Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never noticed this last year, but just then i started my sled to smell the smoke LOL ( lack of snow) anyways i took the sled off its stand and it started moving on its own. I noticed its idleing around 1800rpm. Is this to high of an idle?? The only other thing that i done to my sled this year over last year was put and ODS clutch kit on and a new belt. I installed the kit the way it said to in the instructions. Anyways, if anyone got any ideas what my problem is let me know. Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,084 Posts
I never noticed this last year, but just then i started my sled to smell the smoke LOL ( lack of snow) anyways i took the sled off its stand and it started moving on its own. I noticed its idleing around 1800rpm. Is this to high of an idle?? The only other thing that i done to my sled this year over last year was put and ODS clutch kit on and a new belt. I installed the kit the way it said to in the instructions. Anyways, if anyone got any ideas what my problem is let me know. Thanks[/b]
Adjust your belt deflection..What yr. is it. The 06 had a reverse(left) thread.Use the tool from your tool box.Make sure that the belt is about 1/8 of inch below the top of the sheave.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Adjust your belt deflection..What yr. is it. The 06 had a reverse(left) thread.Use the tool from your tool box.Make sure that the belt is about 1/8 of inch below the top of the sheave.[/b]
It's supposed to be an 1/8" ABOVE the secondary.

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
alirght guyz, what is belt deflection and how do i adjust it?? also do 1800RPM at idle sound right to yee?? sorry for the newb questions but this is only my 2nd season owning a cat, thanks

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Moving on its own! I told you she was ready to go all the time! :)[/b]

LOL to bad I don't have the snow to use it LOL I think me and few buds might be making a trip over to your area in the comming weeks, so i might need a tour guide LOL

·
Registered
55 Posts
Belt is too tight, adjust your deflection as others have said. You will find the instructions in your owner's manual. The idle speed won't cause your track to turn, unless it is "idling" past your engagement RPM which is WAAAY higher than 1800.

Steve

·
Premium Member
3,084 Posts
alirght guyz, what is belt deflection and how do i adjust it?? also do 1800RPM at idle sound right to yee?? sorry for the newb questions but this is only my 2nd season owning a cat, thanks[/b]
Belt deflection is very critical for proper clutch performance.

If your deflection is too tight, the belt will burn on the clutch hub and you will lose top end.
If the belt is too loose, it will allow the primary clutch to upshift faster then the secondary clutch causing a low end bog and poor performance.
To check your belt deflection, you will need a straight edge and a tape measure.

Normally you want your belt to stick out of the secondary clutch 1/16" - 1/8" if possible.

Lay a straight edge on the belt and measure the distance between the straight edge and the belt between the two clutches.

Lightly press down on the belt to remove any slack.

Most machines use a spec of 1 1/8" to 1 1/4" of belt deflection. If you measure less than 1 1/8", your belt is too tight.

If you measure more than 1 1/4" your belt is too loose.

This procedure should be shown in your owners or service manual.

Factory specs are: Polaris 1 1/4", Arctic Cat 1 1/8"-1 1/4"

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
haha. this reminds me of the time my friend put the spare belt on his sled that the previous owner had. turns out the thing was a good size or two too small and as soon as he started the sled it took off damn near 10 miles an hour. he dove on the seat and tried hitting the kill switch as fast as he could because the trees were only 100 feet away. i couldn't stand up i was laughing so hard.

and mine idles around 1800-2000

·
Premium Member
3,084 Posts
alirght guyz, what is belt deflection and how do i adjust it?? also do 1800RPM at idle sound right to yee?? sorry for the newb questions but this is only my 2nd season owning a cat, thanks[/b]

Belt deflection is an important adjustment. It establishes the effective length of the belt, and makes sure it is set to the optimum gear ratio.

To check belt deflection, you will need to slip the belt backwards a little to make sure that it is not pulled down into the secondary clutch. It should be as high in the clutch as it will rest.

The deflection is the amount of play that is in the top part of the belt between the clutches.

The way to measure and adjust this varies by brand and model

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
awesome thanks guyz, i looked up how to adjust belt deflection in my service manual and heres what it says

"To Correct drive belt deflection, washers can be removed or added between tha stationary and movable sheaves of the driven pully"

What the hell dothat mean??? LOL

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
awesome thanks guyz, i looked up how to adjust belt deflection in my service manual and heres what it says

"To Correct drive belt deflection, washers can be removed or added between tha stationary and movable sheaves of the driven pully"

What the hell dothat mean??? LOL[/b]
I believe it means you have to take a few screws outta the secondary clutch and then take a few washers out or put a few in between the two sheaves to make the belt sit higher/lower.

·
Registered
7,217 Posts
I believe it means you have to take a few screws outta the secondary clutch and then take a few washers out or put a few in between the two sheaves to make the belt sit higher/lower.[/b]
yep and if you dont have them your dealer will have them and it will be about a buck a washer(Thick,Medium and small)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.