Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a bushing/supposed to be a bushing, where the narrow part of the steering post goes into #19? My steering has a lot of play in it and you can see the post moving around in that bracket.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can see where it goes from the stud to the shaft(narrow to thick) that it rests on top of the black bracket. I'm talking where the stud goes through that bracket to the very bottom(where the nut and washer are).
Anybody know if there should be something there? Mine when the machine is sitting in snow you can turn the handlebars about 2 inches either way before you actually turn and there is also some slop forwards and back(like if you grab both bars and just push forward it can move) :unsure:

·
Premium Member
7,417 Posts
ok if I am reading this correct the bottom of the steering post moves correct. If so there is a nut on the bottom of the post that has been known to become loose. Yoc an see it from underneath between the track and the belly pan . Make sure this is tight or you will have some serious probs. If this fixes most of the problem tighten both nuts #9 just so they are snug

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
So it looks like there is no kind of replaceable bushing or anything at the bottom of the steering post in that area. Mine is a bit sloppy there too, but even MORE so at the right steering post which doesn't get any lube because the grease spews out in two or three badly welded places instead. -- Roy

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Check further down where the steering post comes thru the belly pan. Mine was missing the bushings down there. Made a huge difference in the amount of slop in the steering.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by GF7PE@Feb 28 2003, 05:54 AM
ok if I am reading this correct the bottom of the steering post moves correct.  If so there is a nut on the bottom of the post that has been known to become loose.  Yoc an see it from underneath between the track and the belly pan .  Make sure this is tight or you will have some serious probs.  If this fixes most of the problem tighten both nuts #9 just so they are snug
You mean the nut for that post is up inside the tunnel?? If you simply tip the sled on its side will you be able to see it, or do you have to pop the bottom off to get at it?

If it's inside the tunnel in between the front of the track and the heat exchanger the engineer should be shot :wacko: :wacko:

As for the front to back play, it's a result of that bottom part, the top bracket/clamp(with #9's) is tight. That's what made me wonder if there is a bushing on the bottom

1 - 8 of 8 Posts