Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was riding today about 70mph and it was like someone hit the kill switch. So the first thing I do is check the smart valve it is collapsed it has a full tank of gas I took the line off the fuel rail and pulled just a little squirt and air I pulled the spark plugs to add a little fuel and both are white. so I tow it back to the car and try to start it it starts second pull. so I load it on the trailer and get it home and do a cropression test 147# on the pto side 117#on mag side so then I pull the exaust off and pisten is scored bad. I buddies sled the smart valve collapesed on him also a couple of days ago we never tried to get it running again do to warm temps. Then it hit me I pulled his exaust off the same thing scored mag piston and white plugs. Just wondering if this sounds like anything the people whos sleds have burned down have exeperanced. I am not really mad about it But hope that I may have found the reason for some of the burn downs. So for all of you who have had smartvalve problems and then a burn down please post. maybe it's not just a coincedence. P.S I am not whining just want everyone to think about this no fuel = lean condition= burn down. This is just my thery SO maybe it's not the ecu it the dumb valve making a lean condition. I think this has been a learning experaince good thing it's coverd under warranty. Thanks For reading G-P

·
Registered
819 Posts
Hey, my dads sled did the same thing two nights ago. He was riding down the trail and all of a sudden it died he thought he hit the kill switch. But he didn't! So he stopped and let it cool down then started it up again and the motor made some really bad noise. We towed it out to the road took it home(it was at night so we couldn't go to the dealer). We took it up to the dealer the next morning dropped it off they got on the phone with AC right then and we left! Went back up today and found out the bad news. The right piston is scored on the exhaust side. Definately bad enough to need a new cylinder and piston. Good thing its warranty work though. They are also sending my ecu to AC to get it reprogrammed. What octane gas are you running? My service guy said not to run high octane gas in the F7 just use unleaded. This is what may be causing the pistons to melt. But we run 87 or 89 octane in ours and it still did it.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I run half 87 octane and half 89 octane and always have the ethonal switch on so it runs a little richer. I know the reason for mine is the smart valve colapsed and the same with my buddies like I said before no fuel = lean= burn down good luck with yours this has helped me think about somthing other than the ecu having a lean spot because I don't think it does I think it's that stupid smart valve.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have had all the updates done. even the smartvalves. It just seems kindof odd that smartvalve was colapsed no fuel at the rail and burnt down . My buddies smartvalve was colapsed pulled the exaust off and burnt down coincdense perhaps. But just something to think about

·
Registered
819 Posts
Originally posted by green-patriot@Feb 2 2003, 01:09 PM
this has helped me think about somthing other than the ecu having a lean spot because I don't think it does I think it's that stupid smart valve.
We have had problems with the smartvalve too. When I took it up for the smartvalve update when it first stopped running(dealer didn't have the update so they didn't put it in before I took it). Since they didn't have one and it would be a few days before they would have one they engineered the original one to work. This one worked fine and had no problems with it. Then I took it up for the update. Ran fine for a day after that but then it acted like there was no fuel. The said the valve was partially collapsed and fixed that thinking that was the problem but it wasn't. The sled spent a week and a half up there so they could try to figure out why it wouldn't run. The reengineered the updated smartvalve to work. Didn't ride it very long after that and the piston melted. Now that its up there they are getting another smart valve for it! Hopefully the problems will be solved. I didn't know that you could use normal gas and flick the switch to ethanol? Does it hurt anything?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Haha
its funny you guys metion it because mine did the same thing, so i brought it in and they changed two pistons and a cylinder

they also metionned the smart valves in the gaz tank but im not to sure what was the cause

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
that is such a cheap part compared to replacing motors, if this was the cause would'nt cat be working night and day to correct a 30 cent plastic part instead of rebuilding motors?
jusy my thoughts!

·
Registered
534 Posts
not to sound dumb,but what is the smart valve? is it involved with the fuel system or is it a powervalve on the cylinder?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by dave cat 7@Feb 2 2003, 06:00 PM
that is such a cheap part compared to replacing motors, if this was the cause would'nt cat be working night and day to correct a 30 cent plastic part instead of rebuilding motors?
jusy my thoughts!
I am not saying this is the main reason But just somthing to look at Hopfullay it is a smartvalve problem that they have just over looked because it is so simple it wouldn't be the first time I have done it. And enginers think different than we do My dad is an enginer and he makes everything twice as hard as it is. To him nothing is that simple. But hopfuly cat is reading this and maybe they can take a look if they haven't already. I just really wanted to know about how many people had smartvalve problems and then a burn down. I know of 2 for sure. Thanks For reading G-P

·
Registered
82 Posts
Rob, I know this post should probably be in the litterbox but since it is here I want to know what you think. When I spoke to Arctic Cat they seemed pretty confident that the seizures they know about are from overheating coolant wise and then magnified on units with what did gls call it low side production fuel tolerance. They said the units that still run well but have more than normal scoring on the exhaust side have gotten hot coolant wise. What do you think about any seizures being smart valve related. I ask because we have had two failures and are unable to determine definitive reason for the failure.
Steve

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have had it happened twice (like someone hit the kill switch lights went dead ,sled died) once before the smart valve update running WOT across a bean field and died but started right back up ,about 3 days later got the call to bring it in for smart valve and others.Then yesterday mourning coming off a high speed run across the lake doing about 50mph 1/4 throttle then died speedo lights went dead but before I came to a stop it started back up like a push start.Mine still runs strong but I know it can't be healthy for engine. I have been running in ethanol mode and 87 octane gas.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts