Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone could positively say there is enough snow up on Rte. 108 to get a few miles in? I know this has always been a grey area in terms of legality, so I wrote to ask Alexis Norwalk over at VAST, and this was her response:

Hi Chris,

This is a gray area - a lot of snowmobilers use this road in the winter and legally there is really nothing stopping someone unless Law Enforcement wanted to get picky and write a ticket if you didnt have a valid snowmobile registration, TMA and liability insurance. If you have all of the mentioned, you should be fine. So have some fun for me, would you? Have you heard how much snow is on the notch?

Think Snow,

Alexis

Had the week off and wondering if it would be worth the trip? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
212 Posts
So you can ride on the State highways in Vermont if you have a valid registration, insurance and a TMA ???[/b]
I think you are missing the word "CLOSED" in your statement....

The problem right now is that ski season has started and the place to park is in the North most smuggs lot and ride from there...
Can't really do it during the day and smuggs is open right now....

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I think you are missing the word "CLOSED" in your statement....

The problem right now is that ski season has started and the place to park is in the North most smuggs lot and ride from there...
Can't really do it during the day and smuggs is open right now....[/b]
Exactly, plus a lot of people walk and hike that trail during the day so if you do go "be carful" or they will close it to snowmobiling. There are some nice steep blind hair pin turns......

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Ive ridden there several times. There is a snowmobile tour run out of Smugglers Notch ski area that uses that road at night.
Ive always parked at Smuggs, and rode to the trail. You might be able to park on 108 at night by the jersey barriors. Ive seen plenty of others parked their for recreational purposes. Just dont bring a 28' trailer :)

And BE CAREFULL. Ive still seen skiers and snowshoers late at night. And those Boulders and dropp offs offer no second chance.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the replies. Never made it the other day, but may have to keep it in mind for tomorrow? Until then, pray for more snow. Was encouraging to see some trailers on the highway today!

·
Registered
302 Posts
It was last year or maybe even 2 years ago but I do recall reading the state laws about riding on closed highways. As far as I remember It stated that it was legal to ride on all closed highways as long as you were registered with a TMA. I forget what the state speed limit for a snowmobile (maybe 50mph) but that was the only thing you really had to watch out for. However I live close to the notch and usually get to ride there the first time every year.... I know from experience to not even bother going durring the day.... only go at night... when the hikers, x-country skiers, sno-shoers...etc. are all off the trail... you will have a lot better time and no dirty looks.. :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've been to the Notch Rd. a few times already. A fun ride, plenty of snow and a good for new sleds that need break in miles. I've got 18 mi so far! a miracle in this freaking crap. Go at NIGHT but watch for late night hikers! TONS of people during the day.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.