Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Guys:

Please use this thread for answers to question on sledding and the law in Ontario.

I have included some valuable posts from "odot1". These are the personal opinions of an OPP Save Officer only, and should not be considered official policy.

Thanks.

RR.

Comment on Speeding under the MSVA and confirmation that the HTA DOES NOT APPLY to Sleds:

Ok...one last time..please!!! Motorized Snow Vehicle Act (MSVA) is a provincial offence act SEPERATE from the the Highway Traffic Act (HTA). The MSV dictates your speed limit on a highway while on a sled. There are NO demerit point provisions with this act. Think of it this way...the Liquor Licence Act (LLA)is also a provincial offence act. When you are ticketed under the LLA for drinking in public it does not appear on your licence.... When you are ticketed under the MSVA it does not appear on your licence abstract... The fine for speeding on a sled is under the MSVA and is a set $110. Your sled is not subject to being towed under the new laws, nor is your licence subject to suspension under the new laws. The only way your insurance company would find out is #1 you tell them or #2 someone else tells them. You would have to check with your insurance company to see how they treat MSVA tickets thet HEAR about.....[/b]

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Some General Comments on how things are handled:

LOL...that would be AWESOME!!! Not sure how the boss would feel.... Now back to the fuss...

1. I love sledding, thats why I joined the SAVE team...my father was a sled cop as well...family tradition.
2. The rules are the rules....I don't like all of them either....but I still have to obey them.
3. The act is Provincial which allows for discretion..BOTH WAYS....
4. You are nice, I am nice..we are both nice together....
5. Every sled stopped is checked for alcohol...regardless of whether or not I ask you about drinking...the odour is very strong in the cold....
6. Every sled stopped and paperworked verified generally means that sled is not stolen....if my toy was stolen, I would want/expect the police to look for it....
7. Yep, there are more serious offences being committed elsewhere...thats why we have homicide detective.... There are also stolen sleds, drunken riders, people dying etc on the trails....thats why we have sled cops.... In Canada, more peole will die (needlessly so)on the trails then will be murdered...
8. On a lake...but not on the marked trail....no speed limits...just know where you are going and watch out for pressure cracks.
9. Sure, I might be at a RADAR intercept at 3pm on a nice sunny day...doesn't mean you will get a ticket...unless you "ask" for it...BUT..I also get paged out a 3am to find a lost sledder or help recover a body that has gone through the ice.
10. I also do marine and ATV...and again...I get paged out to recover bodies on those as well....I can guarantee that I see more dead bodies then 99% of the detectives in Canada...
11. Drinking on the sled?? Same as drinking in the car.... If you are over, lose your licence for 90 days plus what ever happens in court.
12. The 50 over law DOES NOT APPLY.
13. The 50 over law DOES NOT APPLY.
14. Sled tickets DO NOT APPEAR ON YOUR drivers licence.
15. Where is my team Nutter decal?!?

Sean...

P.S. Why are you bashing me? I am here to help....I don't bash you when a sledder takes off on me....[/b]

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
For the record, no Police Detachment notifies insurance companies about tickets, insurance companies do their own due diligence by running MVR's on their policy holders. Some do it every year, some every 3, it all depends on the comp. If you get a ticket under the MSVA, it should not show on your abstract as that is related to HTA, therefore short of you telling them, the insurance company would have no way of knowing about the ticket.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Information on how/where to find the entire MSVA:

You are looking at the MSVA as a whole.... As time goes by the Gov't introduces new laws generally grouped into new regulations... such as Reg. 804. Start here.... http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/navigation?fil...wse&lang=en (you are now browsing current/consolidated laws), click "m" which will take you here http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/Browse?queryTe...;lang=en#result then click on the "+" beside "motorized snowvehicle act" which takes you here http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/Browse?queryTe...utes_90m44_e#49 now choose which part of the act you want to look at....

EDIT: When a law is removed you will see the section number with "repealed" and the date beside it..... The law will no longer be there...[/b]

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Comment on requiring proof of Insurance:

Right here!!!

Taken from the Motorized Snow Vehicle Act (MSVA)

Production of evidence of insurance
(2) The driver of a motorized snow vehicle who drives or permits the driving of the motorized snow vehicle shall, upon the request of a police officer or conservation officer, produce evidence that the vehicle is insured under a motor vehicle liability policy in accordance with the Insurance Act. 2000, c. 30, s. 6 (1).
Display of evidence of permit
(8) Every driver of a motorized snow vehicle shall display evidence of the issue or validation of the permit on the motorized snow vehicle in the form and manner prescribed by the regulations. 2000, c. 30, s. 2 (2).

You require PROOF or EVIDENCE of insurance and registration.... I have accepted photo copies.... If the officer at the side of the trail demands the originals, politely request some time to produce it for him/her.... Proof of insurance has always been that pink slip that the companies mail to you in bulk!!

Heres a good link for future reference.... http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/Browse?queryTe...utes_90m44_e#49

Ok quick edit.....I should point out that with the insurance slip....You do NEED TO CARRY THE ORIGINAL......it will be up to the officer to decide whether or not a copy will suffice...[/b]

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Comments on deliberate water crossing:

Well...I was going to stay out of this topic as it is de-generating quickly.... First... There are laws in place that could cover off water skipping..... the first one that comes to mind, careless snowmobiling...countless environmental laws if the sled sinks.... Charges for this activity are very few and far between.... I personally have not charged anyone (yet) for this nor have I witnessed any one else laying a charge. I find it interesting that several claim that they heard someone was charged, but honestly...who on this board has actually been charged while doing this? Or witnessed a charge being laid...by witness...you actually saw the ticket. I saw it mentioned that this gives the sport a black eye... to be honest, I think it does do a dis-service to the sledding community which has been historically known for environmental awareness and high level of trail etiquette. With private land use become scarcer and scarcer stuff like this does not help. I have attended these funtions in a work capacity and observed a connection between the event and the consumption of alcohol. Injuries are common...as was mentioned it wasn't all that long ago that a wake boarder towed by sled slammed into a bridge...yes, he died very painfully and messy, It occurred at Lobourgh Lake during skipping event. Remember, these are MY opinions, not an official police position of any sort......just remember any illegal activity can bring charges.....[/b]

·
Registered
8,016 Posts
Good thread.

Thanks Sean. You are definately an asset to this board.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
:cop: does the 50km over law apply to sleds? :uzi:

:dohdoh:

x6

EDIT: odot1,

I have put my ontario number plates on my sled... or attempted to. while putting one on the MAG side of the sled it peeled off with the protective sheet... so I dont have one on that side.. I was more careful on the PTO side which is the side most will see.

do you think anyone would give me a problem with not having the other one? I dont know if I can even get a replacement???

·
Registered
1 Posts
Information provided below.
[/quote roxy5581]
I need some info if anyone can help. On the weekend a bunch of us sitting discussing our trip this year, and the hot topic was the opp and licences. Our bud in 2006 licence was suspended for a year. This year licence was reinstated with device in car. What I am asking is can our friend get the MSVA or are they ok with thier licence with the (I) symbol on it. Or should our friend wait another year before sledding again.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Killer. Yes you can get replacement numbers. Go see the guy or dealership that made your 1st set. Clean your sled area where the #'s are to be applied so they will stick properly. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Roxy5581., Your buddy lost his license due too an impaired charge. He is not legal to drive any motorized vehicle without the device installed. Tell him to wait a year .

·
Registered
65 Posts
First of all I would like to thank you odot1 for taking the time to give us educated answers to our legality questions!
I am new to snowmobiling this year and my question is where am I legal to drive the sled? Let me give you one of my common situations. I mostly plan on using the sled at the cottage which is close to Bayfield On. To get to the trail I drive up my dirt road which leads to hwy#21 (bluewater highway along Lake Huron) I drive up the shoulder of hwy #21 for a half mile and turn onto the back road which is a gravel road. Following that road a few miles until it hooks up with the trail. Mostly I drive along the field edges that already have tracks going along them and then along a section of the road that is not maintained in the winter. Now that I am on the trail system I follow that into Bayfield where it ends at the big park off the main hwy #21. Can I continue into town to park the sled in a safer location? I have friends that own a local pub and they have no problem with me parking behind the bar. There is usually a nice snow covered way to get into town along the road. I am insured, stickered and have a permit. So basically my main questions are can I ride along the shoulder of a highway and can I ride into a smaller town? When do I know when it is not acceptable to drive into an unknown town?

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Actully ODOT, I would also like to hear what the actual law or ruling is on the breathalyzer device on your vehicle. I have a good friend whom I play hockey with who had lost his licence for the year, and then was reinstated, however on the basis the device was installed in his car.

He does no longer own a car, only rides a motorcycle and uses public transit in the winter. All summer he rode his bike without being stopped, however was saying if he was stopped, he was under the understanding there was not breathalyzer device available that he was aware of equipped for motorcycles, and since this is his only vehicle, what would the ruling be?

I thought it raised a very good topic of discussion. IMO, if the law states you are required to have the device, then the device should be made available for whatever your mode of transportation you choose, and not discriminate those who only ride motorcycles and don't own cars.

Any idea how this would pan out?

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Killer. Yes you can get replacement numbers. Go see the guy or dealership that made your 1st set. Clean your sled area where the #'s are to be applied so they will stick properly. Hope this helps.[/b]
they aren't custom numbers.. its the MTO issued plate stickers

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Actully ODOT, I would also like to hear what the actual law or ruling is on the breathalyzer device on your vehicle. I have a good friend whom I play hockey with who had lost his licence for the year, and then was reinstated, however on the basis the device was installed in his car.

He does no longer own a car, only rides a motorcycle and uses public transit in the winter. All summer he rode his bike without being stopped, however was saying if he was stopped, he was under the understanding there was not breathalyzer device available that he was aware of equipped for motorcycles, and since this is his only vehicle, what would the ruling be?

I thought it raised a very good topic of discussion. IMO, if the law states you are required to have the device, then the device should be made available for whatever your mode of transportation you choose, and not discriminate those who only ride motorcycles and don't own cars.

Any idea how this would pan out?[/b]
Ok....I will have to research this more before I give a definitive answer...however MY understanding is that any vehicle being driven by the holder of the licence with the interlock condition must have the device installed. Motorcycles are classified as a motor vehicles under the HTA thus it stands to reason that a device is required. But this is on a highway...obviously sleds and ATV's are different and NOT generally driven on a highway... For example..an ATV on a trail does NOT require a licence...when you enter a roadway then you do...a sled on a trail or highway (when I say highway, I mean roads in general) requires a licence... There are interlock devices made for these applications, but I don't think they are available in Canada. Let me check with others on this issue to find a stariaght answer, if one exisits!!

Sean

1 - 20 of 92 Posts