Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Rob, lay that baby over when you wanna turn in the powpow lol :) I have Simmons on my Summit and 6" wide C&A pros on my F7. Both work fine in the powder but on the trail I like the Simmons a lot better. Would like to try the Powder Pros too and see how they compare. Thanks for the test.

[edit] What was the weight compared to stock skis?

·
Registered
622 Posts
Great job on the eval!! I really wish you could have evaluated the C&A Pros. I put some race versions on my F7 Sno Pro and REALLY REALLY like the way it handles now. Excellent job once again Rob!

·
Registered
827 Posts
well done rob,what size carbides did you use,and were they the 60 or 90 degree,,

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by madmike@Jan 5 2003, 10:56 PM
well done rob,what size carbides did you use,and were they the 60 or 90 degree,,
I used the #35-123 6 1/4" x 60 degree carbides for both the SLTs and the Powder Pros.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Rob

So do you think that the Powder Pro are worth the money if most of your riding is on gromed trails with only a little bit of powder riding?

Bob

·
Registered
851 Posts
Rob, great report! Hey, you are right in line with the TEAM ARCTIC sno-cross racers w/ the SLP skis. I noticed at the
Winnepeg snocross race Tucker Hibbert, T.J. Gulla, and Kent Ipsen all had the SLP Powder Pros on there race sleds.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by Pantera01355@Jan 6 2003, 09:09 AM
Rob

So do you think that the Powder Pro are worth the money if most of your riding is on gromed trails with only a little bit of powder riding?

Bob
yes, I certainly feel the Powder Pros are worth the money. I'm going to ask Dan at the Outdoor Shop and maybe he can work up a great discount for HCS members B)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by ToddUF7@Jan 6 2003, 09:14 AM
Rob, great report! Hey, you are right in line with the TEAM ARCTIC sno-cross racers w/ the SLP skis. I noticed at the
Winnepeg snocross race Tucker Hibbert, T.J. Gulla, and Kent Ipsen all had the SLP Powder Pros on there race sleds.
Yes, these skis are at their best on a loose broken surface, like you would have on a sno-cross track or a pounded trail on a saturday afternoon. They are just the ticket for the Firecats.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
C&A Pros i know you did not test any, but you feel the Powder Pros are better? Was going to buy C&A Pros but now i dont know??
Thankyou Skydog

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
While I would have loved to include the C&As in the test, they weren't available. I still want to compare them soon. But in my experience, C&As don't seem that great on ice and roads once the carbides get a little dull. Also, they do dart because of their flat-bottom design. The SLP skis have used a "keel" design for years, and I have always liked the way they hold a trail without darting. Now with the "Powder Pro" design, you get the aggressive bite of a C&A ski, but with the no-dart characteristics of a keel design. They will be hard to beat. Clear choice in my mind.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
SWEET THANKYOU One more thing Rob can you change your pic. on the home page, of you next to the Polaris to a FIRECAT!!!! :)
Skydog

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
Rob, hope that we can hook up, so I could try the powder pros, I am running Ultra III's which are the same mold as C&A's and absolutely love them compared to stock, Jay is running the C&A's and both sleds are reacting the same, he's got 8" Bottomlines and I'm running 8" Woody's snocross bars no problems turning at all. Really haven't notice a darting problem yet, but will be more aware of how they react in different conditions next time out.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
So Rob, it sounds like we can safely assume you're going to be running the SLP Powder skis then?! Just a thought for you -- it looks like the SLP Powder ski has a pretty deep keel that might actually raise the front of the sled a bit if the spindle mounting bolt height is respectively raised as well??? If this is indeed the case (I'm sure you'll take some measurments, if you haven't already!) that might be all the more reason for you to consider lengthening your skid limiter straps to the longtest settings. Let me/us know what you think about that idea, and if you try it.

And both SLP skis DID get rid of the minor nervous darting/tracking issues??? I could certainly notice it with the stock skis, even with the proper 1/4" - 3/8" toe-out -- reminded me of my last two XCs before I installed the Tru-Track runners and Sure-Steer carbides! -- Roy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by Roy T@Jan 6 2003, 11:20 AM
So Rob, it sounds like we can safely assume you're going to be running the SLP Powder skis then?! Just a thought for you -- it looks like the SLP Powder ski has a pretty deep keel that might actually raise the front of the sled a bit if the spindle mounting bolt height is respectively raised as well??? If this is indeed the case (I'm sure you'll take some measurments, if you haven't already!) that might be all the more reason for you to consider lengthening your skid limiter straps to the longtest settings. Let me/us know what you think about that idea, and if you try it.

And both SLP skis DID get rid of the minor nervous darting/tracking issues??? I could certainly notice it with the stock skis, even with the proper 1/4" - 3/8" toe-out -- reminded me of my last two XCs before I installed the Tru-Track runners and Sure-Steer carbides! -- Roy
Yes, the Powder Pros will be on my F7 from now on. They don't raise the spindle height.. The ski mounting bolt actually recesses into the ski sides.. A little hard to imagine before seeing it. You have to mount the saddle to the spindle before mounting the ski bottom to the saddle. I may try letting the limiter straps back out, but I'm pretty sure that would return me to wheelie time in a big way.

·
Registered
183 Posts
$400.00 all added up the way I figure it - ouch! I have always loved the way my past cat have turned - a bit disappointed to have to spend money to make it better but if this would fix it I'll have to get a set.

Rob, How much did you shorten your limiter strap? Did you make a new hole? Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally posted by cat716@Jan 6 2003, 11:50 AM
$400.00 all added up the way I figure it - ouch! I have always loved the way my past cat have turned - a bit disappointed to have to spend money to make it better but if this would fix it I'll have to get a set.

Rob, How much did you shorten your limiter strap? Did you make a new hole? Thanks
Mine is a snopro and cam in the longest hole. I raised it one hole, so I'am using the middle hole now. I don't think it is necessary to go any shorter than that. And if you do, you are sacrificing some rear arm travel unless you install spacers in the IFS shocks.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Rob, this sounds like the fix for my darting problems. Now that I have my limiter straps shorter, it seems to corner much better....but I think I have to sacrifice darting for cornering right now. These skis sound like the perfect fix for both.....it just sucks to spend 8000.00 on a sled and have to spend another 400.00 for skis!!!!Not including 80.00 for 8" carbides. <_<

1 - 20 of 28 Posts