Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

Please forgive me if this is a stupid question, but how hard is it for a novice mechanic to drop the rear skid so I can take take off the top idler wheels? Is it really as simple as just removing the two bolts on the side of the tunnel? Is there anything else I should do or watch out for?

I want to check the bearings on the upper wheels and if they are good I want to grease the bronze bushings to get rid of the squeeky rear suspension. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Guys,

Please forgive me if this is a stupid question, but how hard is it for a novice mechanic to drop the rear skid so I can take take off the top idler wheels? Is it really as simple as just removing the two bolts on the side of the tunnel? Is there anything else I should do or watch out for?

I want to check the bearings on the upper wheels and if they are good I want to grease the bronze bushings to get rid of the squeeky rear suspension. Thanks in advance.[/b]
It is really that easy. The only other thing you want to do is remove the plastic coupler blocks on the each side were they attach to the rails. The one's were the suspension springs run through. When you do this you may want an extra hand to take the load off of the spring before you pull the bolt out or it will go flying. do this step first before you remove the rear skid fame bolts. When you are finished make sure you reinstall the skid fram before reinstalling the spring mounts. If you don't you will never get the skid frame back in. Good luck, but it really isn't that hard.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
I just pulled my rear skid tonight to do some mainteance and was pleasantly surprised. Loosen track, relieve rear spring pressure(I just used a skinny long pry bar and removed the adjuster blocks and pulled the springs out from the little shafts that the adusters ride on so the spring was completely relieved of tension, matter of seconds to do this) and remove the 2 rear bolts and she is out!!! don't have to mess with the front 2 bolts with this design!! Very simple.. I also used my car engine cherry pickar too have the rear of the sled lifted up way high so I don't have any bending over to do while I work. I was also pleasantly surprised to see that my rear shocks are also in tip top shape after 3000+ miles of abuse and no need to rebuild at this time(I like to run the shocks til they blow if they blow!!)!! What a great sled.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
i have not pulled the skid yet on my F but the only tricky thing on my Firecat was that the rear bolts both go into a free spinning shaft so you have to leave one tight and pull both bolts out and lube them and then put both back in and slowly loosen them evenly

1 - 6 of 6 Posts