Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<div align="left">SledFest 2008 Poker Run

January 26th, 2007. Door open at 9am first sleds leaving around 10:30-11am

Hosted by the Colden TrailRiders Snowmobile Club.

Colden Lakes and Resort
9504 Heath Road
Colden, New York 14033

All are welcome. Registration is $30.00
Please be sure to have proof of valid registration and proof of insurance with you or you cant ride.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sledfest is Saturday, January 26th
The Colden Trail Riders and the Edge present Sledfest 2008 on Saturday, January 26th at Colden Lakes Resort! This year's Snowmobile poker run proceeds benefit The Variety Club of WNY. It’s a great cause and a great time. Who would of thought you could help out sick children and snowmobile at the same time?

Registration is $30 and will begin (day of) at 10am. Everyone who registers will receive choice of an official Sledfest 08 long sleeve T-shirt or Sledfest 08 hat(while supplies last). Registration also includes dinner courtesy of Colden Lakes Resort, a great ride through southern Erie county and a chance at some great prizes.

Our top prize this year is a Triton Double trailer with a salt shield courtesy of Hebelers Sales and Service in Pendleton.Value $1,425. We also will be giving away a bunch of snowmobile gear like suits, jackets, helmets and more courtesy of Bert’s Motorsports, Bob Weaver Motorsports, Bucks Motorsports and Don George’s Sports Center.

Check back for updates on parking and don’t forget to bring your license, registration and proof of insurance.

Think snow!

-Shredd

Colden Lakes Resort is 9504 Heath Rd, Colden, NY 14033. Phone: (716) 941-5530

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is there a "no snow" date?[/b]

No snow Date is February 9th, 2008

As of right now we had 11-12 inches of new snow. The warm up Thursday is only to be 38 degrees, colder temps into next week. We intend to pack tonight. The slight warmup shouldnt hurt us. This is good qulaity snow that is nice and packable.

Hope to run the event as planned.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
No snow Date is February 9th, 2008

As of right now we had 11-12 inches of new snow. The warm up Thursday is only to be 38 degrees, colder temps into next week. We intend to pack tonight. The slight warmup shouldnt hurt us. This is good qulaity snow that is nice and packable.

Hope to run the event as planned.[/b]
Its too bad we couldnt have gotten the ground froze before this snow... The waterholes are plenty right now unfortunatly too i would think, but those should freeze this weekend...hopefully we get to measure the lake effect in feet....

·
Registered
911 Posts
BTW, there will be donation barrels for non-perishable food to be donated to the Foodbank of WNY from the Colden Trail Blazers and the WNY Coalition of Snowmobile Clubs. Please bring a can or two to donate to this worthy cause!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its too bad we couldnt have gotten the ground froze before this snow... The waterholes are plenty right now unfortunatly too i would think, but those should freeze this weekend...hopefully we get to measure the lake effect in feet....[/b]

Your right about the water holes. We ran the groomer from Colden Lakes eastward, completed to the end of the golfcourse and truned back. If the ground doesnt freeze, it will be like it was last year. Lots of water . But a lot can happen in 9 days.

The trail section we are concerned with is to the Fireside. Remember the big wter hole as you come down the hill. The water was 2-1/2 feet deep. Also the trail is rutted from equipment. Last year the guys were out from 5 am filling the rutts in by hand with shovels to get the trail rideable there.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Your right about the water holes. We ran the groomer from Colden Lakes eastward, completed to the end of the golfcourse and truned back. If the ground doesnt freeze, it will be like it was last year. Lots of water . But a lot can happen in 9 days.

The trail section we are concerned with is to the Fireside. Remember the big wter hole as you come down the hill. The water was 2-1/2 feet deep. Also the trail is rutted from equipment. Last year the guys were out from 5 am filling the rutts in by hand with shovels to get the trail rideable there.[/b]
Oh ya, I remember last year. We were the first out and lucky for us. On the way back from the Fireside a couple of other groups had gone through and the trail was toast. Too bad the poker run has that overlap in that area. Maybe you changed it for this year? That section of trail it totally brutal, it will need lots of snow in that section.

Hope the event raises lots of money for the club and the charity, always a good time.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh ya, I remember last year. We were the first out and lucky for us. On the way back from the Fireside a couple of other groups had gone through and the trail was toast. Too bad the poker run has that overlap in that area. Maybe you changed it for this year? That section of trail it totally brutal, it will need lots of snow in that section.

Hope the event raises lots of money for the club and the charity, always a good time.[/b]

Last year we donated $4800.00 to variety club. We had 110 riders approximately. The date was actually pushed back one week. Last year we ran on the no snow date. This year we tried the last week of January and the second week of February becuase of the Super Bowl.

Hope it goes off without too much of a hitch. Hope to see ya there. I willbe a header or healer for one of the groups. I ride a Green Crossfire 7.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Last year we donated $4800.00 to variety club. We had 110 riders approximately. The date was actually pushed back one week. Last year we ran on the no snow date. This year we tried the last week of January and the second week of February becuase of the Super Bowl.

Hope it goes off without too much of a hitch. Hope to see ya there. I willbe a header or healer for one of the groups. I ride a Green Crossfire 7.[/b]

is this Shredd and/or Ragan?

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
from what i remember, you'll be rockin-n-rollin' all day long on those trails. they get whooped fast and are not much to begin with. i'm suprised they have changed locations yet. they could spread the idea around and save some backs at the same time. still a decent time though.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Hey Man,

Nope. My name is Mike Wojtaszek, I am with the Colden TrailRiders, and a member of the Board of Directors for the club.[/b]

ahhh, oh well i tried. i thought that (for some odd reason) you were shredd trying to promote the event a bit more. oh well. either way, i should be there provided we have snow. i will be trailering from Elma and dropping off at my friend's house on Cole Rd. near Bender's place.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ahhh, oh well i tried. i thought that (for some odd reason) you were shredd trying to promote the event a bit more. oh well. either way, i should be there provided we have snow. i will be trailering from Elma and dropping off at my friend's house on Cole Rd. near Bender's place.[/b]

Well youll see the reroute at the creek. You wont have to get your skis wet anymore. Just watch the turn into the woods after the bridge we built over the drainage ditch.

Enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
from what i remember, you'll be rockin-n-rollin' all day long on those trails. they get whooped fast and are not much to begin with. i'm suprised they have changed locations yet. they could spread the idea around and save some backs at the same time. still a decent time though.[/b]

Yes, last year the trails got "whooped fast". But I will ignore the "are not much to begin with" comment. Last year we had little snow, and it was freezing rain most of the morning till about mid day. This year we moved the event back one week and pushed the no snow date back 2 weeks. We need the weather to co-operate. Rember the big snow we had the week after SledFest 2007 we then had 45 days of great riding.

The event has not changed lcoations becuase the Colden,NY area still receives the highest snow totals for the county. The club works very hard with Shredd to organize the event, volunteers work days before for signage and trail repair to make the event go safely. Judy at the Colden Lakes provides a great place to host the event and a good meal afterwards. Not sure where we could move it that could host the event or would want to that has sufficent snow.

If we have enough snow we have 4 pieces of grooming equipment that will be out to help maintain the trails. Last year we had some equipment out but with little snow and all the rain it was pretty much in vain. This year we will be out siging the trails the few nights before and also looking at those ruts agian, like last year we will probably have to fill them in by hand if we dont have enough base.

Thanks for coming out. We enjoy hosting this event each year and we want everyone to have more then a decent time.

Mike W.
Colden TrailRiders

aka wnyXfire7

·
Registered
827 Posts
Yes, last year the trails got "whooped fast". But I will ignore the "are not much to begin with" comment. Last year we had little snow, and it was freezing rain most of the morning till about mid day. This year we moved the event back one week and pushed the no snow date back 2 weeks. We need the weather to co-operate. Rember the big snow we had the week after SledFest 2007 we then had 45 days of great riding.

The event has not changed lcoations becuase the Colden,NY area still receives the highest snow totals for the county. The club works very hard with Shredd to organize the event, volunteers work days before for signage and trail repair to make the event go safely. Judy at the Colden Lakes provides a great place to host the event and a good meal afterwards. Not sure where we could move it that could host the event or would want to that has sufficent snow.

If we have enough snow we have 4 pieces of grooming equipment that will be out to help maintain the trails. Last year we had some equipment out but with little snow and all the rain it was pretty much in vain. This year we will be out siging the trails the few nights before and also looking at those ruts agian, like last year we will probably have to fill them in by hand if we dont have enough base.

Thanks for coming out. We enjoy hosting this event each year and we want everyone to have more then a decent time.

Mike W.
Colden TrailRiders

aka wnyXfire7[/b]
Don't worry about mr green--he never has anything good to say about snowmobiling-- ie the trails/clubs or anyone --good luck with your event hope you have a good showing !! JJZ

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
now that's not true....ok, whatever. i just thought that maybe someplace like byrncliff could be an idea. yes, it's out of the county but it's probably just as far for many as colden. and do we really care about a few extra miles if the trails are better? byrncliff has more room and MUCH more parking.i know shredd rides outta byrncliff as i've run into him a couple times. maybe to just mix it up a little? nothing against judy, she's cool as hell and they have awesome food. just a thought.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Years ago the Colden area was rated as a top destination in New York state if you liked to ride in big powder, believe it or not. This was reported in one of the major snow magazines. If there is going to be good snow anywhere this side of Tughill its going to be in Colden. Not so much lately but throughout the years Colden does get big snow while others get less. Therefore the odds just seem better in this area.

SLEDFEST 2008 January 26 Colden Lakes

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
now that's not true....ok, whatever. i just thought that maybe someplace like byrncliff could be an idea. yes, it's out of the county but it's probably just as far for many as colden. and do we really care about a few extra miles if the trails are better? byrncliff has more room and MUCH more parking.i know shredd rides outta byrncliff as i've run into him a couple times. maybe to just mix it up a little? nothing against judy, she's cool as hell and they have awesome food. just a thought.[/b]
I totally understand. I didnt think you were knocking the event. Just knocked our trails a bit. But its okayI wont hold it against you. I like the input ...

I think SledFest has just remianed here becuase our Club started the event. And with Shredds help we have made the event a big yearly thing.

As for mixing things up. John Hewson VP Colden TrailRiders and our board had discussed changing the stops. Some places are not receptive to it, or uncertian how things will benefit them. We can see what we can do for next year round. This year we had talked about differant stops and routes. But too late to get it worked out.

See you out there .... Weather looks favorable.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts