Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MY F7 HAS A WHINING NOISE IN GAS TANK WHEN IDLING AND STALLS WHEN YOU TRY TO ACCELERATE.MY DEALER SAID HE HAS DONE SMART VALVE UPGRADE. WENT TO PICK IT UP AT DEALER AND IT WAS STILL WHINING AND STALLING. THE PROBLEM STARTED AFTER RIDING WITH VERY LOW GAS. DOES ANY ONE HAVE IDEA? iS THE FUEL PUMP IN THE GAS TANK?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Originally posted by EJD@Mar 6 2003, 08:19 PM
MY F7 HAS A WHINING NOISE IN GAS TANK WHEN IDLING AND STALLS WHEN YOU TRY TO ACCELERATE.MY DEALER SAID HE HAS DONE SMART VALVE UPGRADE. WENT TO PICK IT UP AT DEALER AND IT WAS STILL WHINING AND STALLING. THE PROBLEM STARTED AFTER RIDING WITH VERY LOW GAS. DOES ANY ONE HAVE IDEA? iS THE FUEL PUMP IN THE GAS TANK?
Make sure the new smart vavle is installed so that it rests FLAT on the bottom of the tank. It is very easy for the dealer to install it so it sits crooked and it will draw in air making that whining noise. You have to stick your hand in the tank to check.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
When the "smart" valve colapses it will start to winne, I had same thing happen yesterday and mine had collapsed. I pulled the rear smart valve up out of the tank seperated it into 2 pieces and removed the little white disk, After that it ran great.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I also had the exact same problem. Pulled the smart valves out of the tank and both were stuck closed. Worked them up and down to free them up and it then ran fine. Whine is because the pump is pulling hard and almost no fuel coming in, cavitating. Brought it in to the dealer the next week and he did the update, installing the "vented" rear valve. Problem hasn't returned yet.

·
Registered
199 Posts
smartvalve purpose: these smart valves where installed for a couple of reasons and no one has talked about it yet, there main perpose was to stop air from getting into the fuel system,if the front one would suck shut ,it would pull fuel through the back one , and vise versa .The second main reason is,if the sled were to flip over, it would also aid in shutting off the fuel supply to the motor. Now, ac comes out with a new vented smart valve, well they also were getting sucked shut,so after seeing a couple of these come back in with whinning pumps and stuck smart valves we would disassemble the smart valve and drill two holes in the rear diapharm (little white disc inside smart valve)and two holes in the front smart valve diapharm. With both valves vented they will not get stuck shut,but make sure you drill the same size holes in both valves across from each other and make sure the other hole in open also some were known to have been blocked ... good luck no proplems with f6 yet???

·
Registered
40 Posts
The question is, what does the front valve do? . All the problems are associated with the rear valve. If the rear one is stuck, why doesn't it suck from the front one. "Cat's" update replaces the rear valve, but doesn't do anything with the front valve. Does any fuel pass through that valve at all, or is it just extra weight?. :wacko:

·
Registered
199 Posts
yes, the front valve pulls fuel through it also, but when the back on sucks shut that causes the front one to pull twice as much fuel through it...then that will get stuck also,to prevent this; vent both smart valves. now AC was also claming that some of the screens on the smart valves had a flim on them that would prevent the fuel from flowing through it and that would also cause the valve to close.I would also say to clean the screens on both valves with air and /or a cleaning solution...

·
Registered
199 Posts
Jamie , you don't want to remove the white disc, you just want to drill two holes in it ,both the front one and the back one this will prevent them from getting stuck shut drill the holes in the 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock postion.... so far I haven't seen any get stuck closed after I've done this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does anyone know how I can tell if my dealer really installed the updated smart valves? I see the following marks on the rear smart valve on my machine: Walbro MP-11 2921.

I am now on my second F7, the first one was totalled in a car accident early Feb with 500 miles. I rode it another 400 miles while waiting for the insurance company to replace my sled ( the tunnel was major tweaked and ripped plus more ). I did not have any problems with my first F7.

The real mechanic at my dealer was on vacation when I picked up my second sled and the joe jr. mechanic did a very poor job of setting the sled up. Good thing I do all my own wrenching and I am a past oval and drag racer. I have had the smart valves on my new F7 stick several times now. Supposedly they have been updated but I question if they really have been.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
funny how the old 99 fuelies had vented valves and you were told not to premix and now they are having problems. Guess they are not very smart fuel pickups.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts