Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was rideing the sled all was good no problems and then out of no where it wouldn't rev past 6k then i could barely keep it running i turned it off to see what the deal was and now it would start.I pulled the plugs and i see a little spark,pulled the throttle bodies and there is fuel.What could this be i changed plugs still nothing.

Any one have any info???????????

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I pulled the plugs again and brought both piston to the top to check if i blew a hole in them but they are fine on problem i could see is there is absoletly no carbon the look like new out of the package.Clean as a whistle

·
Registered
79 Posts
Either your stator is fried or the the steering shaft wore through the throttle positioning sensor wire..... Just a guess.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I would pull the heads before you asume the pistons are fine.It sounds exactly like when mine burnt.Good spark plenty of fuel but the plugs were drie.Hole on edge of piston burnt under the rings and would not pull the fuel into the chamber.Plus it only takes like 15 min and the heads are off.

DUGG

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok i cleaned the plugs due to i can find anywhere open due to the holidays, and it started right up but runs like shit sounds like it's running on one cyclinder and won't rev past 6k.

I'm gonna get new plugs tomorrow and see if thats fixes it

·
Registered
452 Posts
I have a similiar situation that just started Saturday with my '98 ZR600 EFI. When it gets to 8000rpm it is like a flat spot. It just kind of dogs; doesn't kick into the powerband like it used to. I think I smelled gas when it does this. I changed the plugs and it fixed it for a bit but then started doing it again. When I went to park it I let it roll to a stop and it died, which is something it's never done in the 2 years I've owned it. Think we have the same problem?

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I dunno i can't even get mine to pull to 8k anymore it just goes to 6k and breaks up real bad and sounds like it's running on 1 cyclinder

·
Registered
452 Posts
Mine is the same it just happens at 2k higher. I'm thinking it's the stator.

Rob

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Either your stator is fried or the the steering shaft wore through the throttle positioning sensor wire..... Just a guess.[/b]
TPS is a good one. Damn thing rubs on the steering shaft and can go out of spec....as soon as it goes out of spec, the damn sled runs like shit.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Can you get the stator out without pulling the engine? I have a flywheel puller. Are there any other special tools I need?

Rob

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Can u just fix the tps sensor wire and all is good or do i have to take it to a shop?

Like if i fixed the wire will it go back to the right calibration?

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Can u just fix the tps sensor wire and all is good or do i have to take it to a shop?

Like if i fixed the wire will it go back to the right calibration?[/b]

Yes, if the wire is worn, simply fix it and it'll be fine.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok i looked over everywhere i could see not sure which one is the tps wire but i look at all the wires i could see i even had the airbox off, an didn't see any wires worn or broke.

Also put brand new plugs in and i still have the same problem, it sounds like it is running on 1 cyclinder and won't rev past 6k and it breaks up the whole time

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
The TPS is on the right side throttle body...same side as the pull cord. It is a tight fit next to the steering shaft. Sometimes engine twist causes it to hit the steering shaft, then causing it to get moved and go out of spec. It is REAL sensitive to movement....don't move it yourself!!!!!!

The wires that go to that could be the problem. Also, I forget right now how to, but have you unbolted the ECU and looked under it at the light to see if there is a code?

Someone on here can tell you how to do it....I haven't done it for a couple years...I forget!

·
Registered
79 Posts
The TPS is on the right side throttle body...same side as the pull cord. It is a tight fit next to the steering shaft. Sometimes engine twist causes it to hit the steering shaft, then causing it to get moved and go out of spec. It is REAL sensitive to movement....don't move it yourself!!!!!!

The wires that go to that could be the problem. Also, I forget right now how to, but have you unbolted the ECU and looked under it at the light to see if there is a code?

Someone on here can tell you how to do it....I haven't done it for a couple years...I forget![/b]
I took my tps off to repair wires because there wasn't enough room to unplug. Hope I didn't screw anything up. It ran good for a 40 mile ride yesterday.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK Update

Went for about an eigth mile cruise down the road and back so i could look over the new plugs 1 plug is dead lean it's white and the other is dark brown like fouled
So i did a compression check and bad news both cyclinders are at 85psi

Can anyone tell me what would cause both cylinders to be so low?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts