Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy just bought an '03 Trail Touring (550 fan). We went through the sled and did all of the normal maintenance before he rode it, including a good, thorough cleaning of the carbs. In putting everything back together, I'm thinking I didn't get the choke cables set/adjusted correctly because his sled is using LOTS of gas. We both topped off at the beginning of the day, and at the first fillup, I took a little over 5 gallons ('02 500 XCSP), and he used over 8. Same story on the next stop.

Looking for the proper procedure for ensuring that the chokes are fully disengaged when the flipper lever is off, and any other tips you guys might have to increase his full economy. I'm also positive that the carbs (34mm round Mikuni) are setup with the stock factory jets and needle/clip settings.

·
Registered
12,705 Posts
All I have ever done is set the cables so there is a very small amount of play at the carb end. Pull back the little rubber cover at the end of the cable and wiggle the cable up and down. You should see / feel a little bit on movement.

How do the plugs look?

Check out this link for good instructions on cleaning carbs.
Disassembly and Cleaning of a Mikuni Round slide Carburetor

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx for the info. I'm going to adjust them tomorrow night. I'll pull the plugs then and take a look at them.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Last year in my 2003 Trail Touring ( before my engine siezed for the 2nd time in 1000 miles) I was getting 12 miles per gal. This year, after the 2nd rebuild by the same dealer, I'm only getting 8 mpg. I'm guessing they're trying to keep things cool by using the extra fuel, but my plugs foul out quick. My 2003 AC Pantera 800 get a consistant 12mpg. IMO the Polaris motor is just crap!

·
Registered
12,705 Posts
Let me guess, the motor seized while you were driving at part throttle, maybe 40-50 MPH?
Now you dealer has richened up the motor, (after the second time) probably put bigger main jets in when he should have only richened the mid range. I don’t think it’s a new sled you need, just a new mechanic.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yup! That's pretty much how it went. Now my top speed is barely 55 mph. The mains are 029's, that's what the manual shows. The sled rides and handles really nice, I just wish it had a different motor (EFI, water cooled). Next time I ride hopefully I'll make it to a different dealer for adjustments.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts