Hardcore Sledder banner
61 - 80 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
I think numbers of units sold varies a lot depending on the particular area . Here is a total of club members in our club from last season. Now these aren’t all new sleds but I believe our break down is close to real world results or at least in North America. If you notice the total Cat-Yami sleds slightly out number Poo in our area. I believe our area leans toward more 4 strokes because of the higher mileage most ride per year. There is a lot that keeps a brand relevant and servicing and supplying parts for used sleds is an import part of the whole scenario.
Font Wood Recipe Parallel Terrestrial plant

·
Registered
2020 Indy XCR 850
1,059 Posts
Sales are driven by demand from consumers who want the latest and greatest. From what I see, Cat has not changed much since 2012. I think many Cat riders have had no reason to update their ride.
Hopefully this changes when their new chassis is available across the board.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
The 60% refers only to my 2022 sales, not all old iron you might see on the trail. Also I wonder how many late deliveries were included in the stats. For example my dealer delivered all his Doo's by the end of the riding season but maybe only 75% of the Polaris sleds.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
The 60% refers only to my 2022 sales, not all old iron you might see on the trail. Also I wonder how many late deliveries were included in the stats. For example my dealer delivered all his Doo's by the end of the riding season but maybe only 75% of the Polaris sleds.
FWIW, Doo claimed that 95% of its sleds were delivered as at mid-Feb (mind you, some were still missing parts, namely microchips, at that time)

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
FWIW, Doo claimed that 95% of its sleds were delivered as at mid-Feb
I knew a lot of the 5% haha. Doo does play some games, delivered could mean to the dealer and not the customer. Does anyone remember when they got busted years ago registering sleds through dealers that weren’t actually sold? There is no doubt they are number one in sales. But they definitely do some tricky things haha.

·
Registered
21,427 Posts
I believe around 2000 to 2002 all 4 manufacturers had very similar market share. Now it seems to be the Ski-Doo and Polaris show.

Less options for consumers is NOT GOOD for the consumer or the industry.
Back in those days arctic cat was building more sleds than all 4 of them combined now. It’s really shocking how much the market has shrank

·
Vendor
11,452 Posts
I'm a Polaris guy. but you can not take away what ski-doo has done since 1991. ski-doo was once the sales leader. sold more sleds then all mfg. combined. then they lost there way. sled sales were down BRP builds leer jets, trains, etc. there focus was on these. then as the sled industry was turning around ski-doo was in last place. racing them self's on the oval track. Polaris and cat made terrain racing there personal battle ground. both either had or came close to a near death experience. ski-doo woke up. took them from 1991 to 2003 to take over #1 in sales. they did this by building better and better sleds. i personally am friends with a guy that's high up at BRP. the first trailing arm suspension doo had that worked was a copy of the Polaris trailing arm. S2000 chassis i believe. they bought a 1992 xcr440 had it in Valcourt, and built a better INDY. they kept improving and improving there product. great Rotax motors, better and better clutching, then the game changer arrived. the REV. rider forward is now the standard. they don't have the recalls of the other brands. they beat Yamaha at the four stroke game. there light, not a heavy fat pig. they only see Polaris as competition. Yamaha is done. going all in on four strokes killed them. cat right behind. to little to late for cat. in this business you lead follow or get out of the way. ski-doo leads Polaris follows the rest are no threat. in my area it's all ski-doo and Polaris if you see a cat it's from the 90's Yamaha are non existence. like there already gone. if Polaris is going to beat ski-doo? you going to have to build a better sled. plain and simple

·
Registered
430 Posts
I think numbers of units sold varies a lot depending on the particular area . Here is a total of club members in our club from last season. Now these aren’t all new sleds but I believe our break down is close to real world results or at least in North America. If you notice the total Cat-Yami sleds slightly out number Poo in our area. I believe our area leans toward more 4 strokes because of the higher mileage most ride per year. There is a lot that keeps a brand relevant and servicing and supplying parts for used sleds is an import part of the whole scenario. View attachment 2135896
There you go, some more realistic numbers, actual proof vs. claimed. I get it that these aren't all new sleds, but certainly more representative.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Northstarrick did a great job summing it up.

My dealer had Cat and SkiDoo since way back when. After the REV came out, pretty much all his Cat customers switched over to SkiDoo. A few years ago he was down to selling 25 Doo's to 1 Cat. He finally gave up his Cat franchise. A couple years ago he even stopped taking Cats in trade as they were having so many mechanical problems.

It appears Polaris has been trying really hard to make a big comeback in the sled end of things. I have rented three Matryx's to get a feel for them and to see if the hype was real. I was blown away, what a FUN sled!

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I'm a Polaris guy. but you can not take away what ski-doo has done since 1991. ski-doo was once the sales leader. sold more sleds then all mfg. combined. then they lost there way. sled sales were down BRP builds leer jets, trains, etc. there focus was on these. then as the sled industry was turning around ski-doo was in last place. racing them self's on the oval track. Polaris and cat made terrain racing there personal battle ground. both either had or came close to a near death experience. ski-doo woke up. took them from 1991 to 2003 to take over #1 in sales. they did this by building better and better sleds. i personally am friends with a guy that's high up at BRP. the first trailing arm suspension doo had that worked was a copy of the Polaris trailing arm. S2000 chassis i believe. they bought a 1992 xcr440 had it in Valcourt, and built a better INDY. they kept improving and improving there product. great Rotax motors, better and better clutching, then the game changer arrived. the REV. rider forward is now the standard. they don't have the recalls of the other brands. they beat Yamaha at the four stroke game. there light, not a heavy fat pig. they only see Polaris as competition. Yamaha is done. going all in on four strokes killed them. cat right behind. to little to late for cat. in this business you lead follow or get out of the way. ski-doo leads Polaris follows the rest are no threat. in my area it's all ski-doo and Polaris if you see a cat it's from the 90's Yamaha are non existence. like there already gone. if Polaris is going to beat ski-doo? you going to have to build a better sled. plain and simple
One big hole in this...nobody runs trailing arms. Arctic Cat dominated and destroyed the competition running them in racing for nearly 10 seasons which was the 90s. It was called the ZR and everybody followed suit. I'll give you the rider forward..that was a great game changing innovation. Trailing arms couldn't cut it. If they did they'd still be around.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Northstarrick did a great job summing it up.

My dealer had Cat and SkiDoo since way back when. After the REV came out, pretty much all his Cat customers switched over to SkiDoo. A few years ago he was down to selling 25 Doo's to 1 Cat. He finally gave up his Cat franchise. A couple years ago he even stopped taking Cats in trade as they were having so many mechanical problems.

It appears Polaris has been trying really hard to make a big comeback in the sled end of things. I have rented three Matryx's to get a feel for them and to see if the hype was real. I was blown away, what a FUN sled!
Has he stopped taking Polaris sleds in trade now for the same reason?

·
Vendor
11,452 Posts
One big hole in this...nobody runs trailing arms. Arctic Cat dominated and destroyed the competition running them in racing for nearly 10 seasons which was the 90s. It was called the ZR and everybody followed suit. I'll give you the rider forward..that was a great game changing innovation. Trailing arms couldn't cut it. If they did they'd still be around.
back in the day they did. (77- 90's) oval track was where trailing arms worked better. in the soo i-500 every cat a-arm sled broke down 93-94 Polaris won this race 16 years straight. mostly because they were still running at the end of 500 miles. cat has a terrible record at this race. yes sno-x and xc a-arms proved to be better. so company's did run trailing arms. the Indy made Polaris #1 in sales for thirteen straight years. cat was never #1 in sales with a-arms? so that really wasn't a game changer. ski-doo took over #1 from Polaris in 2003.

61 - 80 of 101 Posts