Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,just looking for suggestions on how to eliminate darting on the front end of my 2015 switchback.This is my first twin cylinder(light front end)I've been riding nose heavy triples since 1989 so this experience is kinda new to me.We used to rectify this condition with easy steer or true steer plates.i hear twin 4" carbides work but I'm afraid i'll lose top speed.Wondering what you guys think?Thanks

·
Registered
16,827 Posts
which switchback is it? Pro-S , Pro-X or 600 Switchback SP?

also check for correct toe out and for sloppy bushings in the a-arms. Shocks in need of a service will in my experience make the front end feel nervous too

·
Registered
227 Posts
I made my own ski shims out of a piece of Hy-Fax. There's posts on HCS about it. Made a big difference. Not very hard..

·
Registered
2012 Pro R Switchback
3,913 Posts
I made my own ski shims out of a piece of Hy-Fax. There's posts on HCS about it. Made a big difference. Not very hard..

did the same and made a difference. Note that there is no cure for tracking into other peoples tracks that have dual carbides or those super trackers that dig a trench in the snow. It is what it is

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've got a 15 switchback adventure, Bergstrom triples, ski savers, and shims. Lighten up the front end and soften up the clickers, works for me and I'm over 250 lbs. Dual carbides work also but nothing is perfect and all have draw backs. Stay on the throttle lean back and have fun.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guys for all the great ideas.I tried to take out the ski bolt but she won't budge.The bolt turns fine,hit the thread end with a punch and hammer but no go.Wondering if there is a notch in the bolt that is timed to only go through the ski one way?How thick of a shim should I put?It's a pro s btw.What would that thread of ski shimming be listed under?

·
Registered
272 Posts
I know a lot of people don't like them but I have been using Woody's Dually's for years and they work great! Have them on my ProS and had them on my old ProR. Sled tracks straight down the trail and corners just fine for me.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I know a lot of people don't like them but I have been using Woody's Dually's for years and they work great! Have them on my ProS and had them on my old ProR. Sled tracks straight down the trail and corners just fine for me.
I think the woodys slim jim dooleys work great. I have had them on all my sleds. For me they push in the icy corner so I usually just run them in the UP of Michigan, zero darting.. If you're not an aggressive rider in twisty trails - they work great. Shim your skis though - otherwise it will wear out the front of your carbide quick.

·
Registered
16,827 Posts
thanks guys for all the great ideas.I tried to take out the ski bolt but she won't budge.The bolt turns fine,hit the thread end with a punch and hammer but no go.
bolt frozen in the bushing ... it'll most likely take some :wall:, heat and violence to get out

·
Registered
684 Posts
thanks guys for all the great ideas.I tried to take out the ski bolt but she won't budge.The bolt turns fine,hit the thread end with a punch and hammer but no go.Wondering if there is a notch in the bolt that is timed to only go through the ski one way?How thick of a shim should I put?It's a pro s btw.What would that thread of ski shimming be listed under?

I had one that was bent. I had to grind off the head, pound it out the other way, and get a new bolt (not cheap)

·
Registered
88 Posts
bolt frozen in the bushing ... it'll most likely take some :wall:, heat and violence to get out

I usually use my trusty ball joint press on stuff like that. Once the bolt is in flush I will find a short bolt to keep on pushing it through. Then a longer bolt if needed.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey guys,thanks for the tip.1/4" piece of rubber flap sized for the rear of the insulator affixed with a small self tapper really did the trick.Removed about 75% of the darting.didn't want the drag of the double carbides.the rest of it I can live with.Thanks again,you guys are always real helpful.i hope people realize how nice it is to have different perspectives of how to repair sometimes the most mundane to quite involved repairs.saves the dyselfers time and money.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Go to the hardware store and ask for toilet shins. Cheap and easy if one is not enough use two!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts