Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is driving me nuts. My 06 700 EFI has died on me 3 out of the 4 last rides. Fuel pump would start whining, then Id shut the sled off, fire it back up and it would use whatever gas is this in the line then it would die. Smart valves collapsed. I would then reverse the wires into the fuel pump to run it backwards and push the air out of the line. Took them completly out once to clean them, they were filthy. Did it again tonight, I pulled the SV's out of the tank, tested the pump, tested ok. Ive got a fuel pressure gauge on it as well and its got 45 psi at idle which is in spec. I finally decided to just pull the rubber washers in the valves out, due to some research i did in here. My question is, did i make the right move? I know some guys were doing this on the 03's before the update. I just dont wanna get stranded again.

While Im at it, sled has a really nasty bog when crusing at about 15 mph then WFO. I know, its normal. Its never done it before the past couple rides or so. Speedwerx Pipe into stock can, 2.5* timing advance, i have taken the boondocker control box off to try and narrow things down as well as the D&D Y-Pipe. ANything to do with my smart valve problems? Took the sled out after i took the rubber washers out of the SV"s and still the same thing....

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

PS, i have tried the sled with the stock pipe/can. Same thing....

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
What octane gas are you running with that timing key?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Take the timing key out and put stock back in and run it, if it cleans it up for you, you have found problem, if not then I would say it has to be a fuel problem possibly or if not fuel could be electrical problem as in connections, unplug, clean all wire connectors put some di electric grease on connector plugs and re plug everything back in and try the sled again. Do one connection at a time so you do mix up what goes where.

·
Premium Member
3,411 Posts
screw those smart valves! you did right by gutting them.
my buddies 03 would lean out and die right after start up about every third time he'd start it since it was new.
we pulled the washers out of the smart valves...no more problem.

5 years, 5 trips to the dealer. finally fixed!

those things cause a multitude of weird problems.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Does anyone have an actual picture of the gutted vs stock smart valves?
I'd like to know what to look for when it leaves me someday.

Would there be any harm in just using a standard plastic in-line filter prior tp the pump and just a piece of hose laying in the bottom of the tank?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Can someone explain the procedure to gut smart valves and how you get at them to do so? I have an 03 F7 and an early build 04 F6. If there is a potential problem I can avoid I'm all for it. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,411 Posts
pull the fuel pump, with the pick-up and smart valves attached to it. take a small screwdriver or knife blade and pry the base off of the smart valves off (at the bottom where the screen is).
remove the little gray rubber washer in each one, and snap the base back on.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
no need to pull the fuel pump, at least not on a '03....

drain the fuel and reach in and pull them out the filler neck, pop the uneccesary parts out and drop them back in the tank.

·
Premium Member
3,411 Posts
on my 03 the one closest to the fuel pump was on to short of a piece of hose to come out without pulling the pump out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts