Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
had that mag for about 3 weeks now kurt.... :frech11: good heads up though :div20:

·
Registered
6,518 Posts
Originally posted by born to ride@Oct 16 2005, 01:55 PM
the 2003 Rx-1 should have never been sled of the year.imo :cn: But the apex is going to be a GREAT sled. :div20:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=933281
[/quote]

How was the 2003 RX-1 not worthy of Sled of the Year but the 2006 Apex is? The RX-1 was the first 4 stroke production snowmobile. Yamaha took a HUGE chance on putting 4 strokes in sleds. Sled of the year is based on technological advances. A brand new chassis with a the 1st 4 stroke motor made the RX-1 very worth IMO.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Exactly. One of the points that many people miss. They came out and said that the 03 RX had a ways to go. It got sled of the year because Yamaha proved that a four stroke could become competetive in the market. The apex is getting it this year because pretty much every publication has said that the gap between 2 stroke and 4 stroke performance is GONE.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
But you can never tell the 2 stroke people that a apex will be one of the fastes sleds on the lake. Only thing that it prob cant beat is the mach z and thats it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Speed is one thing but IMO the YAmaha's offer a whole lot more. Two extended trips last year with 8-10 sleds per group. One 4 stroke yami(warrior in group, lots of doos/polaris no cats.Both trips one sled had to have zero repairs....Guess which one?
Yami had to pull one doo out of the bush on one trip, on 2nd trip had to pull a polaris out a ways.....
Go figure..
New GT on the way and I still could not trade the warrior in,,,keeping it for friends relatives to drive..
cheers

·
Registered
445 Posts
dude if an apex beats a tcat setup for top speed running i'll lick your boots.not a sled setup for 660' either one setup for the lake.i like the sled don't get me wrong and i hope it works good.got a standing bet with a buddy if the apex is in 2-4 lenghts at the end of the season i will buy one new next year.might buy one anyway just for the fuel mileage.i wish it would snow.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Originally posted by born to ride@Oct 16 2005, 02:55 PM
the 2003 Rx-1 should have never been sled of the year.imo :cn: But the apex is going to be a GREAT sled. :div20:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=933281
[/quote]
Your right, back in 03, I was dumb founded to see they made the RX-1 sled of the year, it should have been the REV. They made the REV sled of the year in 04. Sometimes those guys need to take there beer goggles off. The REV changes the way sleds are built today, that's why it is called REVOLUTIONIZED snowmobiling. Now every manufactures has went to the rider forward design in some form or another. :beerchug:

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Originally posted by Rotax!@Oct 21 2005, 12:14 PM
Your right, back in 03, I was dumb founded to see they made the RX-1 sled of the year, it should have been the REV.  They made the REV sled of the year in 04.  Sometimes those guys need to take there beer goggles off.  The REV changes the way sleds are built today, that's why it is called REVOLUTIONIZED snowmobiling.  Now every manufactures has went to the rider forward design in some form or another. :beerchug:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=945500
[/quote]

Like I said earlier the 03 RX took something that people scoffed at for years (a 4 stroke) and made it a reality and competetive with 2 strokes. It still had a long way to go mind you and there was still a gap there but it showed it could be done. I think it got the award for revolutionary. I also agree that DOO revolutionized snowmobiling as well in 03 and it very well could be a toss up. I think most people just looked at a new body style and didn't realize at that point what had really happened. Remember a lot of people in 03 thought the rev terribly ugly and said it handled terrible. It did handle terrible until you got used to it and realized it was a totally different riding style. Snowgoer only gets prototype and pre-production sleds to test and even then for not very long. They probably got a bad first impression that got later changed. That's at least what I think happened. Either way I think it would be a toss up.

And cat has yet to go to a true rider forward (polaris is a little more relaxed than yamaha). The crossfire being the only "rider forward" isn't all that forward. I didn't care for the seating on it at all still felt too relaxed.

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
Originally posted by cbcatter@Oct 20 2005, 02:06 PM
dude if an apex beats a tcat setup for top speed running i'll lick your boots.not a sled setup for 660' either one setup for the lake.i like the sled don't get me wrong and i hope it works good.got a standing bet with a buddy if the apex is in 2-4 lenghts at the end of the season i will buy one new next year.might buy one anyway just for the fuel mileage.i wish it would snow.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=943293
[/quote]I will be surprised if my attak or any stock apex beats a well set up t cat to the end of a good sized lake,now if it is all stock t cat and has only been a so so kitty,than that is very doable,we had some t cats that were all stock back in 99 when i had a new 99xcr 800 and my buddy had the srx and both of us beat the t cat all the way up thru to top end and i dont think the apex will be any slower on top end than the srx or stock xcr8 jmo.

·
Registered
145 Posts
ok let me get this straight a couple runs across a lake is whate you call snow mobiling ! thats pethetic yamaha sleds are made for snowmobilers that put on hundred's of mile's in a day. that's why their the most dependable sled out there they know their customer's . go to canada and see what's out there doos and yamaha . doos are starting to lose out to yamaha there to .that tells you something . people there put thousands a mile's a year there . the lake racer is not the person to ask about a sled.

·
Registered
11,075 Posts
Originally posted by flyerrrs@Oct 25 2005, 06:59 AM
ok let me get this straight a couple runs across a lake is whate you call snow mobiling ! thats pethetic yamaha sleds are made for snowmobilers that put on hundred's of  mile's in a day. that's why their the most dependable sled out there they know their customer's . go to canada and see what's out there doos and yamaha . doos are starting to lose out to yamaha there to .that tells you something . people there put thousands a mile's a year there . the lake racer is not the person to ask about a sled.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=953629
[/quote]

Amen, good post. In my opinion, the Yamaha is the best "all around" package on the snow right now. :div20:

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Originally posted by flyerrrs@Oct 25 2005, 05:59 AM
ok let me get this straight a couple runs across a lake is whate you call snow mobiling ! thats pethetic yamaha sleds are made for snowmobilers that put on hundred's of  mile's in a day. that's why their the most dependable sled out there they know their customer's . go to canada and see what's out there doos and yamaha . doos are starting to lose out to yamaha there to .that tells you something . people there put thousands a mile's a year there . the lake racer is not the person to ask about a sled.
[/quote]

While I think the new Yamaha's will make great sleds for the type of riding people do up in Canada, I think they are way too expensive up there. Down here in the States Yamaha's are a pretty good deal but up there the Canadiens are getting ripped off. We might see a big jump in prices next year also since our dollar is taking such a huge dump lately!

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Originally posted by flyerrrs@Oct 25 2005, 05:59 AM
[/quote]

I ride Tug Hill, arguably the mogul capital of the east. I did just fine on my RX's, Doo's were the only thing that would blow by me (and then only from my group). With the way this new sled is (apex) that won't happen anymore.

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
I ride in Minocqua, WI. In years past, you would see mostly Cat and Polaris out on the trails, but thats changing.
There are many more Yamahas out on the trails lately (past 2 years), some new some not so new. That goes to show you who designs the best sled for the real world.
All I know is that I spent far less money and time keeping my Yamaha running than I did any of the Polaris sleds Ive ever owned.
Cap'n

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Originally posted by mnmsnowbeast@Oct 21 2005, 06:19 PM
I will be surprised if my attak or any stock apex beats a well set up t cat to the end of a good sized lake,now if it is all stock t cat and has only been a so so kitty,than that is very doable,we had some t cats that were all stock back in 99 when i had a new 99xcr 800 and my buddy had the srx and both of us beat the t cat all the way up thru to top end and i dont think the apex will be any slower on top end than the srx or stock xcr8 jmo.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=946218
[/quote]

When most people talk sleds.. they talk about sleds made within the last 2-3 years.. The THundercat is a super fast sled, but hasnt been made since what??2001?? Its old tech, not the new kid on the block by any means...

the apex should only be compared with the zr900 and fusion 900

The mach is still the fastest sled built this year

1 - 19 of 19 Posts