Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there might of been a thread on this already but anyway, I’m ordering a 23 ski doo Adrenaline with the 4-stroke in the spring. I’m not a real aggressive rider and am wondering what everyone’s thoughts might be on the 900 ace and also should I get the turbo for the extra power? Not 100% sure. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
First sled? Will it be your first 4 stroke? The 900 ace is awesome..but I am not a fan myself of 4 strokes.

The ace I rode (actually a couple of them) did not perform like a 2 stroke at all. The turbo definitely has more power (obviously) and to me is closer to the 2 strokes in overall power.

Apple's to oranges.

Hope when you do order your machine you don't have to wait forever to get it👍

·
Super Moderator
2016 1200 Renegade X
320 Posts
What kind of riding do you do? Trail, off-trail, 2 up?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
The 900 Ace motor is bullet proof gas and go and has been completely proven on snow, dirt, water and asphalt. Torque is instant and even though the NA 900 Ace is only rated at a measly 90HP there are plenty of intertube vids showing that the sled is right there with 120+ HP 600 two smokers from a dead stop. Most that have complained later find out they were riding with the throttle in Normal or Eco mode rather than Sport which again is just another side benefit over the smoker.

My son has 7000 miles on the 2014 Gade I bought new and all it has needed is a couple of oil changes, a belt and a few sets of wear rods. After 8 seasons of riding it is the ONLY sled I would have zero hesitation of keeping for another decade of riding and another 7 - 10K - 50K miles. It still runs like the day it was new even now that he is 24 and has ridden it hard for all those years.

As for turbo or not it boils down to this. Do you want near 600 two smoke performance or do you want better than 850 two smoke performance? I am currently in my 3rd season with my 900 turbo and it has been excellent after owning a string of 600 two smokers and a 1200. If you have the cash just get the Turbo. You won't regret it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The 900 Ace motor is bullet proof gas and go and has been completely proven on snow, dirt, water and asphalt. Torque is instant and even though the NA 900 Ace is only rated at a measly 90HP there are plenty of intertube vids showing that the sled is right there with 120+ HP 600 two smokers from a dead stop. Most that have complained later find out they were riding with the throttle in Normal or Eco mode rather than Sport which again is just another side benefit over the smoker.

My son has 7000 miles on the 2014 Gade I bought new and all it has needed is a couple of oil changes, a belt and a few sets of wear rods. After 8 seasons of riding it is the ONLY sled I would have zero hesitation of keeping for another decade of riding and another 7 - 10K - 50K miles. It still runs like the day it was new even now that he is 24 and has ridden it hard for all those years.

As for turbo or not it boils down to this. Do you want near 600 two smoke performance or do you want better than 850 two smoke performance? I am currently in my 3rd season with my 900 turbo and it has been excellent after owning a string of 600 two smokers and a 1200. If you have the cash just get the Turbo. You won't regret it.
Ok thanks very much I’ll go with the turbo. Coming down from Polaris. I’ve had Polaris for years but I’m tired of the 2strokes. I want to just ride without having the oil. Just gas and go(for miles) 😂

·
Registered
609 Posts
the NA 900 Ace is only rated at a measly 90HP
Not to be a stickler but housed in the G4 chassis the mill puts out 95 hp (thanks to airbox and exhaust changes introduced in fitting it to the G4 platform). FWIW, the difference between the XS and G4 applications, while not earth-shattering, are noticeable from the saddle.

As others have said, the engine has a wonderfully broad spread of power that helps pull you out of corners with surprising zest. You'll never be first across the lake, but you'll be the first to leave the gas pump. Sticking to the non-turbo version also means not having to deal with the imprecise throttle action which has afflicted the turbo since its introduction (supposed to be fixed in 2022 but I cannot confirm as I have not ridden one yet).

The sled is quite light for a four-stroke and it is easily the quietest sled on the snow if that matters to you.

Last thing, why not check on dootalk?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Not to be a stickler but housed in the G4 chassis the mill puts out 95 hp (thanks to airbox and exhaust changes introduced in fitting it to the G4 platform). FWIW, the difference between the XS and G4 applications, while not earth-shattering, are noticeable from the saddle.

As others have said, the engine has a wonderfully broad spread of power that helps pull you out of corners with surprising zest. You'll never be first across the lake, but you'll be the first to leave the gas pump. Sticking to the non-turbo version also means not having to deal with the imprecise throttle action which has afflicted the turbo since its introduction (supposed to be fixed in 2022 but I cannot confirm as I have not ridden one yet).

The sled is quite light for a four-stroke and it is easily the quietest sled on the snow if that matters to you.

I think he's already decided on the Turbo. As for the throttle. Are you talking about the same one that has been complained about since Doo fitted it to a sled? And even before that how the Lester's could hardly ride the 1200 4Tec because of lag?

It boils down to some ride the sled, some let the sled ride them. There was nothing wrong with the iTC on my 14' 900, my 16' 1200 and now my 20' 900 turbo. I squeeze the throttle and the sled goes where I point it.

Mounting the rheostat on the engine so they could insert a cable between there and the flipper was so that some could go back to the days of enjoying a sore thumb after 300 mile days. For a ton of riders like me I have simply enjoyed the benefits of adjustable modes to match the response to the type of ride or rider, lighter feel, reversible from push to pull and no chance of a frozen or stuck cable.
I am interested to try the "new and improved" throttle with a cable attached to it as I have a demo ride scheduled on a 900R next week.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I think he's already decided on the Turbo. As for the throttle. Are you talking about the same one that has been complained about since Doo fitted it to a sled? And even before that how the Lester's could hardly ride the 1200 4Tec because of lag?

It boils down to some ride the sled, some let the sled ride them. There was nothing wrong with the iTC on my 14' 900, my 16' 1200 and now my 20' 900 turbo. I squeeze the throttle and the sled goes where I point it.

Mounting the rheostat on the engine so they could insert a cable between there and the flipper was so that some could go back to the days of enjoying a sore thumb after 300 mile days. For a ton of riders like me I have simply enjoyed the benefits of adjustable modes to match the response to the type of ride or rider, lighter feel, reversible from push to pull and no chance of a frozen or stuck cable.
I am interested to try the "new and improved" throttle with a cable attached to it as I have a demo ride scheduled on a 900R next week.
I have not been a big fan of the iTC since it came out, but it was livable in the 900 non-turbo and 1200. It's ok for long open trails on the turbo, but tight trails and technical riding (bumps) are a challenge on the Turbo. I have tried every version, in every model variation and the result has always been the same. The slight turbo lag, onslaught of torque (which is impressive!) and the original rMotion suspension made it a handful. It was better with the rMotionX but still not ideal. The iTC design does offer some advantages (ability to change the throttle position and a light action), but for the type of throttle action and feedback I like, it's a deal breaker (or was on pre-2022 models anyhow). Now, I have not tried the throttle on the 900R, but spoke to a few who have tried it and they said it was better (could hardly be worse IMO, from a control standpoint anyhow). Truthfully, they could have simply added more resistance (via a spring) to the throttle lever from day one and resolved most of the problems, but alas...

As for the Lesters... lol, I put ZERO credence in anything they say. I like to make up my own mind and have the luxury of having access to sleds to do so.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Ok I will thankyou

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Be interesting to see how you like the 900R.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I have not been a big fan of the iTC since it came out, but it was livable in the 900 non-turbo and 1200. It's ok for long open trails on the turbo, but tight trails and technical riding (bumps) are a challenge on the Turbo. I have tried every version, in every model variation and the result has always been the same. The slight turbo lag, onslaught of torque (which is impressive!) and the original rMotion suspension made it a handful. It was better with the rMotionX but still not ideal. The iTC design does offer some advantages (ability to change the throttle position and a light action), but for the type of throttle action and feedback I like, it's a deal breaker (or was on pre-2022 models anyhow). Now, I have not tried the throttle on the 900R, but spoke to a few who have tried it and they said it was better (could hardly be worse IMO, from a control standpoint anyhow). Truthfully, they could have simply added more resistance (via a spring) to the throttle lever from day one and resolved most of the problems, but alas...

As for the Lesters... lol, I put ZERO credence in anything they say. I like to make up my own mind and have the luxury of having access to sleds to do so.
Lesters....Whichever way the money makes the winds blow is how they seem to operate.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have 3 900aces. A 15,18 and a 20. I really don’t notice any power difference between the 90 and 95hp sleds. I love everything about the sleds except I wish they had a little more top end speed. They will top out at 85mph in just about any condition. 90 on a really hard packed trail. I used to have all 600 2 strokes before I switched to 4 strokes and consider myself somewhat of an aggressive rider. If your happy with an 85mph top speed go with the n/a. If not get the turbo.

·
Registered
2 x 2021 900T's- 1435 KM
1,666 Posts
We had the 900NA in our 2014's..Like stated above , fun sled but lacks that scare yourself acceleration.
They have the 3 modes so can be set to your riding style which is awesome..
We Love our 900T's..Gas and GO!!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thankyou everyone for your replies. I’m pretty exited to ride a 4-stroke. My daughters family and all her in-laws families ride ski-doo. She’s been after me 4-ever to buy a ski-doo and come down from Polaris.🤣 I’ve had no problems with my Polaris 600’s but I’m tired of the oil. Time to get a 4-stroke and ride. Gas and Go!😂

·
Registered
522 Posts
My wife has a 2016 900;ace renegade and it has been flawless! Not one issue. Can’t believe the torque it makes and mileage it offers, excellent. I made a bit better with a set of X package rear shocks and like it a lot.now all four shocks are serviceable. Great sled.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts