Hardcore Sledder banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
My 20 came with a single 4" carbide, which after 400 miles I feel needs to be replaced.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
My RR 2020 had the staggered but I replaced them as soon as I took it off the trailer.

Sent from my SM-C9000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48 Posts
Changing carbides can effect steering authority, steering effort, darting, drag and life of the carbide. The original post asked about darting when changing from the stock dual staggered to the side by side Dooley. I have changed back and forth from one to the other. Neither darts much or very often but I think the staggered carbide has a little less darting. The Dooley definitely has more life. There is little difference other than that.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Yup, I do it often.
Not a big deal.

I don't cross or ride on a bunch of paved roads but they do react well when crossing.

Jeff B In Maine

Sent via my US Cellular rotary dial device.
Hey Jeff
What do the snowtrackers do to steering effort? I don't really want the steering any heavier on my Tcat.
Terry

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Hey Jeff
What do the snowtrackers do to steering effort? I don't really want the steering any heavier on my Tcat.
Terry
It's ALMOST like power steering.
Unless your sitting still.

I'm sure you are thinking, from the looks of these things they have to be difficult to steer and they are not.

Jeff B In Maine

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Here in Quebec snotrackers are by far the most popular brand of runner. They come in both aggressive and semi aggressive styles so you can pick which suits best. They are not aggressive like some think. They actually suggest you lighten up your front end and then just add weight till you get the bite and feel you want. I just use the semi aggressive model on my 1100 and then leave the front set basically neutral. I really believe that shimming you’re skis is more impoctant with trackers than most other runners. The reason I say this is that by shimming your eliminating any tendency for the sled to be grabby on the front. Once set up correctly as said earlier they are like power steering and I’d bet you won’t ever look at another brand.

The longevity of them is unsurpassed as they just slowly wear down to the point you start losing bite. All the while the plate is still like new. I always keep a spare set of Everlaster Blades on hand and can change them out in 10 minutes. New blades is like new carbides and they only cost about $70 cnd for a pair. Someone earlier said the website sucks. I disagree they must have been on a sellers site. The Quebec Snowtracker site explains everything. You can also just google Snowtrackers and they have several English videos explains, theory, setup, aggressiveness, etc.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Here in Quebec snotrackers are by far the most popular brand of runner. They come in both aggressive and semi aggressive styles so you can pick which suits best. They are not aggressive like some think. They actually suggest you lighten up your front end and then just add weight till you get the bite and feel you want. I just use the semi aggressive model on my 1100 and then leave the front set basically neutral. I really believe that shimming you’re skis is more impoctant with trackers than most other runners. The reason I say this is that by shimming your eliminating any tendency for the sled to be grabby on the front. Once set up correctly as said earlier they are like power steering and I’d bet you won’t ever look at another brand.

The longevity of them is unsurpassed as they just slowly wear down to the point you start losing bite. All the while the plate is still like new. I always keep a spare set of Everlaster Blades on hand and can change them out in 10 minutes. New blades is like new carbides and they only cost about $70 cnd for a pair. Someone earlier said the website sucks. I disagree they must have been on a sellers site. The Quebec Snowtracker site explains everything. You can also just google Snowtrackers and they have several English videos explains, theory, setup, aggressiveness, etc.
Well said Boom2.

What are your shimming suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

Jeff B In Maine

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I use no more than 1/4 inch of shimm. I’ve used both methods the one most common is adding the shim under the back 2 inches of the ski boot. I did the shimmy this way on my RR. I cut out little pieces on shimm the exact size of the moulded holes on the ski and only filled the back row. Then took the shim and screwed it to the underpart of the back of the rubber saddle. The shim is about 2 inches and cut to the full width of the saddle. Then just bolt the ski back on. This is where some soften the saddle buy boiling it heating it etc. Makes assembly much easier.

I got lazy on my Turbo and just shimmed on top of the Saddle. Same thing but quicker and easier but if people look close they see the two screws holding the shimm in place. Both ways accomplish the same front lift your looking for. Steers easier, carbide bites better, no fear of catching a railway, more longevity. Simple fix that does many things to improve your safety, comfort, ease of handling etc.

I took some pics to shoe the sleds with the ski lift. Also took a pic from the back of my Turbo spindle showing the shimm with the two screws.

·
Registered
883 Posts
They are putting 11 inch single runners. Not sure on carbide length. Pretty sure the PDI lists checking alignment. Watched my dealer do both my 18 and my 20. I will always be a dual runner guy. Cuts out the issues of crossing other ski lines and not into hard riding any more.

·
Registered
993 Posts
I use no more than 1/4 inch of shimm. I’ve used both methods the one most common is adding the shim under the back 2 inches of the ski boot. I did the shimmy this way on my RR. I cut out little pieces on shimm the exact size of the moulded holes on the ski and only filled the back row. Then took the shim and screwed it to the underpart of the back of the rubber saddle. The shim is about 2 inches and cut to the full width of the saddle. Then just bolt the ski back on. This is where some soften the saddle buy boiling it heating it etc. Makes assembly much easier.

I got lazy on my Turbo and just shimmed on top of the Saddle. Same thing but quicker and easier but if people look close they see the two screws holding the shimm in place. Both ways accomplish the same front lift your looking for. Steers easier, carbide bites better, no fear of catching a railway, more longevity. Simple fix that does many things to improve your safety, comfort, ease of handling etc.

I took some pics to shoe the sleds with the ski lift. Also took a pic from the back of my Turbo spindle showing the shimm with the two screws. View attachment 2104795 View attachment 2104796 View attachment 2104797

I took some pics to shoe the sleds with the ski lift. Also took a pic from the back of my Turbo spindle showing the shimm with the two screws. View attachment 2104795 View attachment 2104796 View attachment 2104797
Are you screwing the shim to the top of the rubber or underneath? In the past I put my shims under the rubber. I usually used a small piece of 1/8" plexiglass maybe 2" X 2" or whatever fit into the space.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Are you screwing the shim to the top of the rubber or underneath? In the past I put my shims under the rubber. I usually used a small piece of 1/8" plexiglass maybe 2" X 2" or whatever fit into the space.
Sorry now I see it says underpart.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts