Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
MY21 650 SBA 146, ES, ICE Storm 1.5
6,120 Posts
MY21 Polaris 650 VR1.

Great choice, especially with the new 650 Patriot engine. I spent this winter on the LONG version, a MY21 650 Switchback Assault 146, with an ICE Storm track, and the power was just right. The fact that little had to be changed for MY22, and Snow Check sales are outstanding, (with many buyers coming from other brands) says a lot. Minor things like seat construction, some shock valving adjustments, upgrading of software on the 7S Digital Display (will also upgrade MY21). When the BIG complaints are inconsistent fuel gauge indications and criticism of the color options, this must be a pretty good snowmobile.

My 650 engine was tight for almost the first 500 miles of breakin, but the snow was slim and not a lot of opportunity to open it up. After that.... Woo Hoo. Keep up to most anybody on a trail, good fuel economy, starting, smooth, easy on 2 stroke injection oil. The 7SDD instrument gauge configuration and personalization was very nice. Being able to follow rides that I had recorded on a MY15 Polaris Adventure with PIDD GPS, uploaded to my new Matryx sled, was really convenient. I'm looking forward to direct downloading & uploading of rides on Wifi, as well as refreshing trail info and using satellite background OR topographic maps on this sled next season. Very few riders felt a need to play with stock MY21 clutching and not many changed chaincase ratios, unless they changed tracks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MY21 Polaris 650 VR1.

Great choice, especially with the new 650 Patriot engine. I spent this winter on the LONG version, a MY21 650 Switchback Assault 146, with an ICE Storm track, and the power was just right. The fact that little had to be changed for MY22, and Snow Check sales are outstanding, (with many buyers coming from other brands) says a lot. Minor things like seat construction, some shock valving adjustments, upgrading of software on the 7S Digital Display (will also upgrade MY21). When the BIG complaints are inconsistent fuel gauge indications and criticism of the color options, this must be a pretty good snowmobile.

My 650 engine was tight for almost the first 500 miles of breakin, but the snow was slim and not a lot of opportunity to open it up. After that.... Woo Hoo. Keep up to most anybody on a trail, good fuel economy, starting, smooth, easy on 2 stroke injection oil. The 7SDD instrument gauge configuration and personalization was very nice. Being able to follow rides that I had recorded on a MY15 Polaris Adventure with PIDD GPS, uploaded to my new Matryx sled, was really convenient. I'm looking forward to direct downloading & uploading of rides on Wifi, as well as refreshing trail info and using satellite background OR topographic maps on this sled next season. Very few riders felt a need to play with stock MY21 clutching and not many changed chaincase ratios, unless they changed tracks.
So I asked in another thread about gearing. I’ve ordered a ‘22 XCR 136”. I’m swapping in a 1.25” rip 2 track and my dealer wanted a 1.35 cobra to have so that’s what they specked my sled to come with. Are they all geared the same or does the 1.6 cobra come lower then the 1.35 or 1.25 ice attack ? Wondering this because my buddies are ruining XRS ski doo and first thing they doo during PDI is have taller gear installed and I wanna make sure I can run with them or preferably show them the tail light after the patriot comes out of breakin. The doo boys actually hit biggest speeds and trap times in break in, always down 1-2 mph after break in is done. From what I’ve seen the Polaris needs miles to wake up.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MY21 Polaris 650 VR1.

I’m on of those customers coming to Polaris form another brand. Had a tuned winder and the thing was an animal. Had the clutch tuned to perfection and it pulled like a freight train. I wanted something light that will eat the rough trails we get here later in the week, hence the XCR, that and I can not stand ski doo and whooping my buddies on their XRS and X is actually important. There are 4 new sleds in our core group of 4-5 riders. 3 doo and me switching to Polaris. The winder was top dog in the pack for 2 years want to keep that crown on the XCR

·
Registered
375 Posts
I have no knowledge of the tune in the 650. However it would seem to me that if it is as strong as it is through the mid range that everyone claims, Polaris must be pushing the 650 harder than they are with the 850. That being said, there have been a few reports where people feel the MY 22 850 is faster than previous 850's.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Honestly though, would you expect anything different from Pootrax?

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
So I asked in another thread about gearing. I’ve ordered a ‘22 XCR 136”. I’m swapping in a 1.25” rip 2 track and my dealer wanted a 1.35 cobra to have so that’s what they specked my sled to come with. Are they all geared the same or does the 1.6 cobra come lower then the 1.35 or 1.25 ice attack ? Wondering this because my buddies are ruining XRS ski doo and first thing they doo during PDI is have taller gear installed and I wanna make sure I can run with them or preferably show them the tail light after the patriot comes out of breakin. The doo boys actually hit biggest speeds and trap times in break in, always down 1-2 mph after break in is done. From what I’ve seen the Polaris needs miles to wake up.
No data on the 22. But the 21s with the 1.5 storm was geared lower than the 1.35 cobra and 1.25 ice ripper, those two tracks shared the same gearing. I believe it was 1.86 vs 1.80 gearing.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Let me save you the suspense. 2022 SoTY... Mach Z
Yep, you can bet on that, but only if they get a Mach in their demo fleet. It appears that only sleds that they have to ride qualify for SOTY. So, if they don't get a freebie- NO consideration .

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
It will be close between Mach z and xcr. RWSOY should I need reality should be neither because they are supposed to be the best sled for the majority, not a specialty sled. JMO.

·
Registered
VR1 850 129, VR1 650 129
1,548 Posts
I agree it should be a sled built for the masses not a sled built for a targeted group. I spent some time on a Lynx this winter and found the rear suspension to be absolutely awesome and very plush and bottomless, if only it would go around a corner and not feel like you’re straddling a 55 gallon drum it would be worthy of SOTY. What they did with the Lynx sure makes it far better looking than the ugly G4. If your into show boating wheelies and going fast in straight line over rough trail it might be for you.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I agree it should be a sled built for the masses not a sled built for a targeted group. I spent some time on a Lynx this winter and found the rear suspension to be absolutely awesome and very plush and bottomless, if only it would go around a corner and not feel like you’re straddling a 55 gallon drum it would be worthy of SOTY. What they did with the Lynx sure makes it far better looking than the ugly G4. If your into show boating wheelies and going fast in straight line over rough trail it might be for you.
I didn't think it cornered that bad and have heard from a few others who had more miles than me on that it actually corners very well once set up.

The Lesters said it handled/turns great, just differently. It certainly wouldn't be a good choice if the award was meant for the masses that's for sure.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I didn't think it cornered that bad and have heard from a few others who had more miles than me on that it actually corners very well once set up.

The Lesters said it handled/turns great, just differently. It certainly wouldn't be a good choice if the award was meant for the masses that's for sure.
got to use body english that’s why. Instead of sitting up straight and turning your head to turn. It isn’t an electric start and ride type of sled.

·
Registered
VR1 850 129, VR1 650 129
1,548 Posts
got to use body english that’s why. Instead of sitting up straight and turning your head to turn. It isn’t an electric start and ride type of sled.

It in no way corners anywhere near as well as my VR1’s not even close. Sure it may corner alright if you slow down and give it a chance to corner but high speed railings it does not do very well especially when you’re on the throttle I don’t care how much body English you use. And to top it off it has the uncomfortable G4 cockpit that I hate.

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
All the mags and online guys are all the same. If it's new it is SOTY. I would love to see them actually pick something that works vs. it just being the latest bling.

·
Registered
38 Posts
All the mags and online guys are all the same. If it's new it is SOTY. I would love to see them actually pick something that works vs. it just being the latest bling.
New models usually mean innovation and an improved rider experience, and by many real world experiences, the VR1 has found a sweet spot for rider enjoyment. I expect Skidoo's innovative smart shox might be the next big "bling" if they work as designed, and very well could make it the MY22 sled of the year. Polaris is creating nice advancements in rider experiences, now seriously pushing Skidoo for top of the line sleds, which truly gives the average rider more and better options. I think it is similar to what Indian is doing against Harley on motorcycles right now. Other than increased costs, it is a great time to be a diehard snowmobiler!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts