooling setup from a F7 on mine. It requires cutting the tunnel to fit, but it supposedly works. I haven't gotten to ride mine yet. You could probably run u-coolers under the tunnel if you wished; I never looked into that option.

I know mine has one. I believe they came with them...but alot of people remove them if it better suites their riding style. I could be wrong though...

Alot of people now are running Composite Creations Trail Tanks; they are 9.7 gallons but if you get the optional kit, will allow you to fit your EFI fuel pump in the tank. They also require cutting of the seat to fit right.

Personally, I think they are the sled Cat should have built. They have plenty of power with the 700cc motor in it, but will stand up to about anything. Some people think the SP is just a little beefier version of the F7, but it is in fact a whole nother animal. The whole reason I got a 440/700 was to have a sled that will take a beating, but still run with my buddies on the lakes/trails.[/b]
Perfect, thanks for your help ive read about the Borg Warner gears and i agree with you i think id go with a firecat shaft then the gearing possibilities are alot better, im running 22/38 on my SRX right now so anywhere under that area is where id prefer, if i get a snopro i really want that 0-95mph pull more so then top end.... also the track is a 128" i presume correct? I think im gonna investigate the cooling more also, if i measure the pitch im almost wondering if i can make a set from a SRX fit as they go under the running boards which is nice as it keeps the coolers away from the studs and whatnot, ill investigate the cooling a bit more..

How do you like yours so far with the 700?, by the sounds of it its the exact sled im looking for in the future, basically stuck between the SP 700, or a 2006 Apex RTX, or a 2008 Nytro Rtx.... really liking the snopro so far tho

·
Registered
650 Posts
How do you like yours so far with the 700?, by the sounds of it its the exact sled im looking for in the future, basically stuck between the SP 700, or a 2006 Apex RTX, or a 2008 Nytro Rtx.... really liking the snopro so far tho[/b]
I honestly do not know yet. I did not have time to build it, so I found a fellow here on the forum that built it for me. I picked it up just before Christmas. I probably have a total of 2 minutes seat-time on it. It is a nice upgrade though. I was riding a mildly-modded 98 ZR 600 before, and even with the short seat-time, it already makes my ZR feel like a damn tank!!

The 2.52 pitch track is a 128"...which I in reality is something like 128.52". The 3.00 pitch tracks are 129"...either way, a 128" track fits them.

·
Banned
1,459 Posts
I have driven 04-06 snopro's and quite honestly, for trail riding, they are way too much. If you're going to be ditch banging and jumping the sled alot, then a snopro is definitely the way to go. If you're mostly doing alot of aggressive trail riding, you may not like the 440 chassis. I have an F7 Snopro that I have stiffened up the chassis. It's almost as stiff at the 440 but still rideable. I'm 220lbs and ride pretty hard and haven't had any problems with mine so far. I can launch it 80 feet and still trail ride it when i want. I was going to buy a 440 this year and put my 700 into it but my sled works awesome for the kind of riding I do. I stiffened up my suspension this year by revalving my shocks and putting on stiffer rear springs and it really seemed to make a huge difference. You might want to try a 440 before you buy/build one...

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
After you ride one of the 2004 and newer SP chassis--you'll never ride a firecat again!! The rider position on the SP's is so much better and more comfortable, it's hard to believe Cat never built this sled as a consumer model. I will agree though, the rear suspension on them could stand to be softened up a little bit-nothing a rebuild/revalve couldn't fix though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts