Hardcore Sledder banner
81 - 100 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
back in the day they did. (77- 90's) oval track was where trailing arms worked better. in the soo i-500 every cat a-arm sled broke down 93-94 Polaris won this race 16 years straight. mostly because they were still running at the end of 500 miles. cat has a terrible record at this race. yes sno-x and xc a-arms proved to be better. so company's did run trailing arms. the Indy made Polaris #1 in sales for thirteen straight years. cat was never #1 in sales with a-arms? so that really wasn't a game changer. ski-doo took over #1 from Polaris in 2003.
You can spin it whatever way you want. Fact remains the wishbone suspension is dominant over trailing arms. Cat proved it and the rest followed. Ice oval racing while fun to watch doesn't relate much to what matters to virtually 100% of what snowmobilers desire...a good handling sled out on the trails. It was a game changer from Cat.

·
Vendor
11,452 Posts
You can spin it whatever way you want. Fact remains the wishbone suspension is dominant over trailing arms. Cat proved it and the rest followed. Ice oval racing while fun to watch doesn't relate much to what matters to virtually 100% of what snowmobilers desire...a good handling sled out on the trails. It was a game changer from Cat.
not enough to be #1 in sales. and that's what really matter's. funny Polaris has hands down the best a-arm front suspension. and didn't copy anyone. best right out of the gate. so you can spin cat's a-arms anyway you want.

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
not enough to be #1 in sales. and that's what really matter's. funny Polaris has hands down the best a-arm front suspension. and didn't copy anyone. best right out of the gate. so you can spin cat's a-arms anyway you want.
But Arctic Cat was the first with double A-Arms and when they came out, Arctic Cat WAS the best handling sled in the industry. Polaris just perfected the concept.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:Best front suspension hands down????? Baaaaaaahahahaha!!
Baaaaaaahahahaha!! WTF....you must get some really high grade weed in your neck of the woods!!! I've never seen a sled that rolls right when turning left and the same going the other way like they do!! The Levi Levallee videos back it up. I guess if that's what you like you can call it the greatest thing since the wheel. Not!!! And if it was the best...thank Cat!!

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
Personally although I believe they evolved into a better mouse trap. I always felt Polaris latest generation of trailing arms were in fact a better front end than what the others were offering at the time. The 03 rev front end was nothing to brag about although I do agree the sled as a whole obviously changed the trajectory of the sport.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
In 1990 I bought a new EXT SP (limited build sled) and also a 1990 Indy 500 SP. Hands down the Cat A arms were better handling. Having owned a Prowler SP and all the ZR's during the '90's and into early 2000's, the Cats' handling was up and down. The early ones were great, then more travel was added and there was way too much inside ski lift. Coupling blocks in 2002 brought the Cat back to the top of the handling amongst sleds.

I have onwed a ProCross and have spent hundreds of miles on a couple VR1's and a Matryx XC. Just my opinion, but I thought hands down the Matryx handled better. Not that I had any complaints about the ProCross handling, it was very nice in that department. (I am currently a SkiDoo rider, hoping maybe to buy an XC 650 this winter, one last hot rod before I turn 70 in six months).

·
Registered
716 Posts
One big hole in this...nobody runs trailing arms. Arctic Cat dominated and destroyed the competition running them in racing for nearly 10 seasons which was the 90s. It was called the ZR and everybody followed suit. I'll give you the rider forward..that was a great game changing innovation. Trailing arms couldn't cut it. If they did they'd still be around.
Polaris and others used trailing arms because they were inexpensive to build and with moderate suspension travel work as well or better than other front end geometry. As suspension travel increased and increased quickly in the 90's the trailing arms found their limit. Polaris fixed a lot of that with CRC and the tipped in trailing arms. Sleds like the '98 XCR 440 and the PRO X sleds actually handled really well. However, by then the industry was at a different point and the used of trailing arms was perceived as effective anymore.

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
I have owned a ProCross and have spent hundreds of miles on a couple VR1's and a Matryx XC. Just my opinion, but I thought hands down the Matryx handled better. Not that I had any complaints about the ProCross handling, it was very nice in that department. (I am currently a SkiDoo rider, hoping maybe to buy an XC 650 this winter, one last hot rod before I turn 70 in six months).
Nice to hear from someone who is NOT blindly brand loyal and has actually owned and ridden multiple and current brands.

·
Registered
716 Posts
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:Best front suspension hands down????? Baaaaaaahahahaha!!
Baaaaaaahahahaha!! WTF....you must get some really high grade weed in your neck of the woods!!! I've never seen a sled that rolls right when turning left and the same going the other way like they do!! The Levi Levallee videos back it up. I guess if that's what you like you can call it the greatest thing since the wheel. Not!!! And if it was the best...thank Cat!!
This perception that the PC chassis has a better front end because it's flat in the corner doesn't make any sense to me. Every chassis will have roll, and if the geometry is right it's exactly what you want. If all you want is flat in the corners stuff a 1.5" sway bar under the thing and have at it. Understanding things like roll center, camber gain and bump steer go a long way when it comes to front suspension. I own a PC and a Matryx. The Matryx one skis more than the PC. I personally like the one ski feel as I know that's where the edge is and I ride the corner with the a little yaw and control my direction with the throttle. When I lose the front end with the PC, I totally lose it and the corner is blown. It's much harder to change direction mid corner.

·
Registered
905 Posts
This perception that the PC chassis has a better front end because it's flat in the corner doesn't make any sense to me. Every chassis will have roll, and if the geometry is right it's exactly what you want. If all you want is flat in the corners stuff a 1.5" sway bar under the thing and have at it. Understanding things like roll center, camber gain and bump steer go a long way when it comes to front suspension. I own a PC and a Matryx. The Matryx one skis more than the PC. I personally like the one ski feel as I know that's where the edge is and I ride the corner with the a little yaw and control my direction with the throttle. When I lose the front end with the PC, I totally lose it and the corner is blown. It's much harder to change direction mid corner.
At the risk of being flamed, this is exactly what I loved about the Firecat handling characteristics. That sled certainly left a lot to be desired in terms of bump performance, and many complained of its tendency to get on one ski, but I thought the ski lift could be well controlled and it had that razor edge feeling you describe.

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
I think what it is is a super flat feel gives some riders , I guess confidence if you will. When a sled one skis and holds that edge it’s unnerving for some. And they never keep pushing on it to get comfortable with the sled and build that confidence that it will hold that edge.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
The best part of the Procross front end stability only means you can push it harder before you lift a ski. I just find certain brands lift too easy or sooner which I don’t like. I don’t want a sled that is sketchy or light on the front end I like the feeling of being planted in a corner like the Procross.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Don't be afraid to try something different. My life-long Cat friend from work "skidoo sucks guy" tried an 850 TNT this past winter and he still raves about how well it handled and how much power it had. I said, "LOL Dave, that's not even the good handling skidoo". Because it's the one that Skidoo riders can't even seem to figure out.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Don't be afraid to try something different. My life-long Cat friend from work "skidoo sucks guy" tried an 850 TNT this past winter and he still raves about how well it handled and how much power it had. I said, "LOL Dave, that's not even the good handling skidoo". Because it's the one that Skidoo riders can't even seem to figure out.
There's a lot to this. "Best Handling" is something you can't put a number on. It's what's best handling for each individual person. For years I rode ATV's with friends and my BIL. My BIL could never get used to sliding a corner. We rode the same machine and I tried over and over to teach him and it just never stuck with him. And yes, he was slow.

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
Ski-Doo's front end performance and handling is very dependent on the quality of shock used .... a XRS with the KYB Pro shocks handles soooo much better than the same chassis with the X-Package, TNT, etc. front shocks.

And don't get me started on Ski-Doo's directive to run cheap shocks on anything other than the XRS.

·
Registered
22 Plum VR1-850/15 Pro-S/15 8RR/21 850 XRS
1,964 Posts
Ski-Doo's front end performance and handling is very dependent on the quality of shock used .... a XRS with the KYB Pro shocks handles soooo much better than the same chassis with the X-Package, TNT, etc. front shocks.

And don't get me started on Ski-Doo's directive to run cheap shocks on anything other than the XRS.
To be fair. Every brand is very dependant on shock quality. I have an xrs, rr, pro-s and a vr1. They all benefit from better shocks calibrations.
I find the xrs front didn’t benefit much from those. And the rmotion isn’t that great in rough stuff. Made more for smooth trails.

81 - 100 of 101 Posts