Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Snowmobilers warned to stay off ice
Tue Jan 8 2008

MANITOBA snowmobilers are advised to keep off river and lake ice until conditions change after this weekend's balmy weather.

"I don't plan on snowmobiling on ice anytime soon," said Duncan Stokes, executive director of Snoman.

Near-record high temperatures for Jan. 6, combined with freezing rain on Saturday night and a recent lack of snow, have created unpredictable conditions throughout the province.

The recent death of a 15 year-old boy in a snowmobiling-related incident in Ontario hammered home the need for common sense.

Stokes said many trails in southern Manitoba are frozen on top but not on the bottom, making ice brittle and potentially hazardous.

The website www.snoman.mb.ca updates all official trails in the province, including in provincial parks.

At The Forks, teams are working to ensure the river skating trail between The Forks and Osborne Street can open at the weekend.

================================================================================
================================================================================

Well if I stay off the ice I've got nowhere no ride virtually :(

I've never seen open water like this year in Pinawa LDB Seven sisters it's unreal.

I notice no mention of Hydro's hand in this. They've got the spillway going at Seven Sisters and the river north of there has no ice period as far as the eye can see. Which would mean the Point, Slave they must all be spilling.

What about the staked parts I assume once the ice is staked it's pretty safe am I being niave ?

Anyhow just thought I'd pass it on.

Ice = WOT I guess :)

·
Registered
757 Posts
WOT and a belt in good condition!!!!!!

·
Registered
7,348 Posts
Snowmobilers warned to stay off ice
Tue Jan 8 2008
MANITOBA snowmobilers are advised to keep off river and lake ice until conditions change after this weekend's balmy weather.

"I don't plan on snowmobiling on ice anytime soon," said Duncan Stokes, executive director of Snoman.

Near-record high temperatures for Jan. 6, combined with freezing rain on Saturday night and a recent lack of snow, have created unpredictable conditions throughout the province.

The recent death of a 15 year-old boy in a snowmobiling-related incident in Ontario hammered home the need for common sense.

Stokes said many trails in southern Manitoba are frozen on top but not on the bottom, making ice brittle and potentially hazardous.

The website www.snoman.mb.ca updates all official trails in the province, including in provincial parks.

At The Forks, teams are working to ensure the river skating trail between The Forks and Osborne Street can open at the weekend.
Well if I stay off the ice I've got nowhere no ride virtually :(

I've never seen open water like this year in Pinawa LDB Seven sisters it's unreal.

I notice no mention of Hydro's hand in this. They've got the spillway going at Seven Sisters and the river north of there has no ice period as far as the eye can see. Which would mean the Point, Slave they must all be spilling.
What about the staked parts I assume once the ice is staked it's pretty safe am I being niave ?

Anyhow just thought I'd pass it on.

Ice = WOT I guess :)[/b]
Also Pine Falls' Dam is open. The water on the low side is wide open. My uncle says they're trying to drain a lit of water out of the lake.

·
Registered
924 Posts
No ice problems up here, of course our balmy weather was -12. We've got at least 2 feet, likely quite a bit more. As far as blaming hydro, if the water's coming, it's coming. It will either go through the dam and spillway, or over the dam and spillway. We get that all the time up here, as well as fluctuating ice level, deep slush on shore when they are ponding, and fast forming ice ridges. Only thing you can really blame hydro for is fluctuating levels. Last summer I went down to the dock at the cabin in the morning, and the water was 4 feet behind the back of the boat. Big log to pry the front end around then push it back into the water. And it's not a light boat, either.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not trying to blame Hydro only pointing out that when they open the spillways or it overflows the spillways it increases currents effecting the ice. Maybe sleddeers should be warned of that is all.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I think they are just trying to cover their asses by saying not to go on any water. I know for a fact that lake wpg is safe. Been riding on it for a month already. Obviously some of the swamps and anything connected to the wpg river system probably isn't very safe. ANywhere there is potentially moving water, stay away from it!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just to let people know, ALL of the hydro plants on the Wpg. River are utilizing their spillways due the increased amount of water compared to last year. The flows are about 2-3 times that of last year. As far as the fluctuations go, hydro can only raise or lower the water level by 0.30 of a meter in any 24 hr period in the winter. This is measured at the powerhouse.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Just to let people know, ALL of the hydro plants on the Wpg. River are utilizing their spillways due the increased amount of water compared to last year. The flows are about 2-3 times that of last year. As far as the fluctuations go, hydro can only raise or lower the water level by 0.30 of a meter in any 24 hr period in the winter. This is measured at the powerhouse.

Nice logical common sense explanation............Thank you !

·
Registered
924 Posts
Just to let people know, ALL of the hydro plants on the Wpg. River are utilizing their spillways due the increased amount of water compared to last year. The flows are about 2-3 times that of last year. As far as the fluctuations go, hydro can only raise or lower the water level by 0.30 of a meter in any 24 hr period in the winter. This is measured at the powerhouse.[/b]
Well, they're only SUPPOSED to change the water level by a foot ever 24 hours.....

·
Registered
534 Posts
0.3 of a meter is pretty much a foot if im not wrong but i wouldnt be the first time !

1 - 10 of 10 Posts